Distance

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ivanwi11iams, Jul 27, 2016.

1. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

Sometimes, while at work, I leave my iPhone on my desk, and go to other areas of the building. From time to time, in doing so, my Apple Watch (Stainless Steel, Space Black), loses connection with my iPhone.

What is the average distance one can be away from the iPhone?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

BT mandates a 10m (radius) minimum in an unobstructed environment. Every situation is unique and distances, conditions and environments will vary.

3. ivanwi11iams thread starter Contributor

ivanwi11iams

Curious, if the iPhone is connected to WIFI, does that help with connectivity to the Apple Watch at all?
    Someone on another forum has sort of alluded to that, hence the question...

4. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Yes, if the watch and iPhone are both on the same WiFi network, then the two will remain connected and behave the same as if they were connected via BT. But, if your watch is losing its connection, that means that it is either outside of WiFi or cannot connect due to some other WiFi security configuration blocking the watch.

5. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

Also depends on type of WIFI.
    Here at my work we have authentication based so after you connect to the WIFi and open any website you have a Portal to agree with rules.
    This sort of wifi I believe is not compatible with that feature that keeps Apple Watch and iPhone connected even when not in bluetooth range. At least for me it doesn't :)

6. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

Just to add to what exxxviii said: Many corporate/large organization networks use wireless security/authentication settings that will not necessarily allow your watch to connect to Wifi even if your iPhone is. When you authenticate to my office wireless it will prompt you to install a certificate. I do not believe there is a way to pass this certificate over to the watch. At least I know my watch doesn't work over Wifi here. The way to test it is to connect your iPhone to Wifi and then disable bluetooth. See if your watch and your iPhone can still communicate. On a typical home wireless network with WPA2 Personal encryption, the watch and iPhone should connect over Wifi. On a corporate network it may not work, so you are stuck using Bluetooth's limited range.

Sean

7. ivanwi11iams thread starter Contributor

ivanwi11iams

So, there is no WIFI setup per se' on the Apple Watch, it merely 'accepts' the connection from the WIFI on the iPhone?
    If yes, that makes sense. Thanks

--- Post Merged, Jul 27, 2016 ---
    Thanks for the info everyone, this is brilliant. I had no idea that the watch could 'communicate' over WIFI, too.
    And, we all know the range on Bluetooth is limited...