Do we think the 6S will be stronger?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Freida, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Freida macrumors 65816

Hello guys,

I know this has been talked about a lot but I still can't decide. I was so ready to buy iPhone 6 as I'm still on iPhone 4 and was super excited even though I would prefer smaller form like 5S but when the bending "issue" got out of hands I started to think that my £620 might go into a device that is more fragile and eventually I might not pay attention all the time and it can bend. I do not know how "real" the issue really is. Apple says on 9 phones out of 10 mil but that doesn't mean that at that time there weren't more. There is this website someone posted and they keep posting more and more pictures which is why I started to worry about this. I went to few Apple stores and I've seen quite a few phones bent - not that much but maybe something like 1mm which made me think that maybe I could try to survive another 10 months and just wait for the 6S.
    So, do you think that the 6S will get a bit stronger and the weak area might get reinforced a bit more?

I have iPhone 4 as mentioned before and never had the antenna gate problem but Apple did fix it in 4S. What are the chances for 6S to be stronger?

Here is another example which happens here at macrumors often - Lightbleed on either computers or ipads. Some people find it normal and some people don't. My point is that some people might not even notice that tiny bend but some people do so the phone has been out for just 2 months so how is the "issue" going to be after 2-3 years? As you can see I buy iPhone to last me a while. I don't upgrade every year so I want something that will really squeeze at least 3 years.

Thoughts, please?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I would bet money it, structurally, will be the same:apple:

3. blueflower macrumors 6502

I would bet money that it would structurally not be identical to the 6. OP I would wait for the 6s.

4. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Time will tell.
    But I would appreciate making the next gen. iPhone not as slippery as a soap bar.

5. mreg376, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014

mreg376 macrumors 6502a

The eventual 6s may or may not be sturdier than the 6, but you are definitely due to upgrade from the 4. Personally, I like to stay one step behind, with the tried-and-true, and my life doesn't revolve around the phone (nor does yours, obviously). And I need my phone for work too, so proven reliability is a must. So I just ordered a new 5s (which came out only last September), upgrading from a 4s. A little bigger than the 4s, more DURABLE than the 6 or even 6+, much faster processor than the 4s and LTE data speeds. I can wait two more years (or more) to use Apple Pay.

So that would be my recommendation for you.

6. cababah macrumors 68000

I believe apple will make a minor adjustment to add strength to the weak point in the chassis...much like the tweaked antenna band design on the 4S vs the 4.

7. cmichaelb, Nov 18, 2014

cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

This.

OP - if you want a 6+ wait for the 2015 version. I agree with the above that they will make some subtle changes to reinforce the weaker area.

8. gretafour macrumors regular

I'm running a trusty old 4S. Definitely wanted the 6+, but like OP wasn't sure about spending $800-$1000 for a delicate phone. I'm waiting for 6S and tear down for news on structure. If it's unchanged, I will have to take my iPhone fandom under serious consideration! :eek:

9. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

I will gladly take that bet....0% chance they don't address it. They won't make a big deal about it, but the teardown will show a difference.

10. crashoverride77, Nov 18, 2014

crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

There is no bendgate so stop saying stuff like its out of hand because 10-20 people complained. I can't believe there is another thread for this BS, unbelievable. Apparently the Phone 5 also bend, just google it.
    Just buy an iPhone 6 and enjoy the massive improvements over your 4 and don't sit on it like an idiot. Problem solved.

11. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I doubt outwardly anyone will notice if they change the structural integrity of the area around the volume rocker. I would venture a guess that when the 6S gets a tear down there will be evidence that the internal aluminum chassis around the edge of the phone has been strengthened.

12. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

It's just a phone... it costs $800 or so. My advice to people contemplating decisions like this.. save your cash. Spend the time you would have weighing the pros and cons of buying an iPhone 6 on making more money so that you can buy iPhone 6's without regard for the price and pay your old phones forward to someone who needs them.

If you really want an answer to the question will the iPhone 6 be stronger - I think the answer you will get from a community of users will be completely inaccurate as none of us has any way of knowing the truth.

13. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Calling someone an idiot for a legitimate durability concern on an expensive device? Just buy it why....because Apple? That is terrible advice. You are delusional if you are trying to say the 5 bends as easily as the 6+.

14. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Umm, your assumptions are short-sighted. The weakness in the new iPhone chassis has been documented. And if anything is likely, it is that there are far more bent iPhone 6's out there than people who spend time complaining about it in this forum. It is a problem, and the frequency and extent of it is unique to the 6 series thus far.

15. crashoverride77, Nov 18, 2014

I didnt call the OP an idiot. READ.
    The OP was think about buying an iPhone 6, so I told him he should go out and do it because bendgate is BS.
    I'm sorry but if you sit on a 600+ dollar device and expect it to be fine, than yes you are an idiot.
    If you stuff a massive 5.5 inch phone into your jeans pocket, barely, and than drive for 6 hours, than yes you are an idiot.
    If you believe some Twitter pictures from 10-20 people out of the million phones sold, while ignoring actual reviews and stress tests, than yes you are also an idiot.
    If you go into an apple store and film yourself bending an iPhone 6 on purpose, than you are not only and idiot but a super idiot. Same for the people doing it on YouTube.

----------

Please show me the documentation, that's not Twitter or people bending phones on purpose.
    While you at it I'll show you some documentation buy sources that stress test and review phones for a LIVING.

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...able-less-breakable-than-galaxy-s5-and-one-m8

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-6-durability-test,news-19594.html

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...durability-suggests-bendgate-may-be-overblown

16. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

I do apologize, I did interpret it as "sitting on" the decision to buy the phone, hence calling the OP an idiot.

But now you are essentially calling anyone with a bend an idiot. And if you read these forums or on reddit, that is just not fair. People who take very good care of their phones find it bending from a case, in a pocket, or even a defect straight out of the box. This is not their fault and should be at least a thought before dropping the money on this phone.

And not sure why I am even responding if you really think it is only happening to 10-20 people. Again, that is burying your head in the sand.

17. crashoverride77, Nov 18, 2014

Even if it's a 100 or 1000 (whichs it's not) it's still a tiny tiny percentage. Is it so hard to understand.
    It's like the PS3, it had a failure rate of a few %, which means jack ****. The Xbox 360 in the beginning had a failure rate of around 50%. Do you know how many bend iPhones have to be reported to even be anywhere near that range?

18. jcmeyer5 macrumors 6502

While I have had no issues with my phone being flexible (granted its a 6), but I would rather they increase the thickness to the width of the camera, which should offer them an opportunity to add some more strength, and use some of that space for more battery capacity (again, this is for the 6).

Or do nothing... I am happy either way.

19. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

OK, so now you are changing your tune. Got it. And linking blogs to prove your point is not going anywhere as I can list 1000+ blogs that talk about bending. This argument is tired. If you like it great, have fun. I am sure it will never bend for you. But don't give bad advice to someone that already has a concern.

----------

Forget the bend thing. OP I would suggest you wait because the 6S will actually have 2GB RAM and will be much more future proof. Just look at the new iPad Air. If you don't want to change your phone in a year, just wait. Most all those on this forum who bought the 6 or 6+ get a new phone annually. As you still have the 4, I assume this is not the case for you.

20. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Why am I changing my tune? Where am I posting blogs?. These are proper review sites that do this for a living. You are giving bad advice if you believe in bendgate, stop spreading BS. Unbelivable.

21. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

And with that I finally have 500 posts. I can't think of a better thread to have my avatar finally show that has been there since 2009. Damn my MS Paint skills were awesome back then.

Edit: Once you reach 500 posts you may not immediately be able to upload an avatar. The privilege is added automatically when the forum system does routine processing, so check again in a few hours

Boo, thanks for deflating my balloon MRs!!

22. GoingDark macrumors 6502

I think they will almost certainly reinforce the "weak point" at the volume buttons even if they never admit to the flaw, in exactly the same way they told everyone the antenna issues on the iPhone 4 were normal but still silently fixed them for the 4S.

23. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

There is no "future proof" in digital electronics.

24. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Dude is says BLOG in one of your links....all those sites are blogs. My point is there are just as many links showing bending as show the phone is strong because...Consumer Reports. I am not going to rehash the bending thing with you, that has been done time and time again. Go to one of the other threads and read all about it. Apple would be proud of you today, you protected the brand. Now take a break, because I won't respond again.

----------

"more" future proof than a phone with essentially the same guts as previous generations.

25. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

These links actually prove that you don't know what you're talking about, and you're just angry at people talking negatively about your investment. These reviews were done shortly after the 6's release, before the widespread problems were known.
    I agree that for someone who never puts an iPhone 6 or 6+ in a pants pocket, especially a back pocket, they will likely never see a bending problem. But for someone like my son in college, who's been sitting on an iPhone 4s for two years without incident, replacing the 4s with any current iteration of the iPhone 6/6+ would be, to coin a phrase, idiotic.