Do I really need a case?

zin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
I pre-ordered an iPhone 6 and upgrading from an iPhone 4S. I've had the 4S for almost 3 years and the only "case" I ever used is the Apple rubber bumper thing that fits around the edges. There are zero scratches and no sign of wear on the device, just on the rubber bumper.

Do I need a case for the iPhone 6? Mostly for iPhone 5/5S users, how easily does the aluminium back scratch?

JD84

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I always put my new phones in cases I like to be extra safe with them, I say get a case you can never have to much protection.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
If you want a kickstand yes you need a case :)

I pre-ordered an iPhone 6 and upgrading from an iPhone 4S. I've had the 4S for almost 3 years and the only "case" I ever used is the Apple rubber bumper thing that fits around the edges. There are zero scratches and no sign of wear on the device, just on the rubber bumper.

Do I need a case for the iPhone 6? Mostly for iPhone 5/5S users, how easily does the aluminium back scratch?

Vikinguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
im thinking im going with one of those skins this time. this thing it too sexy to cover up.

bueller1

Suspended
Jun 13, 2012
I never used a case on any of my iPhones. Since day 1. Mostly because they dont feel nice in the hand, too bulky. AppleCare+ gives me ease of mind so when I drop it im not that worried. But this time around i might get a case. Sleekest one i can find. Now that its pretty thin having a case wont feel so bad.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
nope.... no case.

i put a phantomskinz on my iPhone (and iPad mini) cuz it makes it more me but no added bulk!

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013

I own a Black/Slate 5, and I use a TPU case, but not to prevent scratches.

The iPhone 5 is too thin and edged for me to hold comfortably. The 6 has smooth edges, and the extra width may make it easier to hold, but the only way to know for sure whether you need a case is to hold the phone.

ram161

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
I've never put on a case on an iPhone... Apple care+ yes!:apple: don't like the added bulk.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Depends on how often you drop your phone... personally I would think if you are getting the iPhone 6 plus and because of the learning curve for those that have never used a larger phone I would say Yes or at the very least AppleCare+

eoblaed

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010

Nope. Don't need one. I've never used a case, and that includes my 5 and 5S. If you're careful with your device (always use a completely empty pocket to hold it in, never set it down on anything hard, don't let go of it over the ground, etc), you'll be fine.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Maybe the protruding camera was a clear decision to help sell all those Apple cases they're offering. From their site, "The camera stays protected just beneath the case, while a soft microfiber lining cushions the entire iPhone."

Thanks for protecting the camera ring that you made stick out :apple:

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Maybe the protruding camera was a clear decision to help sell all those Apple cases they're offering. From their site, "The camera stays protected just beneath the case, while a soft microfiber lining cushions the entire iPhone."

Thanks for protecting the camera ring that you made stick out :apple:
I'm pretty sure the ring will protect the lens.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
All I have to do is look at the edges and corners of my otterbox to know I need a case! For the 6 I'll try to get away with a thin one plus AppleCare. Maybe Apple's. My wife's looks great, especially when it's next to mine!

phillytim

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I always always always get a nice slim case; I don't want to be without my phone (or be out another $79 for AppleCare+ replacement) if I can help it.

It's amazing the crazy things people do that cause damage to their phones, and how often they damage their phones.

And actually I think those who depend on AppleCare+ for replacement are abusing it and driving up costs for the rest of us. Shame on you who do this.

Last edited:

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Just depends on the user. I tend to be butterfingered with mine so I use a cheapo TPU case and it's worked great. If you have more secure hands then certainly not.