Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SrMasterSell

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
Tampa, FL, USA
I love my Blackbook

No finger prints here on mine.

Love this thing.

I think there may be people that must complain about something, so they look hard to find the negative.

This is my favorite laptop of all time.

Ron

wcalderini

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2004
Slightly off topic, but maybe you could all help with a bit of advice.
When I first unpackaged my MacBook (White), I carefully undid the "sticker"
that surrounded the protective sleeve that it shipped in.
(I am giving it as a gift but wanted to pre-install a bunch of stuff, but wanted it to look "unopened".)
When I was putting the MacBook back in the sticker "adhered" (Solidly I might add) to the battery casing.
It will not peel off easily, and I've tried a little "windex" and stuff to no avail.
My question.
I'm pretty sure some nail polish remover or other solvent (Bestine) would
allow me to remove it completely, but I am worried about damaging the finish.
Any advice or suggestions here?

WRC

lil'homunculus

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2007
vancouver, bc
Slightly off topic, but maybe you could all help with a bit of advice.
When I first unpackaged my MacBook (White), I carefully undid the "sticker"
that surrounded the protective sleeve that it shipped in.
(I am giving it as a gift but wanted to pre-install a bunch of stuff, but wanted it to look "unopened".)
When I was putting the MacBook back in the sticker "adhered" (Solidly I might add) to the battery casing.
It will not peel off easily, and I've tried a little "windex" and stuff to no avail.
My question.
I'm pretty sure some nail polish remover or other solvent (Bestine) would
allow me to remove it completely, but I am worried about damaging the finish.
Any advice or suggestions here?

WRC

methyl hydrate or Lighter Fluid. Stay the heck away from Acetone!!! Also, detergent and water, with a little elbow grease... Godspeed.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My friend's blackbook looks all shiney.. I see where you are coming from, it definitely takes away from some of the beauty of the machine.

It happens on ALL LAPTOPS no matter it's a black MacBook, dell, etc.

MBP keys seems to not change with aging though. ;)

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
It happens on ALL LAPTOPS no matter it's a black MacBook, dell, etc.

MBP keys seems to not change with aging though. ;)

QFT.

This will also happen on the new Apple keyboards. Actually, it's already happening on my mom's keyboard which is only a month old. It happens, she types a lot and the keys have a texture to them. If you want to create a uniform finish, you'll need to go ahead and sand down the keys or seal them with polyurethane from the start (difficult to do and really not worth it).

Me thinks some members never used or forgot about pre iMac-Apple Pro Keyboards/Pre-Lombard keyboards ;). They did the exact same thing, even going back to when I used an Apple Extended Keyboard II. The Pro Keyboards and the like start off slick so there's really nowhere for them to go. Your fingers are basically sanding down the MB keys like fine sandpaper would.

keyboard-tactile-extended.jpg

Always a lovely keyboard :). I have one still. I should probably get a USB-ADB adapter one of these days :D.

It's basically the Mac equivalent (in terms of fondness, not design) of the IBM Type M keyboard.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
BlackBook is overpriced, so that's reason enough for me not to recommend it to anyone. WhiteBook or MBP, depending on one's needs. BlackBook seems like a declaration of vanity to me ;)

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Getting the black is a luxury, agreed. I didn't want a white laptop though.

Sure the black shows smudges but the white ages terribly (cracking plastic) and goes yellow (and that can't be cleaned off).

WhiteBook or MBP, depending on one's needs.

...and the MBP isn't overpriced?

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006

Sure the black shows smudges but the white ages terribly (cracking plastic) and goes yellow (and that can't be cleaned off).

If the yellow won't come off, it's a case problem and can be returned under warranty. That, and Mr. Clean Magic Erasers will clean anything.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
The black macbooks are horrible at showing finger prints and the white macbooks show every little scratch.
This has been my experience.

BLACK POWER

We issues 180 white Macbooks, and, depending on the person and apparently due in part to "genes", the stains on some white MB's are incredibly disgusting, and cannot be removed with the cleaner Apple sells on their site for 19 bucks. My black one, while it may show fingerprints, looks immaculate after a year of use.

DON'T buy white, but rather get the black if you can afford it.

billmister

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
To the OP. Relax. If it bothers you THAT much it's simple. Get the iskin that protects your keys and they also sell something that goes over the touchpad and mouse thingy... Problem solved. I don't believe it's apple's fault. Some people have more sweaty hands, others take more care of it, others don't.

My fiance has a blackbook and she purchased the skin that goes over the keyboard and it looks like it belongs there. She's had her blackbook for over a year now, and it's still running great!

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It's a yellowing of the plastic it is not cleanable.

Who wants to have to return their laptop for silly stuff like this?

Not me.

Yellowing of the plastic? What are you doing, storing it in a ziplock bag filled with cigarette smoke? Rubbing mustard all over it? Using it while engaging in golden showers?:D

I've owned 2 iBooks over the past 5 years, and now I have a MacBook, and yellowing is something that has never happened to me. I've never even seen it on any of my friend's or family's MacBooks or iBooks. Or on any of the MacBooks in any store that are being used as a floor model.
If you take care of it, it should always look great. My iBooks still look relatively new, except for a little discolouration on the trackpads. They are as white as they were when I bought them.
By the way, I don't do anything special to keep my MacBook clean- I just make sure my hands don't have fingerpaint on them, I don't store my MacBook by the deli meats, or in the bathroom. I just wipe it clean every couple of days with the microfibre cloth that was in the box.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

White does NOT have cracking plastic unless you drop it or abuse it.
White does NOT turn yellow unless you live in a smoking / dirty environment / don't follow acceptable hygine practices.

I have seen 5 year old iBook that look close to mint condition, with original battery still running 3 hours. Can you do that with a wintel? I think not.

Macs are not perfect, but are much closer to perfection than other products.

razyorv

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
If you notice a lot of grease on your Blackbook, just take Mr. Clean's Magic Erasor and dampen it a bit and wipe it down. It takes all of the grease off. (not the gloss from usage though)

I just did it today and my blackbook looks almost brand new. (except for the glossed keys which happen on whitebooks as well.)

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
It's a yellowing of the plastic it is not cleanable.

Who wants to have to return their laptop for silly stuff like this?

Not me.

There isn't anything else Apple can do. They've acknowledged the issue, started building the MacBooks with plastic that doesn't stain, and will replace it free of charge.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
There isn't anything else Apple can do. They've acknowledged the issue, started building the MacBooks with plastic that doesn't stain, and will replace it free of charge.

I know. Even the replaced bits go yellow though. All I'm doing is pointing out how each machine has it's little cosmetic foibles. Both black and white.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Clean it?

I just upgraded to a MBP from a 14" G4 iBook that's 2½ years old. I have NEVER cleaned it. It's going to my daughter and still looks new, and the battery is still at 98%. It's a computer: just use it and stop worrying.

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
I know. Even the replaced bits go yellow though. All I'm doing is pointing out how each machine has it's little cosmetic foibles. Both black and white.

Fair enough. For the record, my MacBook doesn't yellow at all. It seems to get a slight dark stain where I rest my hand for extended periods of time. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser cleans it perfectly.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Bully for you. I have two colleagues that are having trouble with this. They look after their machines too.

Thanks for taking my original comment out of context. That's not what i said, that's only a partial sentence of what I said. The full sentence was: "I've owned 2 iBooks over the past 5 years, and now I have a MacBook, and yellowing is something that has never happened to me." And the paragraphs continues to include other experiences.
Not just:
"I have a MacBook, and yellowing is something that has never happened to me."
Cherry pick much? Do you work for the Bush administration?

I guess I can play that game too....

Don't call me a bully!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.