Do they make a 500GB -7200 RPM drive ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fab5freddy, Apr 11, 2009.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Do they make a 500GB MBP drive with 7200 RPM ?

If they do, would love to upgrade !

thanks

2. beardboy macrumors regular

beardboy

Indeed they do :)

I've got a Seagate one on order as we speak, with an ETA of early next week.:D

3. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Yup. Seagate is the only manufacturer of a such model. The Seagate Momentus 7200.4.

4. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

yeap thinking of placing my order with macsales

5. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Are there any risks involved ?

There was a Seagate Scare a few weeks ago
    about Seagate failing drives....

6. beardboy macrumors regular

beardboy

Seagate do an AS version and an ASG version. Make sure you get the AS version as the G is the built in G-Force protection, which will conflict with the MBP's built in system.

7. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Yes, it is for my MacBook Pro.

What's G-Force Protection ?

8. beardboy macrumors regular

beardboy

It cuts off the HDD if it's dropped, to help protect the data.

9. NickM macrumors 6502

Something that senses sudden movements... like if you were to drop the computer, the drive would temporarily hault so it doesn't do any damage. (something like that)

10. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Well, that sounds like it's something i need.....

Will that work with my Unibody MacBook Pro 15" ?

11. beardboy macrumors regular

beardboy

You won't need it, as the MBP has it built in anyway. If you get the ASG version that has it built in, it'll conflict and cause HDD failure.

12. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

13. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

Is this the drive y'all are talking about? I read something in the description about shock protection, but is this the one that WON'T cause problems? It says it's just the AS model, but I couldn't even find an ASG model, so I wanted to confirm.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST9500420AS/

Also, if I get this and install it myself, what's the status of that voiding my AppleCare?

Thanks in advance.

14. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

when i spoke to macsales they said the version they sell is the correct one that will work

15. beardboy macrumors regular

beardboy

Yeah, that's the right drive, as it is the AS version.

If you order it and it arrives, make sure it says AS not ASG on the drive before opening it though ;)

It won't void AppleCare as far as i'm aware, as HDD and RAM are user changeable parts.

16. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

a little OT but is it best to just bring the ram and hdd to apple and have them do it ? i know i could do it myself but i worried about the screw problem that people have stated in the mbp forum

17. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

Another question ...

If I go through with this, how much of a pain in the butt will it be? I have my Time Machine and all, so would it just be a matter of installing the new drive, popping in my Leopard disc and then directing it to my Time Machine? Or is there more to it than that?

Sorry, but I am a PC to Mac convert and this Unibody is my first Mac. I started working with them (and realized their superiority) in the school system almost 2 years ago, but this just isn't something I ever had to deal with on them. This thing is my baby and I'm overly cautious.

18. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I just used SuperDuper to clone my existing drive to the new drive (which I had temporarily placed in an external FW800 housing (USB will work too).

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Cheers,

19. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

Thanks, panzer. :)

Will SuperDuper do the same thing as using the Leopard disc that came with my MBP and restoring from Time Machine - only easier? If it works differently, I'm curious as to HOW it's different, if you can explain. (I went ahead and downloaded it in anticipation. :))

I don't suppose SuperDuper (or anything else) will work with moving my Windows partition, will it? I need to make that a little bigger anyway and this will be the perfect time to do it since you can't actually expand FAT32 through any tools currently available.

20. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

SuperDuper/Carbon Copy Cloner will work and will make a bootable system drive thats a copy. Any problems with the OS will be copied over to the new drive.

Install + Restore Files works, but if you have upgraded iLife or have moderatly complex applications they may need to reinstall. You will need to do some other smaller tasks like resetting TM, BT pairing, and a few other tasks.

21. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I always just use Disk Utility's Restore feature to clone. Just boot off your Leopard install disk and run it from there. Use "erase destination" to do a block copy.

As for the Windows (Boot Camp) partition, you will have to create that after you've cloned OS-X. You can create a clone image of the Windows partition using Winclone.

Steps: Create the image using WinClone, clone your OS-X install using Disk Utility (or whatever), then boot to the new drive. Run Boot Camp Assistant to create a new Boot Camp partition. Now, run WinClone and restore the BC partition using the image file you made earlier [with WinClone]. Provided your original BC partition was formatted NTFS, it will also expand your original Windows install to fit in a larger BC partition.

edit: if your Windows partition isn't NTFS already, you can convert to it in Windows ("convert", I believe)

22. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

Cool. Thanks for all the help from everyone. I may take the plunge soon. :eek:

23. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Anyone know where I can buy one in Australia? :)

24. Mr D macrumors 6502

http://www.provantage.com/seagate-st9500420as~7SEGS1VH.htm

There's another site that sells them to save $27

I'm think of purchasing the 7200.4 and using the current HD in my MBP as an external HD. My only problem would be to "clone" or copy the files over...and I'd need to get housing.

Anyone have any experience with this?

25. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Most cheap USB2 cases (SATA) will work. I recently bought a Sabrent case, and it worked off bus power fine (some don't). It was around $10.

As for the "cloning" - see my above post. If you don't have Boot Camp, then all you need is the Disk Utility step. Boot off of the Leopard install DVD and run Disk Utility to initialize the drive (Mac Extended Journaled) and do the cloning, using Restore (check "erase destination" to enable block copy).