District 9

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by leekohler, Aug 17, 2009.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I can't believe there isn't a thread for this yet. Saw it yesterday and loved it. It was non-stop and completely great.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I put District 1 - 8 in my Netflix queue. Once I watch those I can't wait to see District 9.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Haha- you'll be waiting a while. ;)

4. Nadav macrumors regular

The movie really wasn't anything special. It was good, not great, not terrible. When I first left the theatre I was impressed, but over time thinking about the movie, it really just doesn't have any memorable parts. There were so many plot holes that just didn't make any sense, and the ending was extremely predictable. The special effects were great because they weren't too extravagant, and I was shocked to hear that this movie only had a 30 million dollar budget.

This movie could have been great if there weren't so many cliches. I give this a 7/10.

Edit: I did love the apartheid theme, and had the movie been more focused on that, the movie would have been much more interesting.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Nadav....

What plot holes are you referring to?

I liked the movie. There were some cliche scenes don't get me wrong. But overall I really liked the movie.

6. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I really enjoyed it too. The ending was a lot of fun! :)

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I did like the ending quite a bit.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yup me to.... They so left this open for a part two also.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I just got back from seeing it. It was okay. Well made but nothing spectacular plot-wise... the ending was fine but started to feel a little Transformers to me...

10. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

It was awesome!! I was expecting an alien vs. human war movie (Somewhat) but I was wrong and I am glad I was!!

11. Queso macrumors G4

Looks a bit like the premise of Alien Nation, but I'll go see it when it's out and judge then :)

12. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

The plot definitely had some problems.

How were the humans able to so easily understand the aliens foreign language? Same for the aliens understanding english.

The aliens were clearly much stronger than humans but didn't offer up much resistance. Why would the aliens give up their truly superior weaponry to the humans?

They were going to go door to door evicting aliens and sending them to a tent city? :rolleyes:

Why did the government just let the aliens ride camp out in the sky for 20 years, hovering and all that and looking ominous? Clearly it was an eye sore to the community and should've been properly dismantled or destroyed.

So the aliens love canned cat food? :rolleyes:

The Nigerians always get the bad rap. ;)

13. Xavier macrumors 68020

Great action alien movie! I got a advanced screening ticket from blockbuster and saw it on the 13th. Loved it, and want to see it again

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- but it's Hollywood. :)

15. Nadav macrumors regular

Jecapaga pretty much summed up all of my problems with the movie. I thought the first half was much better than the latter, and had the second half been up to par with the first, it really would have been an excellent movie (for me). Who else was really annoyed that this movie had to have the antagonist that would just never die even though everyone else was being blown up? I think that is what disturbed me the most about the second half of the film.

16. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Bah. It was a fun, but really well made, alien movie. I enjoyed it, and tried not to ruin it by thinking too much. Any movie that makes me want to see the destruction of all humanity by the end of it certainly has my vote! :)

17. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

I think most of the plot holes can be addressed with a few facts from the movie.

1) The majority of the aliens were workers (think bees). They didn't have much intelligence or motivation other than personal gain and protection. Apparently, most of the leaders were no longer there, which would leave the workers in a vagrant state. Although the movie never states it clearly, I felt that Christopher Johnson and his friend (who was helping him build the cylinder) were part of a "ruler" class - more intelligent, emotional, and free willed.

2) Van Der Merwe isn't a smart (or good) person for most of the movie. He's a pencil pushing dweeb who really had no clue what he was doing until he started learning about Christopher.

I'd give it 8/10, and a definite recommendation to any one who likes alien movies.

18. sthursby macrumors member

I've been pretty stoked to see this since I saw the short back in the wintertime, hopefully I'll get around to it this week.

19. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I don't know if I would call them plot holes thou..

The cat food, same thing happened on alien nation.... they liked our sour milk. :D

Language.. they were here for 20+ years.........

They gave up the weapons, because they new the humans couldn't use and they were not the fighters.. they were the workers. It almost felt like they were slaves given the shape they were found in etc.

20. anitrajw macrumors regular

This was a really good moive, I even stayed up considering I went to an 11pm showing

21. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I thought the movie was great. One of my favorites of the year.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I just saw a trailer for this online and thought jolly thoughts since it said "out August 13th" or something. Oh but not in the UK. September? Eff that in the a.

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It was definitely a good time. I enjoyed it a lot. This is what summer movies should be- fun, but not stupid.

24. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I saw it and liked it. I'm guessing the alien ship will return--this time with more warlike, intelligent creatures who may get pissed that their comrades were treated so badly by us. The tables will turn and we'll be the ones in camps. lol

25. bearbear macrumors regular

I liked it a lot and also liked that most of the dialogue was improv as it gives it a little more genuine-feel.