Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kousuke18

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
When I went from my iPhone 4 to my 5, it took a few days to adjust to the new phone's size. I really want the large screen and the battery life of the 6 Plus. So my question is to 6 Plus users who were in the same boat as me (apprehensive about the size) - Do you eventually just get used to it to the point where you don't even notice it anymore?

You'll probably get used to it but don't be one of those people who write off the 6+ after only using it for 5 mins or even just a few days. I use to laugh at the idea of a smartphone with a screen larger than 4" and now I own a 6+. :p

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I'll agree it does take a little while, but now it's fine with one exception--I can't do quite as much with 1 hand as I could with my 5S. But that's the only tradeoff. The Plus is a great device to use while traveling--my iPad nano.

I bet it took about 2 weeks for me. Maybe a long time, but I kept trying to hold it the same way I held the 5S.

AlomWare-com

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2015
I can not imagine just how much more battery life the 6+ has over the 6?
In my experience: it's a lot. I can go from 8am to 11pm with no problem. That's web browsing, gaming, downloading apps, and taking the odd photo. On my old 4S I'd only get from 8am to about 3pm before it was around 20% battery.

Mind you, I have background refresh turned off, no email pushing, no auto brightness, brightness 1/3, and so on.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yes you do. It looks so tiny when you start to use an older iPhone like an iPhone 4. Seems so thick too.
That said it does fill your pocket. But thats fine by me because I love the screen size now. Won't be going back to a smaller one anytime soon.

loveleelatina

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2014
Just how much better is the 6+ then the 6?

I can not imagine just how much more battery life the 6+ has over the 6? Does anyone know

had the plus would take it off the charger at 7am by 10pm I would have about 65% left...my 6 at 10pm has about 40% pretty significant difference...but the trade off is worth it for. The plus was just to big for me...I gave it 2 months and still couldnt get use to it. I still have it here and havent picked it up to use it at all.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Just how much better is the 6+ then the 6?

I can not imagine just how much more battery life the 6+ has over the 6? Does anyone know
I've been using both my iPhone 6 and 6 Plus since they were released. My 6 Plus returns precisely 37% longer batter life when used during my long resource intense work day.

The only reason I bought the iPhone 6 is to have a choice of a slightly smaller phone when attending concerts or other events where my smartphone doesn't see heavy usage. But that said I'm very happy and prefer my 6 Plus or Nexus 6 for day to day use, especially when traveling internationally which I do frequently.

I can do quite a lot one handed on either as I'm 6'4" with long slim fingers that easily reach 95% of the working display area.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Yeah you do. I have owned my 6 Plus since launch day and the only regret I have is waiting until an hour after preorders started to get mine ordered and I had to settle with Silver and White (I wanted Space Gray).

I jumped from the 5s to the 6 Plus and it did feel ginormous at first. In fact when I got the phone I thought it was way too big. If I use the right case (something slim, but non-slippery and semi-protective) like the Apple Leather Case, the phone fits perfectly in my hand and I can reach ~90% of the display with ease. The display is really nice for watching movies and I could not be happier with the size.

For a while I switched to a slightly bulkier case but switched back to the leather case so I could use my dock and found that I actually felt the phone was small believe it or not, and now I feel like it is the right size for content.

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
Yeah, it took a few days to stop going over how big the screen is. Now I'm just used to it, I don't notice it anymore until I come across other iPhone users with smaller devices.

When I first had it I was unsure, because I knew the 6 fit in my hands perfectly and it was so nice to hold, not to mention bigger screen size compared to iPhone 5 (I come from 5c). But I really wanted the longer battery life and bigger screen because I stay indoors a lot and watch videos on my phone or browse with my phone. After getting over how huge the phone seemed I use this phone like I would use my old iPhone 5c. Fairly happy with it so far.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I have both. I bought the 6 first and just got the plus about 3 weeks ago. Been using the plus exclusively since I got it. I love it but just brought my reg 6 with my out of town since I would have my iPad and MBA. So I definitely see the value of both. The 6 is really nice for portability but the plus has the nice screen and battery life. I have gotten used to the size of the plus but the 6 reminded me of how comfortable it is.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
So my question is to 6 Plus users who were in the same boat as me (apprehensive about the size) - Do you eventually just get used to it to the point where you don't even notice it anymore?

I switched from a 5s to a 6+. It took me less than 12 hours to get used to the difference in size. To be honest, I have a bit of a "WTF" moment every time my wife hands me her 5s. I'm not sure how I handled the tiny screen.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Yes and no.

Yes in that I don't immediately think "jeez this thing is huge" when I pick it up in the mornings anymore.

No in that I still haven't managed to find an angle to hold it with one hand that'll allow me to type comfortably.

Ergonomics were not a priority when Apple designed the Plus...

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Yes and no.

Yes in that I don't immediately think "jeez this thing is huge" when I pick it up in the mornings anymore.

No in that I still haven't managed to find an angle to hold it with one hand that'll allow me to type comfortably.

Ergonomics were not a priority when Apple designed the Plus...

In my opinion, they didn't really design it for one handed use.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
In my opinion, they didn't really design it for one handed use.

You're right.

That said, I can answer mine one-handed and send a quick text one-handed. I'm a woman with tiny hands, so there ya go.

I mostly use 2 hands. But, I used 2 hands with all my other iPhones, so this bothers me not.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Average size hands. Love phone for the obvious reasons. Got use to it in a coupe weeks. Came from 5" Galaxy S4. Portability would be biggest concern. But, I adapted. Phone is worth the change in how to transport. I found the Plus too slick to not have a case. Got the Apple silicon slide on one. Iwas use too carrying all my phones in a leather Spigen case. Can not do that now with the Apple case on it. So, I do, for the first time deal with a dusty screen. Am OCD on that stuff--;)

Overall best phone I have ever owned. It is my first iPhone. Will not go back to Android. Personal choice and nothing bad to say. But, like running a thorouhbred next to a Clydesdale--:)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Some people don't get used to it and have switched to the 6 or even back to the 5s.

Length of time may or may not matter. A few Note users who had the device for a full year downsized to smaller phones at their next upgrade.

Wackadoo

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2015
People get used to what they want to get used to. I had the 6+ sold it and bought the 6 couldn't be happier. Now I have a real iPhone not some quasi iPad mini nano phone.

10-Dee-Q

macrumors 6502a
after using 6 plus for about 3 months, i still find it a tad too big
the only major reason i keep using the 6 plus is because of the outstanding battery life, other than that i preffer to use my 5s.
i think it will be perfect if the size is 5" and with the battery capacity of the 6 plus instead.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
after using 6 plus for about 3 months, i still find it a tad too big
the only major reason i keep using the 6 plus is because of the outstanding battery life, other than that i preffer to use my 5s.
i think it will be perfect if the size is 5" and with the battery capacity of the 6 plus instead.

I always found the i5 too small even though I had an i4 before it. There's no way that I could go back to a screen that size having owned a 6+.
5" is the sweet spot for me and anything below that is too small. Especially the ridiculously small older iPhones.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
Try one in the Apple store. If it seems too big don't buy it. If it feels ok, then buy it. Simple.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Try one in the Apple store. If it seems too big don't buy it. If it feels ok, then buy it. Simple.

This works for some people, including myself, but other people need to actually use the device to see how it fits into their routine.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
My biggest problem would be carrying it. I don't think I will get used to having to remove it from my pocket before sitting down in a car or at a restaurant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.