Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kapp2

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2015
Denmark
I strongly suspect you didn't really try a mini 4 ....
I don't know about the iPad pro, but I can't see ANY difference between the mini 4 and the air 2 navigating through photos or Safari, not to speak about the springboard (!!!). Zero difference.

I stood and choosed between Mini 4 and Air 2, choosed Air 2. So yes i tried an mini 4 !

Reactions: Billy95Tech

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
The mini 4 does feel a tad laggy on iOS 9, but only when opening the multitasking switcher. I think the 2GB is going to be what keeps this device supported in the long haul.

Other than that lag, this iPad boots up insanely fast and is overall a really quick little tablet. I wouldn't let the A8 stop me from considering it a powerful device; it powers the mini just great.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
The mini 4 does feel a tad laggy on iOS 9, but only when opening the multitasking switcher. I think the 2GB is going to be what keeps this device supported in the long haul.

Other than that lag, this iPad boots up insanely fast and is overall a really quick little tablet. I wouldn't let the A8 stop me from considering it a powerful device; it powers the mini just great.

Any lag I had experienced disappeared with 9.2.

Reactions: viperGTS

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Woah, okay I definitely need to update my mini ASAP then. It's still on 9.1 lol, thanks for the heads up!

I can't promise that it will get rid of all stutters, since every device has its hiccups, but I'd be surprised if you didn't notice an improvement.

Reactions: viperGTS

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I stood and choosed between Mini 4 and Air 2, choosed Air 2. So yes i tried an mini 4 !
Still I can't see any performance difference between a mini 4 and the air 2...
The only way I know the Air2 is faster is through synthetic benchmarks.
The choice between the twos is about form factor. Nothing else.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I agree. For most users the difference in performance is only theoretical. The most relevant difference between the Air 2 and Mini 4 is the size. Some prefer more screen real estate, and some prefer greater portability.

kapp2

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2015
Denmark

On heavy graphic games its diffently notible. for benchmark, yup thats right :)

kapp2

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2015
Denmark
Could you show me a game where you can see difference from an Air 2 and a Mini 4 ? Even on Infinity blade 3 I can't see any....

Havnt tried IB3, little off topic. is the graphics any better on IB3 than 2 ? only got 2 right now. For game performance, I noticed games with Metal Engine runs super even on an old Mini 2 with A7. Without metal, some offer Graphic settings. on highest/Ultra. my 6 plus struggle sometimes :/ and its A8!

Mini 4 only have few ghz more than an iPhone 6/plus. So, i dont think gaming performance is that higher on mini 4

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Havnt tried IB3, little off topic. is the graphics any better on IB3 than 2 ? only got 2 right now. For game performance, I noticed games with Metal Engine runs super even on an old Mini 2 with A7. Without metal, some offer Graphic settings. on highest/Ultra. my 6 plus struggle sometimes :/ and its A8!

Mini 4 only have few ghz more than an iPhone 6/plus. So, i dont think gaming performance is that higher on mini 4
I don't really care about gaming, since it's not one of my primary use of a tablet, but any game I thrown at my iPad Air, iPhone or iPad mini run great.
Infinity blade 3 is slightly better than 2, but also games like real racing 3 run just fine.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
No, I think it a minor upgrade. Better screen, slightly better processor/ram, and touch ID. Nothing too groundbreaking to make a big announcement about it.
Well it's similar to the upgrade to air 2 to pro then...which is just a bigger screen, faster and more ram.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Well it's similar to the upgrade to air 2 to pro then...which is just a bigger screen, faster and more ram.

No, definitely not. Mini 3 to Mini 4 was very minor upgrades in ram (1 to 2gb, processor (minor upgrade to older A8), and screen size (color gamut is better, same resolution). The Pro doubled, which I think you could consider major, the processor and ram, increased the resolution and pixel density of the screen, upped the refresh rate, pencil support, and smart connector support. These were major upgrades from the Air 2 to the Pro.

gman36

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2015
San Diego, CA
Your kidding right?? You may like the mini 4 and I certainly see its portability factor but..??????
Owning both, the Mini 4 isn't even close in performance to the Pro. Thats not even subjective. The iPad Pro trounces the Mini 4 at such a significant margin that no one would ever compare the two. How can Speed not matter?? Crazy talk. If not then buy a refurb Air and save a lot of coin.

In most day to day tasks, you cannot really notice the speed difference. But in most day to day tasks, you can notice that the pro is quite uncomfortable to use around the house.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
No, definitely not. Mini 3 to Mini 4 was very minor upgrades in ram (1 to 2gb, processor (minor upgrade to older A8), and screen size (color gamut is better, same resolution). The Pro doubled, which I think you could consider major, the processor and ram, increased the resolution and pixel density of the screen, upped the refresh rate, pencil support, and smart connector support. These were major upgrades from the Air 2 to the Pro.

Since when is double the RAM and a much improved color gamut considered a minor upgrade? This isn't even considering the camera improvements and the much thinner body.

Reactions: Skika

darkgremio

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2011
I have both an iPad Air 2 and Mini 4. I find myself using the Mini 4 more, due to the increased size (Air 2 is 16gb Mini 4 is 64GB) and portability. I personally prefer the Mini over the iPad Air 2, it's not as portable. I most likely will upgrade to the iPad Pro sooner or later.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I loved the Mini 2 I had until I recently sold it thinking a iPhone 6S+ would be good enough. I like to play games and it worked well for that due to its portability. I wish Apple would have given the Mini 4 the A9 because if they did, I'd own one right now. All I have right now is the iPhone 6S+ and while I love it, there are a number of games I'd like to try that are iPad only so I've been out of luck.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I loved the Mini 2 I had until I recently sold it thinking a iPhone 6S+ would be good enough. I like to play games and it worked well for that due to its portability. I wish Apple would have given the Mini 4 the A9 because if they did, I'd own one right now. All I have right now is the iPhone 6S+ and while I love it, there are a number of games I'd like to try that are iPad only so I've been out of luck.
Is that A8x to A9 that big of an issue? It's very quick as it is

mrdeluxe

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2006
Do you guys think there is a place for both an Air 2 and a Mini 4?

I have an Air 2, 128GB with LTE and it (slowly but steadily) became my main computer.
However, I'm looking to replace my old keyboard Kindle, and I'm considering a 16GB, wifi-only Mini 4 as a companion device. Anyone with this combo? Do you feel they're redundant?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK

I have an Air 2, 128GB with LTE and it (slowly but steadily) became my main computer.
However, I'm looking to replace my old keyboard Kindle, and I'm considering a 16GB, wifi-only Mini 4 as a companion device. Anyone with this combo? Do you feel they're redundant?
I have both so yeah I would say yes

Different tasks I use the air for compared to the mini. Although it's only recently where I have tended to use the mini 4 first.

Generally though air is my at home device and mini 4 I use at work and I take it out with me to girlfriend house for example

Last edited:

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
The iPad mini 4 is one of the best Apple devices since years imo.
I even prefer it more than my iPhone 6s.

For me the mini4 is the ideal combination of power and portability. I only regret that the design isn't following the iPhone 6s. Power button on the right, volume on the left. After using my iPhone I keep mistaking myself.

The ui stutters you see and whatever crap (mistaken for 'facts' or obnoxious opinions)is going around is a lack of software/hardware optimisation. The iPad mini 4 hasn't reached its full potential yet.

If you choose between the three, pick the one that suits your portability needs. That's it, don't judge others on their needs, professional use or power consumption. And also don't start flaunting on how you are a "power user" because you use the [insert iPad type] all day.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012

I have an Air 2 64GB WiFi only and Mini4 16GB LTE. I primarily use the Air at home and prefer the larger screen. The Mini4 fits in my purse and is the device that leaves the house. I think the portability of the Mini is enhanced by having LTE. For me this combo is not redundant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.