Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2018
Over the course of the last 2-3 months, I kept adding some large files to the Documents folder on my Mac (with the option for the Documents and Desktop being synced via iCloud). I originally figured I'd delete them from there once I don't use them anymore since I don't want to upgrade my iCloud storage plan (I'm on the 50GB plan currently), however, my iCloud storage (as shown in System Preferences under the iCloud panel, for example) does not seem to fill up.

My documents folder now contains >20GB of storage, but none of them are visible in the iCloud settings panel, not even when I select the "Manage Storage" option. All these files however are stored in iCloud and sync perfectly. So I'm wondering, do the contents of stuff like the Documents folder for whatever reason not count towards the storage from your iCloud storage plan? Or are they just "invisible" in the storage plan but will still throw an error once I exceed my storage plan thanks to the Documents folder? I'm a little confused by this. When I access the iCloud preferences from any other device (my iPhone, for example) it will show the same available free space as on my Mac (currently still more than 23GB, and none of the occupied ~27GB is accounted for my Documents folder). Many of these files are also now in the iCloud for several weeks so it's not like the storage just didn't have any time to update since or anything like that.

I mean if the storage for some reason does not count indeed towards my iCloud storage then I certainly won't complain; then I can just keep those files in there without upgrading my storage plan which is fine by me. But I'm afraid that it does count towards it and just doesn't show as such in the system preferences, and will at some point throw an error that my cloud space is full when I don't expect it. Does anyone have experience with this?

Edit: added screenshots to show what I mean. Documents folder is more than 21GB of size, which means my iCloud storage should be almost full, but instead it doesn't show up in the iCloud space overview and still shows >23GB of space as being available.

Edit 2: The "Other Documents"-category under System Preferences -> iCloud -> Manage Storage is showing up as 0KB, even though I do have not just folders but also a few documents saved in the top level location of iCloud Drive. Is this normal, even when you do have documents there, that they are not accounted for in this particular setting? I added a screenshot for it.

Attachments

• Documents folder size.png
    Documents folder size.png
    208.3 KB · Views: 142
  • iCloud storage.png
    iCloud storage.png
    24 KB · Views: 85
  • Other Documents.png
    Other Documents.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.