Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
its very buggy, there is even an update out for iphoto 08 already, it halfway fixes the upload problems but theres still issues

imovie dosent have an export to dvd, they even removed the send to iDVD feature

which dosent matter becuase

iDVD DOSENT OPEN, not on my macbookpro, not on the mac pro at work, not on my friends core duo imac...someone else posted on my other thread that theirs is doing the same thing, so please heed my warning DO NOT BUY iLIFE 08!!!

t1937r0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
iDVD DOSENT OPEN, not on my macbookpro, not on the mac pro at work, not on my friends core duo imac...someone else posted on my other thread that theirs is doing the same thing

iDVD runs on my powerbook (1.67Ghz G4) long enough to paint its menus and pop up the new project box, and then it promptly exits. No error message, nothing in the system log file, nothing anywhere. I figured it was because my powerbook does not have an internal DVD drive (I replaced it with a second 160gig hard drive.) I assume that at least one of the machines you listed contains an internal, Apple supported, DVD burner?

billyripkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Chicago
I just bought the new imac and the program opens just fine. I played with some of the menus but I have not tried to burn a dvd yet. When I get around to doing that I will post a reply.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
they all do, and what you describe is what is happening to use, we just dont get quite as far as seeing the menus, i can at least pick weither i want to start a new project, open an old project or whatever, i get to the next menu where i pick a name or select a file, then it exits with no error message

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
I just bought the new imac and the program opens just fine. I played with some of the menus but I have not tried to burn a dvd yet. When I get around to doing that I will post a reply.

your ilife is part of the preloaded operating system, so that makes a diffrence, all of us poor people who have older macs had to install the retail copy, which there is obviously a problem with

shortelvis

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
Check your permissions...

Mine copy works fine, haven't had any issues, I love it so far! Maybe check your permissions in Disk Utility, and makes sure your journaling is correct.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
the only thing similar between our three systems is we have final cut studio 2 installed on them all...i dont know if maybe this is causing the problem or not, if anyone else is having problems with idvd let me know if you are using final cut pro or studio

Mine copy works fine, haven't had any issues, I love it so far! Maybe check your permissions in Disk Utility, and makes sure your journaling is correct.

permissions are fine, checked that already, between our three systems and the two people who have also posted on here saying they have the same issues, its obviously a software conflict issue with something

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
had only one issue with iMovie crashing but solved it y removing third-party plugins for the old iphoto. now, i am a happy camper :)

oh yeah, you can buy it and it does work, with bugs of course. i haven't heard of perfect computing yet :)

ScottDrummer

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Canada
why are you scaremongering that its buggy. Some people may have no issues whatsoever, none the less its good that there are updates already it means that obvious major bugs will have been addressed and resolved, whether you buy it now or in a months time, it wil get updated via software update

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
its very buggy, there is even an update out for iphoto 08 already, it halfway fixes the upload problems but theres still issues

imovie dosent have an export to dvd, they even removed the send to iDVD feature

which dosent matter becuase

iDVD DOSENT OPEN, not on my macbookpro, not on the mac pro at work, not on my friends core duo imac...someone else posted on my other thread that theirs is doing the same thing, so please heed my warning DO NOT BUY iLIFE 08!!!

its YOU not the software, I have iLive 08 running on 3 macs with ZERO problems.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Sorry. Mine Arrives Tomorrow Along With The GarageBand Remixes Jam Pack

I'll let you know how it goes on a Quad G5 with FCS2 and the Adobe CS3 MC installed as well. Have HDV, will check iMovie '08 and GarageBand '08. Don't really care about iDVD as I use Toast 8 all the time. :rolleyes:

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Anyone suffering with this should do the basic troubleshooting steps first. Remove old iLife component plist files from ~/Library/Preferences and repair all permissions. In most cases it will cure the software crashes.

I'll be buying it once I get back from my holiday, on which I'm taking my camcorder and digital camera. So I'll have plenty of footage to try it out on :)

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Installed on 4 machines at home (17" iMac G5, 24in iMac (1st Gen), 15in MBP Core Duo, 13.3 in MacBook Core 2) and have no problems what so ever. I have run most of the programs intensly already on the 24in. My iPhoto has about 11G's in photos (half 7.1 MP and up and half 10.1 MP and up) I movie I imported many old projects. No bugs. Yes the export to iDVD is gone but it can still be done easily. This is not a big though. This is marketing. They want to push people to use .Mac and YouTube. Thats fine. They are a business after all. Either that or we just haven't found where they moved that button to yet.

Kevin:apple:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Bought it the afternoon that it was announced and haven't had any problems with it on my C2D MBP.

foxy11

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
I'm having exactly the same problem as you Squeeks.

Running a MBP Core Duo with 10.4.10.

I've tried checking perms, deleting prefs etc, nothing works.

I also have Final Cut Pro installed and was wondering if this was causing probs, then I came across you're post.

What'll happen is... the first run i'll get the splash screen, any of the options from then on cause the app to quit with no error.

The second time I start the app, it'll just flash the splash screen and instantly close with no error.

Removing the plist reverts it back to the issue described on first run.

All the other apps seem to work fine.

EDIT: my boss is running a newer MBP with identical os, with Final Cut Express (compared to me running pro) and his runs flawlessly.

foxy11

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
That sure looks like the same steps I wrote in my original post... ;)

It is, just first time around I didn't delete the folders properly, purely renamed them so it still copied them all across.
I figured it was worth repeating what I did for anyone reading tha did the same as me :)

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.