Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
yeah but the white ones stain. so whatcha gonna do.

True; either have a white laptop with lots of stains or a black one with has finger marks.

For me, I don't care if there are fingermarks, I do care when if I found my white laptop turns grey in a matter of months.

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
I love my Black Book, but I gotta admit, the shininess that the keys and track pad acquire after a few months use is annoying. I wish Apple would do better.

What

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2006
buy a skin

if you are going to buy a 1499 dollar computer, you need to protect your investment.

go to amazon and type macbook skin. you will get some really nice ones (including a black one that looks like it is a part of the blackbook).

it feels nicer to type with, there are no stains (you can wash off the skin if it gets dirty too) and looks pristine.

SKIN
KEYBOARD SKIN

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
i have had a similar problem, this happened to my ps2 controllers and my hp laptop keys. what happens is if u use it too much it will become greasy because of your skin oils, this is normal, like how they say if u touch a butterfly's wings it cant fly again cuz of ur skin oils, well yeah thats basically it. it just wears away at ur keys and ur skin oils get on it. this is normal it will happen to every computer eventually. My suggestion if u dont like it, take off ur keys and put new ones on. Good luck....I think

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
i have had a similar problem, this happened to my ps2 controllers and my hp laptop keys. what happens is if u use it too much it will become greasy because of your skin oils, this is normal, like how they say if u touch a butterfly's wings it cant fly again cuz of ur skin oils, well yeah thats basically it. it just wears away at ur keys and ur skin oils get on it. this is normal it will happen to every computer eventually. My suggestion if u dont like it, take off ur keys and put new ones on. Good luck....I think

did u realize that this thread is almost 2 years old. i am sure these people have either figured out how to fix their issue or live with it.

look at the date before u post....

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
I've had a BlackBook since May 19, 2006. Never a problem, always washed my hands before use, and always washed the exterior of the laptop with just an undershirt and some water.

I got mine in 2006 too, no damage to anything, no worn keyboard / trackpad. I washed my hands also before use. Then i bought a iskin, and used a external mouse when i was at my desk.

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
If you want your computer to look like it did when you first got it, then don't use it.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I got mine in 2006 too, no damage to anything, no worn keyboard / trackpad. I washed my hands also before use. Then i bought a iskin, and used a external mouse when i was at my desk.
Yeah, I thought about doing all those things... but then I just decided to use it because it's just a computer and not some life-ecompassing sacred cow worthy of cult worship. :eek:

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Back when I had a black MacBook I just used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to keep it clean (and un-shiny).

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
We do what we can to keep the BlackBook clean. ;)

Mine's coming up to two years old now, and it has its own fair share of battle scars. Latest one being the "A" and "D" keycaps wearing down. The printed letters are chipping at the edges.

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
I guess you can't buy any apple laptop they all except (white) have the black keys. :eek:
I really don't even notice on my blackbook.

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
While the black keys may not look so good when they wear down, the prime concern is functionality... As others have said, if you don't want it to wear down, don't use it. It's a laptop above a piece of art.

JTA60288

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2009
Henderson, Nevada
I was thinking about buying a blackbook second-hand because of how it has better specs than the white one. When I get one, I'll probably just use a keyboard skin to reduce the shine.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
the worn keys give the computer character if you ask me. This is a normal part of using things, they bend over time with use...

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I use a white one at school and it isn't dirty, my teacher uses a black one and it isn't dirty.

As long as you clean them...

I'm going to get a 15" MBP, can't go wrong there :D

falcor87

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
Lol this is old but I have been wishing I had a blackbook today so I was googling it...

black has always been my electronics colour of choice (matte if possible... why does almost every pc laptop manufacturer out there think people want some high gloss shine and random graphics on the lid?) but before I was going to purchase my macbook back in 2006 some friends got in my head about the fingerprints on the blackbook... So I went white.

I'll regret that day until apple releases another black laptop. First, I just think it is one sexy machine. Second, you cannot know how overplayed the white macbook is until you step into a college lecture hall (well less so now that the mbp is taking over) and lastly, no matter how hard you try white things just dont stay clean!! After almost 5 years I would love to only have a few smudges I could wipe off on this computer.

Primetime89

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
My spacebar and trackpad on my black macbook are super shiny now. I'm convinced there's no way to clean it and I don't think anyone would want to buy it at all if I was to want to sell it because it's kind of gross.

kushed

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
washing your hands every time before you use a computer? that seems a little queer to me! but i guess if you care that much about it.. why dont you go with a skin or putting clear tape over the keys? just cut it to size yeah itd take awhile to do but then they would always be shiny but never greasy..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.