Do All iPads crash Apple's own site on iOS 7?

Does Safari crash on your iPad with the following Apple link?

• Yes, it crashes while it is loading or after zooming in/double tap (portrait or landscape)

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • No, it is stable using it in portrait or landscape mode

Votes: 50 53.2%

• Total voters

touchipods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
I believe every iPad running iOS 7 will crash Safari going to Apple's own site:

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/features/

It crashes either when it is loading the website or after it completely loads and try to zoom in/double tap. This page is the ultimate litmus test to see whether Apple finally fixed the JavaScript/Webkit/HTML memory leak in Safari. If it works fine in portrait mode, try using it in landscape and then zoom in/double tap.

iOS 7 consumes too much System RAM (thus leaving low free RAM) and why Safari crashes so much compared to iOS 6. Perhaps 7.1 beta's added more free RAM compared to 7.0.4?

It seems the iPad 4 may not crash on this site although need confirmation.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Crashed first, then loaded ok - until I zoomed (double-tap). If I zoomed further down the page, it was ok, until scrolling back up to top and changing the zoom level. Restart didn't help.

Diagnostics show MobileSafari crashed with a Low Memory error.

iPad Air 128GB

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It doesn't crash on my iPad mini. Scrolling isn't as smooth as normal but I can navigate around the page.

pocketpenguin

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
I just posted in the other thread on this topic...crashes 100% of the time after I scroll and double tap to zoom in and out, usually on the zoom out.

Also crashed on Chrome and Mercury browsers. Like all browsers on iOS, they use WebKit like Safari does. So the problem seems to be in the WebKit libraries on 64 bit machines.

bevsb2

macrumors 68000
Nov 23, 2012
Crashed almost immediately on my iPad 4, iPad Air and rMini. All 3 devices crash infrequently otherwise.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
iPad 4 16gb cellular, iOS 7.0.4

It's a big page granted, but did not crash for me. Scrolled, zoomed, scrolled whilst zoomed.

RoyalElephant

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2013
My iPad(3rd Generation) and my friends iPad (also 3rd Generation) have been very unstable everywhere since the introduction of iOS 7 and yes certain websites such as the iPhone 5S section of Apples website make Safari crash.

I'm very unhappy with this and using other iPads, such as iPad 2 and iPad 4 which apple still produce(iPad 2) and were producing(iPad 4) on iOS 7's release are far more stable.

I can understand it with the far more powerful iPad 4 but how is the iPad 2 and even the mini far more stable than my 3?

I find it totally unacceptable and don't really know where to go from here. I don't enjoy my iPad as it is right now and i'm really hoping to see it fixed with 7.1.

Feel like an iPhone 3G owner all over again. lol. Ok it's not nearly as bad as that.

Oh also, my iPhone 5 is perfectly stable iOS 7. So I know it's not actually iOS 7 itself.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Did anyone who has Safari crashing try clearing their cache and history to see if that corrects the problem.

My wife's mini, (gen 1) has Safari issues until I cleared cache/history.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Apples website works fine on my original iPad mini and my iPhone 5c-both with the latest version of ios7. My iPod touch 4th gen with ios6 also works fine.

Your problem will be fixed in the next update I'm sure.

Are u running to many apps at once? Try restarting the ipad and close the apps.

bevsb2

macrumors 68000
Nov 23, 2012
Did anyone who has Safari crashing try clearing their cache and history to see if that corrects the problem.

I cleared the history on my iPad Air and the Apple site didn't crash when I just now tried it again. Thanks for the tip.

macfacts

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron

Apple products are suppose to just work. No micro managing needed. This is unacceptable for the prices we pay.

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
Crashed when I open the page on iPad Air (iOS 7.0.3). I used private mode after clearing the cache and it still crashes.

Edit: It would help if those that reply please list your iOS version.

Last edited:

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Apple products are suppose to just work. No micro managing needed. This is unacceptable for the prices we pay.
Although I agree it should just work, the prices we pay aren't exorbitant. With the same money you can get a much worse tablet from a different company. A $200k Lamborghini fails on demand too.