Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wry

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
I had read somewhere that continuously rewriting data on an SSD will wear out the number of write cycles it has and cause it to fail. I reset my new iPad Air so I could restore it from an iCloud backup and get access to my Google Authenticator, but I couldn't, so I reset it again and set it back up as new. Cleared out around 50GB of storage and I feel like that might have taken a toll on the device.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I had read somewhere that continuously rewriting data on an SSD will wear out the number of write cycles it has and cause it to fail. I reset my new iPad Air so I could restore it from an iCloud backup and get access to my Google Authenticator, but I couldn't, so I reset it again and set it back up as new. Cleared out around 50GB of storage and I feel like that might have taken a toll on the device.

The NAND flash chips on iPads probably have something like 3,000 P/E cycles minimum.

That translates to the following NAND write limits:
  • 64GB: 192 TBW
  • 128GB: 384 TBW
  • 256GB: 768 TBW
  • 512GB: 1.5 PBW
  • 1TB: 3 PBW
  • 2TB: 6 PBW

Personally, I wouldn’t even worry about 50GB written daily. Come to think of it, I believe that’s actually how much my desktop regularly writes to the SSD per day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.