Do you feel the iPad 2 is still a very worthy purchase?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kadin, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Kadin, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Don't get me wrong, I'd get the New iPad if I had the money but right now it's a tad more than I'd care to spend. I'm thinking if I can land a 'like new' condition (via craigslist) iPad 2 16GB Wifi for around $350, it might still be a good purchase in the long run.

Any signs that point to the 2 losing out on any soon to be released updates or support of any kind? I don't see any but honestly haven't looked too much into it.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

For the price difference I wouldn't buy an iPad 2. But that's just me.

3. iWantThat macrumors member

Same. This isn't meant to come off snobby but if $150 is that big of an issue for you right now I'd say save your money for a few months and by the new 16gb iPad. If you wait long enough you will be able to buy a refurbished version for $450. That's just my 2 cents though and admittedly I am rather high on the new retina display.

4. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

Yeah the iPad 2 isn't a very good purchase unless you are purchasing in bulk. If the 100$ price difference is that huge for you, i'd recommend waiting a month or two for the prices to drop a little on craigslist and such

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

The new iPad 16GB Wifi
    -$499

iPad 2 16GB Wifi
    -$349 (Refurb)

Its worth it to me. :)

I can do a lot with $150...could get an Apple TV 3 right along with it...

But I have all the above, though.

6. Kendo macrumors 68000

Definitely not worth it. Going back to the iPad 2 is like choosing an SDTV over an HDTV. The resolution on the new iPad is twice that of the iPad 2.

7. balzmcfearson macrumors regular

balzmcfearson

i think 350 cash is still a great deal for the device

it's almost 200 less than what you'd pay for the cheapest new one with tax

8. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

not really fair to compare refurb vs. new

Although you do have a point

9. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Still a remarkable device, i'll still have one knocking around in the studio

Nothing wrong with it BUT i would sooner save for the new one

10. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

First off you're comparing a refurb product vs. a new product

and secondly 150$ is a stretch from "almost 200"

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It would make more sense for people in education or others buying in bulk to get the iPad 2. For the average consumer who isn't strapped for every single penny, the newest gen is kind of a no-brainer. Just that screen alone is worth the upgrade.

12. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Well all of the updates to iMovie and GarageBand yesterday will work on iPad 2. iPhoto for iPad is also compatible with it.

I'm very sure iOS 6 will be compatible as well.

And you also have to consider that Apple is still keeping the iPad 2 in the line. It's not like they are ditching it altogether. It's just another option for people, so I don't see them stopping support for it very soon.

Personally, I would save up and pass on the iPad 2. I really like the display on my iPhone 4, and the lack of high-res display on my iPad 2 was really my only gripe with it. The $150 you save is money you could put towards apps, a smart cover, case, dock, and other accessories.

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

A refurb is just like its new. Apple doesn't sell scratched up refurbs. Theres hardly any difference between a new iPad 2 and a refurb.

14. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I think they were adding in the fact that tax will definitely get you close... whereas a cash purchase is what it is. I'd buy via craigslist most likely, no refurb from Apple direct.

15. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I agree. Key point is you said you'd get the iPad 3 if you had the money. That's what you really want. Save up and purchase what you really want when you really can. Otherwise you'll regret.

16. balzmcfearson macrumors regular

balzmcfearson

op never mentioned refurb... simply said he could pick one up for ~350

vs

$542.04

= 192.04 not too far from 200 in my book

17. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Good point. I was simply figuring I'd then flip this iPad 2 via CL and get the new one when I really felt the need to upgrade. But maybe that'll be more work than it's worth.

Either way, I appreciate all the opinions from everyone. :)

18. lanthom macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I went ahead and picked up a 2 yesterday from Craigslist for 350 w/ AppleCare and couldn't be happier. I mainly using it to replace an older laptop of mine and I don't plan on doing a lot of high def games and such. As much as I wouldike the high end model with 2 kids I buy what I can and the extra 150+ can go along way with the kids. It's whatever you really want and the more I read on here the more I wanted the 3 but the 2 fit my needs so there was no reason to fork over the extra cash.

19. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

Ahh i see OP wants to compare a used iPad for 350 vs a brand new one for 500..

In which case, why would you not just get a refurb one for 350 that comes with a full year warranty? not to mention pretty much brand new

20. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

it's not worth it for only $100 price difference.

But I was able to get one for $359 from microcenter last night. with tax was $389. new one would be $541 with tax so difference of $152 was worth it to me. Plus, it's not like you can easily go pick up an iPad 3 right now or even near launch day so that adds some benefit to getting an iPad 2 also if you don't need the latest and greatest.

21. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

You don't pay tax when you buy it used on CL as I mentioned.

22. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

I bought the iPad 2 yesterday after the announcement. Got applecare and still paid less than what it cost the day before. I don't think the difference is the same as SDTV vs. HDTV as was pointed out before. You can delay your purchase all you want, but you are still spending an extra $108 bucks. Just because some people have to have the latest and greatest, doesn't mean getting an iPad 2 for $100 less is a bad deal.

23. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

24. bobright macrumors 601

This is my thinking and I ordered one an it's in the mail coming, but man the Retina would be awesome. BUT I'm saving all I can for a high end iMac when they drop. Still debating on wether I should return it and just get the higher end definitely feel what ur feeling.

Ugh.

25. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

wish I had heard of microcenter yesterday. That is an awesome deal. Free shipping?