Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
On the other hand, what if all you want to do with this monitor is read email? Then maybe the 20-year old monitor is good enough. I once had a boss who had this ancient TV at his house. It must have been top of the line when it was bought, but it was just so old, and the picture quality was really poor in comparison to modern TVs, but you could still watch the nightly news on it -- it still worked. I'm sure my boss was aware modern TVs had better picture quality, and he could certainly afford to buy a new TV, but he just wasn't interested.

I think we all know newer, more expensive monitors provide better viewing experience. But not all of us want or can afford that. And there are plenty of used/inexpensive monitors that provide a fine enough viewing experience, even if they aren't top-of-the-line.
I too have recommended inexpensive displays to folks here trying to build a system on a tight budget. But that does not mean that we should generically recommend low end displays just because they exist. The statement "used/inexpensive monitors that provide a fine enough viewing experience" is 100% subjective as to what fine enough is to a given individual and is not always sound advice.

Reactions: Gudi

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I too have recommended inexpensive displays to folks here trying to build a system on a tight budget. But that does not mean that we should generically recommend low end displays just because they exist. The statement "used/inexpensive monitors that provide a fine enough viewing experience" is 100% subjective as to what fine enough is to a given individual and is not always sound advice.
As far as I recall, the recommendation to consider an inexpensive monitor came after some people had mentioned Apple Studio Display. To me, it felt like a well-placed reminder that we don't always need to go for the best of the best. Of course, each user has to make their own determination for themselves what is "fine enough" for their particular use case. But as long as that is understood, "you don't always have to spend top dollar to get a good experience" sounds like good advice to me.

• Sad
Reactions: Gudi

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
Personally wait for the Apple event next week, maybe new iMacs are announced which will lower the price on the current models. iMacs are great overall and if you can find one on sale with whatever specs you want, more storage or ram get it. I think the base model 24 iMac was on sale for 999 not to long ago on amazon, but thats the base mode 8/256.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I don’t really NEED a desktop. I bought the M1 iMac a couple years ago, and wound up letting my daughter have it. I have a 12.9 iPP that does pretty much anything I need.

But I MISS having a big screen, and using a mouse (I know I can use one with my iPad, but I’ve asked about it and it’s not the same).

Also, I have a terrible urge to buy something. I know that sounds terrible, but it’s the truth. Tech, and specifically Apple tech, is pretty much my only real splurge.

So, yall tell me what I want because I know you won’t hold back. Lol
Sounds like you prefer portable Apple devices, but also like a big screen.
SOLUTION: Get a MacBook Air and a Studio Display. This way you'll have your big screen, but you won't be strapped to a "desktop" computer.

Reactions: mvdrl

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
As far as I recall, the recommendation to consider an inexpensive monitor came after some people had mentioned Apple Studio Display. To me, it felt like a well-placed reminder that we don't always need to go for the best of the best. Of course, each user has to make their own determination for themselves what is "fine enough" for their particular use case. But as long as that is understood, "you don't always have to spend top dollar to get a good experience" sounds like good advice to me.
Studio Displays can be purchased refurbished from Apple, or open-box from other vendors. If the OP "misses" the iMac display with its retina-quality screen, cheaper inferior (non-retina) products will not be a worthy substitute.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Sounds like you prefer portable Apple devices, but also like a big screen.
SOLUTION: Get a MacBook Air and a Studio Display. This way you'll have your big screen, but you won't be strapped to a "desktop" computer.
MacBook Air isn’t as portable as iPad Pro.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Buying the Mini and a good quality non-Apple display will end up being far less expensive than an iMac.
In fact it’s the opposite. The iMac is slightly cheaper with a way better display, camera, speakers and mics. A good third-party display costs as much as the entire iMac in the second-hand market. 🖥️

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I recently bought the M2 Mac mini to replace my aging iMac, and I love it. The iMac is one of the things that first attracted me to moving from Windows to Macs, but over the years, the drawback of all-in-one model has hit me hard. One time, the internals failed leaving me with a display that still worked, but getting it to work as an external display for another computer was a hassle. Another time, the display failed even though the internals are still working perfectly. Using that machine with an external monitor means having two monitors on a desk.

Having a Mac mini with monitor does involve a few more cables than the iMac, but I'm enjoying the peace of mind that if a display fails I can just replace the display, and hopefully the Mac mini will not fail anytime soon. Also, the desktop computer is my least used device. I use it for file management/backups, and the one or two apps I use that don't have an iPad version. So the price is right. The Mac mini is the lowest priced Mac Apple sells, and to me it makes the most sense. And so far, it's working very well for what I use it for.
Long story short, if you next to never use your Mac get the Mini or another lump of aluminum without display, keyboard and mouse.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
From time to time at home I use an external Apple BT keyboard with my iPad, but it is not physically connected to the iPad, it is totally separate, which offers a whole lot more flexibility in positioning both the iPad and the keyboard. I much prefer this when using my iPad in a situation where I know I'll probably want and need to type, such as sitting out on my deck or relaxing somewhere in the house.

When I travel I don't usually bother with taking along the external keyboard for the iPad since I also will have my MacBook Pro or 12" MacBook with me anyway. Even on trips most of the time I prefer to have MacOS available to me, while using the iPad as a more portable device in some situations (such as when relaxing in the hotel room bed catching up with online forums prior to shutting off the light and settling down for the night.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Sounds like she knows she doesn't need it and is trying to be talked out of a really expensive purchase.
It's the opposite. She just wants to reason a little bit about a purchase she's determined to make. 🖥️ 💰
But spending money for money's sake on things you don't need is financially foolish. It's not terrible to want a nice iMac; but it's foolish to spend where it's not needed.
Nobody needs an Apple product, they are all affordable luxury for people who want to enjoy the user experience. You may need a new car, but you never need a BMW. You want a BMW. And whether it is a wise decision to purchase one is calculated on a price per joy per day basis. Divide the price by how many days you expect to use the product. If it comes dow to about a dollar per day of lifetime usage and you know you'll smile every time you use it, you should spend that dollar a day on your own happiness. 😇

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
You may need a new car, but you never need a BMW.
Presently I wouldn’t buy a BMW or a Mercedes-Benz. I used to like those cars, but that was decades ago. I don’t l like the way the current ones look and they really don’t make these like they used to.

Mind you I don’t care for what they’ve done to the forthcoming 2024 Mustang either.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
True, if you’re carrying iPad Pro by itself or in a Smart Folio case. But if you add a Magic Keyboard, the 12.9” is slightly heavier than a MacBook Air (and thicker, too).
It’s not about heavier or thicker. I use a Magic Keyboard. I can turn it around in lap and use in different orientation, rotate the screen laying in bed or couch. Air is just a laptop with no mobility.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Nobody needs an Apple product...
Divide the price by how many days you expect to use the product.
People need computers and phones. In my experience, Apple computers objectively last longer (meaning both physical hardware quality and ability to use software without substantial slowdowns) than Windows computers, so since I need a computer, I get a Mac because I need a machine that's more reliable and stable and they'll last me a long time.

So I do need a Mac for my workflow.

But I've also not bought a new Apple device since 2011. You don't need to buy used to buy quality.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
It’s not about heavier or thicker. I use a Magic Keyboard. I can turn it around in lap and use in different orientation, rotate the screen laying in bed or couch. Air is just a laptop with no mobility.
You originally brought up “portability”, which I was addressing. Now you’re talking about flexibility, which is a different thing than “mobility.” Both the iPad Pro and MacBook Air are mobile insofar as they are relatively lightweight.

I agree you can do more with an iPad Pro in terms of its physicality, as you described. Taking that point further, last month I went back to using the Smart Keyboard Folio which has even more flexibility than the Magic Keyboard — I can fold it over the back and use my iPad Pro in tablet mode (and in portrait orientation) without having to leave the keyboard behind. It’s also around half the weight of the MKB, which adds to it’s portability.

Yes, this means giving up the trackpad, backlit keyboard and dedicated charging port, but I don’t see my iPad as a laptop replacement, rather as a laptop alternative for when I don’t want to carry around my big 16 inch MacBook Pro.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
People need computers and phones. In my experience, Apple computers objectively last longer (meaning both physical hardware quality and ability to use software without substantial slowdowns) than Windows computers, so since I need a computer, I get a Mac because I need a machine that's more reliable and stable and they'll last me a long time. So I do need a Mac for my workflow.
Well, of course there are tangible benefits to the luxury products, otherwise they wouldn't sell at all for twice and trice the price of their budget counterparts. But it isn't entirely impossible to set up an efficient workflow on a Windows PC. You just happen to prefer the Mac-like way. All in all it might even be the best option available, but you don't need to spend that much on a computer. Just like a taxi doesn't need to be a Mercedes. And in fact most taxis outside Germany aren't. And most computers aren't Macs.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
All in all it might even be the best option available, but you don't need to spend that much on a computer
I don't spend that much - because I buy used. :) And to quote you, I've divided the price by the amount of days the computer will last me, and it's far longer than any same priced Windows computer has lasted me. So that makes the (used) Mac the smarter financial choice, and ultimately the cheaper cost when you divide the cost by year.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
I am considering an upgrade in the fall because I regret not getting the max phone, but I don’t want to do it a few months out from a new release.

Right now, I’m holding out to see what WWDC brings. Maybe I’ll just order a new watch band. Lol
At this point, we’re a few hours away from WWDC and I’m cautiously optimistic about new iPadOS hardware being a part of the ‘numbers of hardware announcements’. An updated iPad with it’s LIDAR camera AND that goes along with the announcement of a new version of Xcode for iPad seems like it might be be nicely aligned with day’s events.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I don't spend that much - because I buy used. :) And to quote you, I've divided the price by the amount of days the computer will last me, and it's far longer than any same priced Windows computer has lasted me. So that makes the (used) Mac the smarter financial choice, and ultimately the cheaper cost when you divide the cost by year.
Hence affordable luxury! Look, people who buy a one-year old Mercedes and drive it till it's 10 are usually not viewed as smart shoppers. Some downsides of running old computers can't be avoided, even if they are well build. Just like some of the upsides of driving a luxury car stick with you the entire life time. It's a question of personal preferences and which aspects of the decision you pay attention too. If you're focused on a lot of memory and storage at a low initial purchase price, you wont find any Mac to be financially attractive.

Last edited:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
A 27” iMac Pro would be nice to see and would probably be sought after by many
A Mac Studio or Mac Mini is just not the same. There still are many people that have a use for a Desktop computer

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
A 27” iMac Pro would be nice to see and would probably be sought after by many
A Mac Studio or Mac Mini is just not the same. There still are many people that have a use for a Desktop computer
That’s nearly me. I’d snap up a new 27” iMac, not the Pro, as soon as it were available. Still using and loving my 2017 27” iMac and it would be nice to have something a tad snappier today. I’m not willing to give up the all-in-one form factor, nor the 27” size at this point. After a few more years though without a new 27” iMac, I may just have to relent and get the 24” one. I don’t see me ever going for separates.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Doesn’t look like WWDC gave me any real new options to consider. Pretty much in the same boat as far as decision-making as I was last week. Lol

But I do know this - it’s either have an iMac or stick with my iPad Pro as my main/only computing device. What I have realized from reading the thread is I just don’t want to piece stuff together. I like the iMac because it’s streamlined and simplistic. As much as I think I’d love that studio display, or any other large display, I just don’t think I want to use it with my iPad.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I browse local used iMacs and ran into the system below. I was stunned at first wondering why someone would sell it so cheaply. And then I looked up the specs. Geekbench 5 multicore score is under 5,000. The base M1 scores are over 7,000 and I think that Costco was selling those for $299 recently. There was a 2020 for sale for $450 in Boston a few weeks ago and it had some issues but I was thinking that even these 5k recent iMacs are crashing in price. I think that the online sites sell these for about $700-$900 but they provide shipping, inspection and a warranty.

I sold my 2014 iMac 27 for $400 last fall. I could replace it with this one.

Just an idea if you want to buy something to have on your desk. I think that it will get a few more years of updates.

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 9.33.04 AM.png

• Love
Reactions: foliovision

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
So I have a blue one in my cart. If I use my Apple card and education discount (I do have a small private home school in my home, so it’s a legit discount), I’ll get about $40 or so Apple cash, plus a $150 gift card.

I’m just trying to figure out if I can apply the gift card TO the purchase, or if there’s no way to do that (Not that I can’t find something else to buy - lol).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.