Do you feel guilty putting on a cycle?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphonematt, May 15, 2009.

1. iphonematt Guest

Is it just me or does anybody else feel guilty putting on battery cycles? I always feel horrible when it goes to the next cycle, almost like degrading me as a human. 48 days ago I had to get a new battery and since then I have put on 0 cycles still (it came with 0 cycles and still says 0). I am avoiding battery at all cost just to not put on a cycle.
    Maybe I am just weird.... lol

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You're weird.

lol j/k. I have 47 cycles on my MacBook Air that I got about a month ago. I have no regrets at all.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

No problems with cycles here. :D

Attached Files:

4. sm0 macrumors regular

jesus christ op - its just a laptop not a woman

tip: leave the house

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Apple recommends that you run your battery through a full cycle at least once a month. Otherwise your battery will likely become stale.

But no, I don't really worry about it...while my MBP spends a fair part of its day plugged in on my desk, I don't think twice about taking off with it on battery power.

6. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Then why even have a laptop? Makes no sense to me. Batteries are replaceable and recyclable.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

8. magamo macrumors 6502

I don't even check the battery cycle. Well, just opened iStat and it says I have 2 cycles on my uMBP and 39 cycles on my white MB. Hmm. I guess I'm not guilty.

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...go buy an iMac, I'll take the laptop off your hands:rolleyes:

10. youpey macrumors member

your battery will go bad if you dont use it. my brother in law never used his battery and it went bad from not being used. he had to buy a new one

11. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

surely op saw the negative tone that would follow this thread......guess not :p

12. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

not me

Attached Files:

13. magamo macrumors 6502

Can you let me know how to get the "additional Info"? I always use iStat or System Profiler to see my battery cycles and health, but it seems the app in your pic can show more detailed info.

14. emt1 macrumors 65816

As a college student I easily put on 1 cycle a day. Get over it.

15. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Problem solved. :D

No but really...that's nearly the equivalent of one not wanting to type on the keyboard or touch the trackpad. Use it and enjoy it.

16. adityaw macrumors newbie

17. macduke Suspended

macduke

My MBP is 14 months old, has 103 cycles, and only 54% health on the battery. I felt like I cycled it regularly enough taking it to class, usually 3 days per week. From what I've read the thing that kills it the most is sitting there plugged in all day. I have my MBP hooked up to a 26" monitor and keyboard most of the time. So I ordered an extra battery and it came in the mail today. What I'm going to do is use that battery when I'm at school and leave the low-health battery connected while the computer is running all day. That way I'll have a healthy battery with low cycles when I need it and a crap battery that I can basically waste away during the day. I just wish I had a way to charge my new battery externally because I'm afraid after awhile I'll keep forgetting and leaving it plugged in all day when I get back from class to let it charge.

18. gothamm macrumors 6502a

19. gothamm macrumors 6502a

you were misinformed my friend.

the thing to take away from this thread is that not all batteries are created equally.

take my battery stats for example. I lucked out with an excellent battery.

20. calvy macrumors 65816

I don't get how yours can be 2 months older than mine, and have 2 more cycles on it, but still be at 97% and mine be at 73%

Attached Files:

21. windels macrumors regular

windels

you know your macbook slows down if u use it without the battery in it?

22. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Even without cycles rechargeable battery will lose charge over time. I know how you feel though if you have a 17 inch. The non removeable battery thing is kind of scary when thinking that you'll eventually have to go without it for a while.

23. Pivzavod macrumors member

Well, it's like marrying a girl and keeping her 'on a zero cycle', never heard about something that weird :D

24. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Those pictures were taken from Coconut Battery.

I use mine on the battery daily as I take it around the house and in the garden/to another house multiple times in a day. I regularly take it down to about 2 minutes left of battery life.

I don't feel guilty about it, if the battery dies in future I can get a new battery.

Attached Files:

25. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

i can dig it though. When your using the 17 uni its almost like you want to treat the battery as good as possible because you have to go through hell to get it replaced. So i can deff dig the OP