Do you believe there will be new iPhone hardware this summer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Californian, May 12, 2009.

?

Do you believe there will be new iPhone hardware this summer?

1. Yes.

84.7%
  2. No.

8.8%
  3. I couldn't care less.

6.5%
  1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

So we all know that there are very differing opinions as to whether there will be new iPhone hardware this summer. There will absolutely be a software update to 3.0, but any evidence of an actual hardware update is speculation and rumors at best. That said, do you believe there will be new iPhone hardware this summer?

Since I'm sure this will become a comment battle, let me give some direction with the comments. If you do believe there will be new hardware, give your reason(s) why and what you hope to see in the new hardware, keep in mind that this is speculation, so if someone says they want polaroid pictures to print out of their iPhone, that's their prerogative. If you do not believe there will be an iPhone, give your reason(s) why and what you hope to see revealed at WWDC instead of a new iPhone.

Thanks for all your input, and please remember the forum rules and don't insult anyone else opinion.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Obviously, regardless of what rumors say, the iPhone has to go through a yearly cycle. Otherwise, hardware-wise, it would lag behind others. On the software front it might make up for some mistakes, but still, thats not enough in this market.

3. drpellypo macrumors 6502

It makes perfect sense that they will release a new one, as every other mobile phone manufacturer does, every year, without fail. Original iPhone lacked 3g, even though just about every phone (in the UK anyway) had 3g. Seemed a stupid move, but low and behold, next model to come out had 3g. Therefore it makes sense that they will release a new one that has the things the 3g doesn't (better camera etc) in order to keep the technology refresh going.

I just wish people would stop referring to it as a 4g! They even said on Radio 1 news, that there would be a 4g (as in, 4th) model coming out, when it'll be the third, not fourth.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes, I believe there will be new iPhone hardware this summer.

5. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Yes,

though I'll try and be good and hold off trading my 3G in for another year whey I can get the summer of 2010 model.

(as long as the battery dosn't compleately die before then, then I'll have to trade up.... Well of course I will have to.)

6. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

probably not they might use a stronger plastic but that might be it as for specs here is a rumor i found im sure youve seen the threads with this link

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=3899

7. bks691 macrumors regular

No new iPhone this year, sorry.... this time last year we new it for sure, I don't care how tight lipped "Apple" is said to be, there would be a leak already. However we will get one heck of a phone for 2010 :D

8. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

The only ones who really know is Apple, we just have to wait and see ;)

9. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

We also know that there are references to multiple models in the 3.0 software code.

I think there will be a modest upgrade to the 3G: Improve the processor, RAM, and camera and you have an all around better experience. Since they don't have to completely redesign the innards, they either make more profit per unit because they're getting more from last year's R&D spending or they lower the price to avoid leaving a price umbrella as Tim Cook said.

Then there are those code references to another iPhone model. This one's the real upgrade. The modestly improved 3G will simply set a new entry price point for the iPhone.

10. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Do you even read macrumors? Or any other gadget blog?

11. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

The fact that there are people answering "NO" on these forums deeply disturbs me... I'm going to go pray to Steve Jobs now...

12. jeremykyle macrumors regular

That really just made my day. Wait, my year. I think I may pray to Steve Jobs as well.

13. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

It will simply be called the new iPhone 3G. No new name, no gimmicks. They will just upgrade the insides as a refresh to keep things up to date, that is all.

14. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

I think it will be called iPhone 2. The original iPhone will become known as iPhone Sr. and the 3G will be known as the "accident".

15. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

Sorry my friends,

Steve just called me, telling me that he was hanging out with some guys from palm. After a couple of beers and a decent poker match they finally showed him the Pre and Steve was literally pis... about this awesome cool device. He could not imagine how someone who does not belong to his slaves at apple could ever create such an amazing device.

However, a few beers later...when "nature was calling" he decided to get rid of this losertoy aka iphone he once was proud of and flush...there it went where it belongs.

The best ist still to come, guys.

With a whining voice he told me, that when he finally made his way home a prototype of the zunePhone was already waiting for him. A kind of present from his old buddy Bill who wanted his oppinion about this state-of-the-art device.

Steve said that after only round about 5 fatal crashes and shutdown errors he was experiencing the best he ever saw on a mobile device. Then he told me, that there were only two things left to do for him and asked me what i was thinking.

After i told him to take another beer and to calm down in front of his appleTV it took me about 20 minutes to convince him that suicide is not a solution.

So, he finally decided to cancel his crazy plans of an iphone and working on new versions etc. regarding to the competition. I told him that he failed but earth will keep on turning and stuff like that. After two or three more beers i just heard him snoring.

So, i guess he is just fine today.....but sorry NO MORE IPHONES EVER

16. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

You should definitely get together with some other fiction authors and sharpen your skills, I see a lot of potential getting a job as a writer with some well known fiction publications, such as The Los Angeles Times or the National Enquirer.

17. enklined macrumors 6502

See my post HERE for why I think there will definitely be a new iPhone out soon. It's not concrete evidence, but with the rumors and such, it's enough for me :p

18. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Why wouldn't there be a new iPhone this year. Apple seems to like to refresh it's portable devices every year. Why change for this one?

19. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I really hope there is a new iPhone this summer, if not, I'll get a 3g.

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

21. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

At the very minimum, Apple will 'refresh' the iPhone line every year.

Maybe not "blow us away" every year - but there will be 'new' hardware every year like clockwork.

I mean ... just look at this range of emotions: ;):D:eek::(:):confused::eek::mad::rolleyes::cool::p:apple:

22. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Thats borderline schizophrenia my friend.

Honestly, the iPhone 3g wasnt much of a step up from the previous generation. Maybe this year is the "blow away" year. :confused:

23. thetexan macrumors 6502a

http://www.businessinsider.com/henry-blodget-uh-oh-no-new-iphone-or-steve-jobs-at-apples-wwdc-2009-5

I don't think we will see any major iPhone refresh this summer. First of all, Apple is still producing and selling the 3G, this time last year Apple had already cut production of the 1st gen and the stores were not selling them. In fact right on the frontpage of this website we see Apple opened another avenue to buy the 3G straight from Apple's online store.

At most we will see perhaps another iPhone that goes along side the 3G. Perhaps a smaller "nano" type, or perhaps a Pro version with better hardware. However I believe after this summer the current 3G model will still be around.

24. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

So .... you don't think we'll see a major refresh, but you think Apple might introduce a whole new mobile product? :confused:

25. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Oh moderators, where are you?! We have profanity ^^^ in this thread, please close asap. Kthnxbai

:D