Do people on this site have something against Newbies?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by StormBlade, Jul 18, 2012.

1. StormBlade macrumors newbie

When I try to post information, my advice is generally ignored even if I give the right answer and someone copies me:confused:

2. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

Yeah now shut up and learn your place, stinkin newb!

----------

I am of course kidding around! Not sure if it has anything to do with being a newb, but theres a lot of information and users on this site so comments and threads often get lost in the crowd I would imagine.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've looked through your entire post history and I see no example of what you're talking about. Care to elaborate?

If it's any consolation, it happens to everyone from time to time, no matter how long they've been here.

4. StormBlade thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually know this place quite well, I have been lurking for a very long time.

5. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

Theres a difference between knowing a place and knowing your place, but again, I was just jesting.

6. StormBlade thread starter macrumors newbie

I did realise.

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Neophytes are the kind of people only a mother could love. Perhaps you should encourage her to sign up for an account. ;)

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Example(s)?

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

10. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I've also noticed that those members who are frequent posters (the type who post several times in every single story) generally obtain more feedback than others. Also, having an easily recognizable avatar makes you a familiar member in the forums and more prone to receive replies/acknowledgement.

But if you dare say something that is perceived as negative or trollish, rest assured your newbie status will be quickly thrown in your face. :rolleyes:

11. StormBlade thread starter macrumors newbie

While in my lurking days I did realise people getting literally ripped apart because they said something against apple and they had the "newbie title" but as for the rest of the things you have said, they are true.

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

There have always been a minority of people who will flame you, even if your postings are perfectly valid...You have to develop a pretty thick skin. Over time, as you are more familiar with the way things here work, and your post's become more frequent, you will get feedback of a positive nature.

The negative stuff will always be there though...You just have to ignore it. If you receive any abusive PM's or consider a post to be of an inflammatory nature, then use the exclamation mark symbol to bring it to the attention of the Mods...They will deal with any content deemed inappropriate.

13. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Every forum has a different ecosystem and a different way of treating people.

What I noticed when I first came here was that this forum is more serious and information based (also a LOT of wars between android and iOS, but that's a different story) whereas XDA, for example, is more joking and not serious (and more trolls over there).

Talkbass, another forum im on, is extremely information based. Like a super-macrumors-forum-of-seriousness-that-has-nothing-to-do-with-macs-or-computers. Understand? Neither do I.

You just have to post, not complain, don't start wars, and get a feel for what belongs and what doesn't. Doesn't matter how long you're lurking. When you post its a different ball game.

14. Daysight macrumors regular

Go ahead, post useful stuff and don't expect acknowledgement. Lots of people looking for answers will be silently grateful.

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Doesn't matter if you are a newbie. I get this and I've got more posts than most on here. Some people read the first post then just skip everything else and post their answer. Don't stress about it!

16. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

OP: There you go, I have 6K+ postings, and I still get it in the neck too...`don't let a few mindless individuals put you off contributing to the site...Most of us value opinions here.:)

17. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Wow, Macman45! You just joined in 2011 and have over 6000 posts? That's crazy!

@OP: Usually when my postings get ignored, it's because I misread the original post and answered the wrong thing.

18. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

In a front page thread you should more/less just be ready for someone to ignore what you said and post the exact same thing. Those threads are usually very long and few read every post, so that comes with the territory.

19. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I probably talk too much...I try to help people out here, and due to my health, I do have a fair bit of time on my hands....MR is my second home..:D

20. mwhities macrumors 6502a

I think a lot of it is "newbies" that do not read the stickies and use the search function before they create a new post about something that has been discussed several or more times before.

21. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Just be explicit with what you are looking for. It is not a place for "socializing" even it seems like that.

I may post once a month or so, I am not know around here. But I try to be assertive when looking for information, that wold do.

22. Urban Spaceman macrumors member

I've found these forums to be amongst the most newb-friendly I've visited. Even people with rather inane questions are treated kindly. Persistent stupidity is met with ridicule (and sometimes abuse), but that's a symptom of the WWW.

23. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

It can sometimes feel like that. Once I made a jokey comment in a thread and was effectively told "Your sense of humour isn't like mine, I've been here longer than you, therefore mine is right, yours is wrong.

24. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Sure, sure sure...

Listen, we all know a post count whore when we see one.:p ;) :D

For you newbies...this man knows his stuff in a major way. His advice is always useful...even if he is a count whore!:eek:

(For a second, there, you thought I was going to be nice...):rolleyes:

;) :D

25. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

My first posts were just sarcastic taunts and I seemed to be welcomed with open arms. :cool: