Ditch grandfathered unlimited data plan or not?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macswitcha2, Nov 10, 2011.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

Ok, if you can pay half of your current monthly plan because of an employee discount, would you do it if it required loosing your grandfathered unlimited data plan? Mind you, the employee plan would give me 4GB plus tethering for $20, $20 for 2000 anytime min, unlimited nights and weekends, plus free texting.

2. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I wouldn't mind LOSING my unlimited data plan if I currently never or rarely hit 4GB a month. If you are going over that all the time then you might have a problem....but unlimited is only 5GB right?

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

How much data do you use each month, if you use more than 4GB then it's probably worth keeping the unlimited, if not then save the money and get rid of the unlimited.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Are you considering placing your personal number on your works phone plan? If so that sounds ludicrous. They would have access to all the time you spent on personal calls, when and to whom. Plus if you quite or get fired you could have difficulty getting the number back.

If this is a work phone then why aren't they paying for it?

Other than that then I agree with the others that it depends on how much data you use or how much data you think you would use if they sorted out their systems to provide reliable cable modem speeds.

5. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, I have to check it out.

Nahh, this plan is for personal phone not work phone. I don't even get a work phone. This is just a special plan for being an employee at the particular company.

6. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, I looked at my usage but not sure if I'm reading it right. If so, my usage is astronomical, probably because I tether my phone. As of now, my data usage is at 13020.6 MB...don't know what that is in GBs.

However, my past data usages in the last 6 months for each month have all been in the double digits (20+ GBs). Is this because of tethering?

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's about 13GBs of data.

8. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok... So ditching my unlimited data plan seems outragious unless I can find a way to find an inexpensive wifi service.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well you shouldn't be using tethering as your primary internet service. I'm surprised your carrier (AT&T?) hasn't sent you a notice about this.

10. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

No It's not AT&T...however, I'm thinking of getting wireless internet through them. Do they offer wifi internet?

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Who is your carrier? Also AT&T has over 40,000 Wi-Fi hotspots all over the US and increasing per day.

You also have AT&T U-Verse or DSL for home service.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yes that is because of tethering. You probably should find another way to get internet on your computer since your carrier is likely to figure out that you have been tethering and kick you off since none of the unlimited plans allow it.