Do you feel your MBP is really portable??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rhodent2013, May 30, 2009.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Are you serious?
    Of course... and I have the 17"

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Absolutely. I also have 17" - unibody.

Even more so, now that I don't need to drag around a 2nd battery.

3. rhodent2013 thread starter macrumors member

You don't feel that it is too big? I am trying to decide between getting the 15''MBP and the 13''MB... I want something that is easy to carry around..

But is also powerful..

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No, I do not... but that is a personal preference only you can decide
    For me... no... it is not too big

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Taking it somewhere yes but using in a car etc its a lot nicer to have a 13 inch screen! The weight etc is great however.

6. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

15 inch is good for carrying and using in a car but i wouldnt go bigger!

7. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I take my 15 in uMBP everywhere. It's really light.

8. paultapple macrumors newbie

No - MBP is FRAGILE if you plan to move it

I've had a MBP 17 and a Powerbook G4 17, and it can only loosely be described as portable. The aluminum case is very thin for such a heavy machine, and the result is fragility. Unless you are only moving the machine from room to room in your house or some other very modest transport, STAY AWAY. THIS IS NOT A ROAD WARRIOR MACHINE. I had had two hard drives fail, and in both cases the Apple store told me it was probably from "impact." Well, impact for this machine is anything rougher than handling it like an egg. My MBP had a plastic SPECK case around it and was in an InCase bag when not in use, and the scratches and dents from normal every day use were enough so that Apple denied my AppleCare warranty claim when the hard drive failed. (BTW, this Apple does seem like an insurance company with regard to AppleCare -- they will look for ANY possible reason to reject the claim, and then try to sell you a $1,200 fix instead.) I've been in Apple user since 1986 - not a typo - and I regret to say that I am switching back because I need a laptop that is actually - crazy idea this - portable.

9. acurafan macrumors 6502a

get the 2.4 13.3 macbook, then add ram and ssd drive.

10. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

The 15 inch is easy to carry around and it is much lighter than a pc 15 inch computer that i use to carry.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think you will find that this is not the experience of most MBP users
    Certainly it has not been my experience

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

12. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

15" is almost as portable at the 13" macbook...

see dimensions:

mb:
    Height:
    0.95 inch (2.41 cm)
    Width:
    12.78 inches (32.5 cm)
    Depth:
    8.94 inches (22.7 cm)
    Weight:
    4.5 pounds (2.04 kg)1

mbp: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Height:
    0.95 inch (2.41 cm)
    Width:
    14.35 inches (36.4 cm)
    Depth:
    9.82 inches (24.9 cm)
    Weight:
    5.5 pounds (2.49 kg)

Just 1lb heavier and only 1" bigger in width and depth. Take a mb and set it on top of a 15" mbp at the apple store and you'll see there's barely a difference. Bags that fit the 13" probably will fit the 15" as well.

13. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

wow - I've had Apple portables since the PB-100, including WallStreet, TiBook (2 of them), Albook (17"), MBP (17") and now UBMBP (17"). Admittedly, I don't carry as much as I used to, but they've been fine. Mostly carried from office to lab/cleanroom and back, and the usually coffee shop outings.

They aren't sold as ruggedized (which, I've developed on and used for Mil projects). I will say this, though - the new UB design is MUCH more solid than the "aluminum" MBP/PB. I would rarely pick up my 17" AlBook with one hand - it just didn't feel right. With the UB design, I don't hesitate - it feels like a single piece of aluminum. It doesn't feel "cheap" or fragile at all.

I'm sorry you've had such troubles, but it sounds like you are a candidate for either a true ruggedized case or a ruggedized PC (meeting Mil spec-like-ruggedized). Dents and substantial scratches are not "normal".

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I even find my old 12" powerbook a hassle to carry around. It's convenient to have with me, but carrying a couple of extra kilograms each day (and I end up carrying it for most of the day as I don't have a static desk) ends up being a bit of a hassle. It also takes up a fair amount of space in a bag once you include a power adapter. I'm seriously considering a switch to a netbook with a 3 or 9 cell battery for out on the road.

15. rhodent2013 thread starter macrumors member

THANKS! THIS WAS SUPER HELPFUL. I am going with the 15'' :D

16. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Going from a 13" MacBook to a 15" MBP is a much bigger trade-off/adjustment than from a 15" MBP to a 17" MBP.

Each one is only 1" wider/deeper than the other, but it makes more of a difference than you would think. I currently own a 15" but I'll very likely upgrade to a 17" once they go to Core i5.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Portable... ha!

I usually carry 2 laptops, 2 cell phones, iPod, ebook reader, flashlight, radio, extra batteries... Plus whatever reading and stuffs.

So it's very portable.

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Very portable. Mine goes everywhere to work and back with me.

They are also very rugged despite what you hear. Mine gets beat up all the time and not a dent or scratch. Once I even hopped out of the bed and stepped heal first onto it. I'm 220 pounds. Nothing. No dent or cracked screen. Nothing.

That being said if portability is your first choice I really do like the 13 inch for that but 15 is just fine.

19. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I don't find the 15" very portable at all. I always feel I have to "pack" it when bringing it. And in lots of my bags and camera backpacks it just dosent fit. When I used the 12 iBook I could just chuck it in anywhere without thinking. I wish I didn't need the FireWire 800 and express card slot so I could have bought a mb

20. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Never had issues carrying around my old 15" MBP.

21. danerh macrumors member

SIZE DOESN'T MATTER - its how you use it

This is something that pops up again and again... this concept of portability, and truthfully I don't understand why anyone would devote a thread to it. Screen real estate is something everybody would like more of (let me finnish), but it comes at a cost, both in $$ and in the size and weight of the thing. Obviously a 30 inch laptop would just be ridiculous, and something the size of an iphone isn't practical for everything you may want to do... but where to draw the line? 17 inches seems to be about the biggest getting 'round, and is the case for apples line up, and at the moment its 13 inches at the smallest... is it any harder to pick up and carry around a 17inch than a 13 inch though? NO!!! maybe for a 3 year old or if you are trying to simultaneously juggle some kitchen knives or something - but portability wise they are equal. Get the 13 inch if you WANT something smaller... if the size of the screen does everything you want and desire it to (miniaturization is a wonderful trend) or you just can't justify spending more. But a 17 inch (or 15) fits just as nicely on your lap if you're in a car or plane or anywhere else... sure you'll need a slightly bigger bag and those extra few grams/pounds may be worth shedding for your next everest expedition, but for work and home and everywhere in between... you won't notice the difference. I've had a 12 inch power book and a 17 inch macbook and "packing" it requires the same amount of time and energy which is pretty negligible anyway! Anyone who claims that a 15 inch isn't portable enough is just self justifying their own purchase or simply loves to whinge... When oh when does 2 inches make a difference outside the bedroom?... Seriously though - if you need a computer there, you'll take it there, just pick the one you'd like to use when you'll need it... and get yourself an iDisk. They're great for when you forget.

22. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

If it fits in a backpack, it's portable.

I honestly don't understand the people that whine about 17" laptops, especially something as light as the MBP, not being portable

23. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Hmmm dunno how much portable you want it to get. :p

24. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I'm not whining. In just stating to the op how I feel about the size. I don't try to justify my purchase. I did buy the15".
    For me, I'm not talking on behalf of everybody (as you seem to do), the extra weight and size is a downside. I carry it around to locations in my camera bag and would love to shed some weight where ever possible.
    Due to performance and the connections I need a MacBook is out of the question