Do people camp out for the iPad on release?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SPNarwhal, Feb 21, 2012.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Or does with work with pre-orders or what?
    When iPad 3 comes out, are there going to be people camped outside of Best Buys and Targets and Walmarts and such?

Not exactly sure how this boat floats here.

2. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I'd like to know this too!
    I went to the iPad 1 launch around 7:30 AM, and I don't remember seeing any tents, but I may be wrong! :)

3. number84 macrumors 6502

no one knows yet...iPad 2 did not have pre-order so yes, people camped out.

4. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I thought about it, but it's like this- why does it have to be a habit?

Don't you just like it to be random and frivolous like when the first iPhone came out? No one was expecting that.

But now, people have overdone it.

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Do people camp out for the iPad on release?

Only the idiots.

6. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I've always wanted an iPad from day one but could never afford one. People I know who didn't see the point of it have eventually got one which infuriates me.

I have some vouchers this time round and will up early to secure my first iPad.

I would camp if needed but my wife would never let me live it down :D

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Original iPad had a pre-order system, so I was able to get one on launch day without "camping out."

The iPad 2 had no pre-orders, so I sat in line beginning at 11:30 am for their release at 5 pm. I was able (but barely) to get the one I wanted).

For the iPad 3, I hope they go back to option 1...!

8. Doombringer macrumors regular

Pre-orders, please. I am not independently wealthy, nor am I self-employed, so I cannot afford to camp out in front of a store for one of these.

9. falcora macrumors 6502

Camping out is fun. You meet interesting people, and 'geek' out about apple products. Basically like these forums, but in real life. :eek: Scary i know...

Anyways, bring something to do. Bring a book you've been meaning to read, log some hours for work, or just bring a tent and get some sleep (that's what you would be doing at home anyways). Although, if Apple does a 5PM launch again and people have to work on friday, that might change things a little bit....

10. maclook macrumors 65816

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Our office is right across from Grand Central Station, and we have a few people interested in getting the iPad 3, so we are thinking of "camping out" just for the heck of it. We can take turns standing in line while the rest of the group hang out in the office. :D

12. maclook macrumors 65816

I cant imagine the type of congestion that line is going to cause.

13. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

For iPad 2 launch I had the day off and went to Best Buy around 10:45am, no line at all, they said they wouldn't sell until 5 or 5:30pm that evening.

Came back around 2pm and was about #4 in line, had no issues whatsoever, they brought out chairs for us, and I got Best Buy RewardZone bucks for buying there instead of the Apple Store. :D

This year I'll be doing the same thing (provided iPad 3 goes retina - 90% of my iPad usage is reading, looking forward to a retina display for that.)

14. VinceDae macrumors regular

:d

Camping out for a new product is not only about the minuts it takes to buy it, its the people that also wait :D - I have a blast everytime I go for a "sleep over" product launch :)

15. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I don't understand the point of standing in line all day when you may not even be able to get the iPad you want. Lol with my luck I'd get stuck w the most annoying person.

I don't enjoy waiting in line for hours. :eek:

16. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Can't wait! :D

17. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Have never camped out, or even stood in lines for any product...will likely order online, no fuss no stress.

18. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Guess you have never seen a launch before.

Apple does a pretty good job, at least if you are not in China! Most the people are nice but there are always a few butt holes.

I order and let them deliver as I do not stand in line for anything:p

19. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I agree, but I don't think Apple will allow people to place pre-orders again like with the iPad 1. I think that Apple allowed pre-orders for the iPad 1 so they could estimate how much demand there was and how much production they needed.

These queues are good publicity. Apple does not advertise in anyway where I live, but yet there are iPhone commercials on television from two big carriers, there isn't a week when there is no news article about the iPad or iPhone, big electronic stores advertise with the fact that they sell Macs and iOS-devices and when a product launches, there's always a TV program that is going to talk about this "next great/big thing".

Heck, last year there was even a countdown on a big radio station "3... 2... 1... the iPad 2 is now on sale!"

Again, these queues are good publicity.

20. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Yes, usually depressed people who think a toy can make their life better.

21. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I will be showing up extra early. Probably not overnight, but maybe 4am.

It's fun. It's part of the spectacle. What else am I doing from 4am on? Sleeping? Showing up early to work?

Can't wait.

22. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Yes. If you didn't pay attention to the news then try Googling.

MacRumors users aren't all identical clones. Some will line up. Some won't. Some aren't even considering the iPad 3. Why does it matter? Do what works for you.

It doesn't.

Really says more about you than the alleged "idiots". It's amazing that some people feel the need to insult those that they don't have common preferences with. :rolleyes:

23. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

Or those of us who have lives/jobs! I plan on buying one, but I don't need to have it the very day it comes out. I can wait till the hype dies down.

24. Vorpal279 macrumors member

If you're waiting in line by yourself, how are you able to go to the bathroom and save your spot in line?

25. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

you go with someone or if your a loner, your pretty much forced to talk to the people around you. they hold your spot, especially if you grab them something from Da Bucks ;)