Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Don't get me wrong, I'd get the New iPad if I had the money but right now it's a tad more than I'd care to spend. I'm thinking if I can land a 'like new' condition (via craigslist) iPad 2 16GB Wifi for around $350, it might still be a good purchase in the long run.

Any signs that point to the 2 losing out on any soon to be released updates or support of any kind? I don't see any but honestly haven't looked too much into it.

For the price difference of that used one vs a new one from apple I'd just buy the new ipad 2, get the year warranty that comes with it, and also the brand new battery that you know some one else hasn't treated totally wrong.

50 dollars off is not worth used imho when you don't get warranty and you have to worry how well the product was treated.

(now if that were an ipad 2 with more storage or 3g or something that doesn't exactly equate with the new iPad 2 Apple is offering that would be different and may be worth it. But not for the exact same thing you can get brand new).

cyb204

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
bought an ipad2 last week. no regrets and its perfectly fine. display on it is great. happy i have an extra hundred in my wallet for other things.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
the current market for used ipad 2s says otherwise. they are selling from anywhere between 300-360 right now, which means any where in that price range is still a great value.

Just cause people are suckers and are going to pay that price doesn't make it a good value. I don't know why anyone would pay 360 for a used iPad 2 16GB wifi when for 40 dollars more they can get a new one, from a trusted source (no worries about scams or even worse, robberies) that has a year warranty and has a brand new battery and you know it hasn't been abused.

Honestly, anyone paying 360 for a used one of the same that Apple is selling brand new is a complete sucker. Just pony up the extra and get much better peace of mind.

And my own opinion is having the machine that will stay relevant longer and has the much nicer screen is worth 100 dollars more. But I will say that is really more a personal choice (I don't think some one is silly for just going with the iPad 2 depending on what their wants are. If they aren't going to use it much or not going to read much text it (or are going to be happy with what it does now for a long time and don't need it to stay compatible with all the current apps for a long time) it's probably better they don't spend the 100 extra). It really depends on the person whether the 2 or 3 is a good deal.

(But I would want at least 70 dollars off the new price if I were to buy used, *at least*. And for me it probably still wouldn't convince me honestly but that's about where I'd consider it not a rip off price even if I don't find it worth it).

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
For what it is worth OP and many others, a relative of mine recently picked up an iPad 2 for under $300, so we weary of some prices now.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
The lack of a faster CPU pretty much guarantees that there will be a 'better' iPad next year with a 28nm quad core a15 based CPU that feels much faster ...

Welcome to the world of iDevices and their planned annual obsolescence!

What could Apple have done differently though? The only possibility is if they had access to time machine to bring 28nm a15 quad core chips in 2011. it is hard to fault Apple when they are using the largest and presumably the most expensive chip in the industry right now.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Just cause people are suckers and are going to pay that price doesn't make it a good value. I don't know why anyone would pay 360 for a used iPad 2 16GB wifi when for 40 dollars more they can get a new one, from a trusted source (no worries about scams or even worse, robberies) that has a year warranty and has a brand new battery and you know it hasn't been abused.

Honestly, anyone paying 360 for a used one of the same that Apple is selling brand new is a complete sucker. Just pony up the extra and get much better peace of mind.

And my own opinion is having the machine that will stay relevant longer and has the much nicer screen is worth 100 dollars more. But I will say that is really more a personal choice (I don't think some one is silly for just going with the iPad 2 depending on what their wants are. If they aren't going to use it much or not going to read much text it (or are going to be happy with what it does now for a long time and don't need it to stay compatible with all the current apps for a long time) it's probably better they don't spend the 100 extra). It really depends on the person whether the 2 or 3 is a good deal.

(But I would want at least 70 dollars off the new price if I were to buy used, *at least*. And for me it probably still wouldn't convince me honestly but that's about where I'd consider it not a rip off price even if I don't find it worth it).

you do realize i gave a range right? Meaning at the extremes, people were paying as little as 300 and as high as 360. i agree that at 360, it is not a good deal.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I own both the iPad 2 and iPad 3, and personally, I think the iPad 2 is still a worthy purchase... if one of the two following conditions meet:

1) You don't read a lot of books/documents/PDFs. Movies watch fine on the iPad 2 vs iPad 3 because there aren't a lot of movie contents that can make the iPad 3 stand out... save for 1080p Blu-Ray rips. Most Youtube videos are available in lower than 720p as well, so the screen res of the iPad 3 would be a big waste for movies.

2) You don't require fast network access. The only pleasant thing about the faster 4G LTE network on the iPad 3 that I have found is that I can now do VNC sessions back to my home computer with decent performance (almost like I am sitting in front of my computer). Other than that, I think I can wait another 10 seconds for a web page to load. I'm in no hurry to know that information after all.

That said, the $100 difference is worth it for the screen alone, I think. But again... if reading is not a big priority, I would advise iPad 2 because it's $100 cheaper.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
I sold my 32GB ipad 2 Verizon for $400. Try to get at least a 32GB wifi if you're gonna get a used one.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
I personally can't imagine not having the retina display (there's a reason I didn't upgrade to an iPad 2 from the iPad 1), but for one of those people that's too blind to appreciate the razor-sharp text, phenomenal-looking photos and great HD video, I guess they should save $100 and get the iPad 2.

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
If you're comparing to the new iPad, then no. But to other new android tablets, it is still way more worthy than them.

StellarEvo

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
I was going to get my wife an iPad 2 but after having the new one for a full day, I can't do that anymore.

I'd rather spend more to get the the new one. I think it is worth it but YMMV.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
you do realize i gave a range right? Meaning at the extremes, people were paying as little as 300 and as high as 360. i agree that at 360, it is not a good deal.

Actually, if you were quoting craigslist prices, it's more like people were *asking* those prices. Doesn't mean they were getting them. And even at that range, only the lower end would I consider a reasonable price.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Actually, if you were quoting craigslist prices, it's more like people were *asking* those prices. Doesn't mean they were getting them. And even at that range, only the lower end would I consider a reasonable price.

buying one at 300 used is pretty rare. look at the recent sales on ebay just from today:

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?LH_I...c=1&_nkw=ipad+2+16gb+wifi&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

apple hardware does not depreciate in value as fast as you think. sellers would have no trouble selling it at the 300 price point. that's why they rarely price it so low; it is worth more than that.

iohass

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2012
Canada
I think if you are buying new, it's well worth the extra $100 for the new ipad.

If you can get a used/refurbished one for $300, though, ipad2 would definitely be a great buy.

I never owned one and jumped from ipad1 to new ipad and absolutely love the new screen. That said, i look at the original ipad now and the outdated screen doesn't bother me one bit and since that's the major difference between the two devices, I think i could live with an ipad2.

I guess it also depends on what you do, though. If you browse the net and send emails, screen is not worth it. If you watch videos and play games, probably go for ipad3.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I got a 2 mo old pristine ipad2 16 wifi, in the box for $300 2 weeks ago. it was a jailbreakable fill-in til I decide on a 3. I sold my ipad 2 32g ATT for $635 three weeks ago.
I will go to store tomorrow to see the 3. If it blows me away I'll keep the no-tax iPad3 32 ATT I ordered online Fri. I get it on Thursday.

I think the 2 definitely was more of an upgrade over the 1 than the 3 is over the 2, but I haven't even seen the 3 screen so what do I know.
for normal people, not applenuts like me, the 2 is a beautiful machine. enjoy either.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Keep in mind you can get the iPad 2 for $399 now and save the money and use it to buy the iPad 4th Gen when it comes out. That should have a much bigger increase in hardware, specs, and software to go along with it.

While I did upgrade to a iPad 3rd gen 16 GB model myself from my iPad 2 32 GB wifi only, I could have lived with my iPad 2. I wanted the cellular model though incase I wanted to use data on it. I am reselling the 32 GB wifi model on ebay to make some of the money back though so in the end the upgrade won't cost me as much out of pocket money. Will do the same thing next year.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
buying one at 300 used is pretty rare. look at the recent sales on ebay just from today:

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?LH_I...c=1&_nkw=ipad+2+16gb+wifi&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

apple hardware does not depreciate in value as fast as you think. sellers would have no trouble selling it at the 300 price point. that's why they rarely price it so low; it is worth more than that.

That's fine. I still think people are being ripped off if they are spending more than 70 dollars less than new. Cause honestly, I'd rather have the new with the warranty and no worries about abuse or how long the battery is going to last than save a little money and get used.

Really people should think about these things before thinking, "Oh, it's a little cheaper." Sometimes longetivity also should factor into price and whether saving those few bux really saves you money.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
That's fine. I still think people are being ripped off if they are spending more than 70 dollars less than new. Cause honestly, I'd rather have the new with the warranty and no worries about abuse or how long the battery is going to last than save a little money and get used.

Really people should think about these things before thinking, "Oh, it's a little cheaper." Sometimes longetivity also should factor into price and whether saving those few bux really saves you money.

I still have and use my two iPhone 3G phones in my house and car. One plays videos in the car for my daughter and the othe streams our iTunes library to a spare tv (basically it is make shift apple tv). 4 years running, longevity isn't a problem.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
yup there comes a point when upgrading doesn't make sense to the normal customer, no matter what the cost difference. for example, my desktop is still using the older Intel Q6600 even though all the i-processors have been out for a while now. why? because the Q6600 is plenty fast for my needs. i am thinking it is the same way between ipad 2 and 3 users. i owned the ipad 2 for a long time and thought it was a fantastic device. not once did i feel it was too slow for what i was doing with it. now, i'm sitting here with the ipad 3 and thinking "this thing does everything my ipad 2 does, but with a nicer screen." i would not be surprised at all if a lot of people stuck with their ipad 2s and saved their money.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
yup there comes a point when upgrading doesn't make sense to the normal customer, no matter what the cost difference. for example, my desktop is still using the older Intel Q6600 even though all the i-processors have been out for a while now. why? because the Q6600 is plenty fast for my needs. i am thinking it is the same way between ipad 2 and 3 users. i owned the ipad 2 for a long time and thought it was a fantastic device. not once did i feel it was too slow for what i was doing with it. now, i'm sitting here with the ipad 3 and thinking "this thing does everything my ipad 2 does, but with a nicer screen." i would not be surprised at all if a lot of people stuck with their ipad 2s and saved their money.

Yup, if the iPad 4th gen doesn't have something that is game changing in it I wont upgrade. I foresee probably quad core CPU, 1 GB of RAM, HD front facing camera to replace the VGA one, same 5 MP rear camera (might be lucky to get the iPhone 4S 8 MP camera), same screen, same storage space due to the iCloud or other cloud based storage being out there and that is where the companies seem to be pushing towards. The near field technology maybe. Probably about it. Anything else will be in the 5th or 6th gen models.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I still have and use my two iPhone 3G phones in my house and car. One plays videos in the car for my daughter and the othe streams our iTunes library to a spare tv (basically it is make shift apple tv). 4 years running, longevity isn't a problem.

Yes, but you probably took care of them. You probably also didn't do abusive charging cycles. You know their history from the start.

Tell me, how do you know the history of the phone/ipad you bought from random stranger who could even be outright lieing to you about the care? I mean sure you could easily get a good one too, but you are taking that risk when you buy used (which is one big reason it's not worth as much as new).

Plus, the new ipad you get a year warranty so even if there is an issue at least you know you'll have a year of it being taken care of even if there is an issue.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Apple Has a web page where you put the serial # in and it tells any applicable warranty still available. I use it whenever I shop used apple stuff, don't have the link here on my pad. Just google apple warranty status or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.