Do you get used to the glossy screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by glitch44, Jun 20, 2009.

1. glitch44 macrumors 65816

I'm curious if you get used to the glossy screen after a while. It's the only thing holding me back from getting a MBP.

I think I might find the glare and my reflection distracting while working.

2. Stonebyte macrumors newbie

I suppose others may have differing opinions, but I don't find it distracting at all. I just got a 17" MBP last Saturday, so I've only been using it for a week. My last notebook (a PC), however, also had a glossy screen.

When I got the MBP last weekend, the guy at the Apple store asked if I wanted the glossy or the matte screen. In comparing the two, which they had on display, I found the colors more vibrant on the glossy version. The matte finish must dull things a tad. I actually assumed the glossy would cost more.

This is probably the one time in my life that I didn't automatically pick the more expensive option. I generally have this unfortunate knack for it.

I use the computer at work. The office has a lot of fluorescent lighting, but I honestly don't recall being troubled by reflections. I've only noticed reflections when the screen is actually off.

I haven't tried using it in direct sunlight... that may be a different matter. I'm not sure. I don't generally compute in the great outdoors though. :D

3. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

no.. im being honest.. for the first month, i THOUGHT i did.. now i hate it..
    its barely bearable.

4. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I've used a laptop (not Apple) a few months back, with a glossy screen - didn't bother me at all; actually the better colors / depth are worth going glossy.

5. fts3v3r macrumors newbie

I honestly love the glossy screen much more than matte screen on my previous MBP.

It all depends on the person.

6. Mcmac17 macrumors member

I didn't adjust to glossy completely within a month of use so I swapped to matte (when laptop needed replacing for another reason).
    For me the matte is better.

7. Beaverfish macrumors regular

Once you have used a glossy screen, you will really like it. I came from a 17" Dell (matt) to a 15" glossy MBP

It takes a little while to get used too, but once you do there is no going back. :)

8. LowMach macrumors member

not yet for me.

its fantastic in dark rooms though. the colors are vibrant!

reminds me of the big old crt days.

i will give it some more time though. seems to help if i have zero angle on the screen in rooms with over head lighting.

i sold my last macbook because i couldn't get along with the screen's glare and viewing angles. i haven't noticed any issues with viewing angles with this one. but i do admit i am a little jealous of my wifes 15" mbp with the matte screen.

i suppose if your still in school you could use it to peek at the hot chick behind you. lol!

:D

edit: i should note that i like my monitors at a lower brightness level than most.

9. ndstrenge macrumors regular

Some say it depends on the person.

I think it depends more on the environment- natural or unnatural lighting conditions.

Look at your computer now, and the environment around you. I have a glossy late '08 umbp and I absolutely love it. But neither my office nor my home are naturally lit.

(quite sad now that I typed that. :()

But, the other day I had an outside sports festival to attend and the guy with his laptop (some NEC thing) was squinting beyond all oblivion to see his matte surface with no LED pushing the vis.

I'll never go matte. But I don't walk around on the beach either.

10. eron macrumors 6502

I thought I got used to my glossy mbp. Until I got a 24" HP LP2475w, I realised that Matt is so much better. Take note that I'm using them in dual display mode.

Luckily I didn't get the 24" Apple LED which cost twice as much.

11. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I've always had matte since I switched over to Apple. I went from using an iMac w/matte to my new 17" MBP and I now have glossy. I also should mention that I used my girlfriends uMB that has the glossy so I did get use to it before hand but no matter.
    I looked at my areas that I use my MBP and judged that it really wouldn't matter for me either way. So far no complaints and still very happy about my choice :D I don't think there is a wrong or right just what different people like and that's a good thing because it brings choice to the table.

eron, nice display you have there.

12. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I like the glossy screen

You won't notice it when the laptop is on...and the people who do are just being overly picky :apple:

13. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

well, by glossy, im assuming were talking about glassy here.

the glass is what makes glossy unbearable. ive seen my friends older MBP w/ glossy and the glare comparison with glassy vs glossy is so big that i even had to ask him if his old mbp was glossy or matte because the glare/reflection was that much more minimal compared to the glassy. im a huge matte fan but that doesnt mean i absoLUTELY hate glossy. but i what i do hate is the glassy :'(

i hope there are other sources besides techrestore to get matte finish with a slightly cheaper price... plus, i dont know what LCD theyll use for the matte LCD

I would say glassy is marginally a deal breaker.

14. jim.arrows macrumors regular

Don't do it

Don't reward them for forcing glossy on you. If you want matte send them feedback and tell them you're not buying until they offer it again. You shouldn't have to "get used to" anything for the prices they ask. If they're not offering it when I replace my 15" matte mbp I'll be completely happy going back to Windows now that 7 is upon us. Screw Apple and their "we'll tell you what you want" mentality, and this is from someone with a Mini, MBP, and Mac Pro 2.8 octo. They should have returned matte as an option on this latest round of refreshes...

15. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

I have a new 17" and absolutely love my glossy screen. If anti-glare was default and glossy cost extra, I would still have gotten glossy. Hell, I'd have probably paid up to $200 extra for it. It's not that I'm used to glossy, either... my last two screens (and before that I only had CRTs) were both matte. But this is just an unbelievably crisp, vivid, punchy image. And I haven't once yet experienced noticeable glare; crank up the brightness and it disappears.

16. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

I honestly don't see it at all. Even sitting in front of a window I can only see the "glare" if I look at an angle.

Many graphic designers and artists would recommend against a glossy screen if you are going to do professional work, but other than that it's all a matter of opinion.

17. lathode macrumors member

I haven't used mine in really bad lighting conditions, but after 2 days I like it. I like that's it's actual glass also and not a spray coating over a matte screen.

18. gorjan macrumors 6502

19. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Glossy/glassy, it's horrible. If you are watching a movie in anything but pitch black conditions, when you cut in between scenes or there are any dark scenes, your reflection shows up. It also happens on a navy blue background webpage or anything like that.

It is highly distracting and you never get used to it.

Please keep in mind that I come from the camp that the new unibodies are actually not any better than the classic macbook pros. I feel that the keyboards feel plasticky/loose/toy-like, and the action on the old keyboards is exceptionally smooth and rewarding. The glass trackpad losing a button actually is not as accurate as the old ones, b/c when you rest your finger on the trackbutton, the trackpad gets confused. The screens are actually a downgrade in my opinion, and for the 15" model, it feels kind of wide even though it's thin. I don't really see any functional reason why they had to increase the footprint of the unibody 15" mbp. On the plus side, the battery life is now better on the unibodies and the contruction is generally more solid.

20. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Yeah, it's better than the muted colors on a matte screen.

Matte surface by design diffuses light, so it softens/mutes the colors.

At first I did not think I would like it, but after two days I won't go back to matte screens.

21. kkim0228 macrumors newbie

Used it for eight months and still sucks. I find myself shifting around the notebook adjusting the display angle to avoid the glare.

22. hamis92 macrumors 6502

Well put. These were the exact reasons why I actually downgraded two days ago from 15" Late 2008 to 15" Early 2008. I had the unibody model for 7 months and at first I kinda liked the screen, but over time I began to dislike it. Haven't regretted my decision at all.

23. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Yes - I'm fine with glossy. It's no problem for me...

24. srexy macrumors 6502a

I'm posting from a 15" uMBP hooked up to an old school 20" ACD (matte) and I prefer the uMBP's screen. The matte just looks washed out in comparison.

Haven't had to test it up against any kind of print job yet for comparison but so far the glossy screen wins.

25. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I came from a matte 15" MBP to a 13.3" aluminum MacBook and I greatly appreciated the screen.
    They look oddly out of place in an Apple Store but great in Best Buy. I think it's the way Apple Stores are designed. So for anyone who thinks they look less than appealing in an Apple Store, it's probably just the lighting. They do look great at home or in an office. Sure they are highly reflective, but the more vivid colors and brighter screen did it for me. I'll be in a completely dark room with the brightness on the lowest level and it'll still be really bright.
    The only complaint is that I always have to change the angle of the screen because the top would be bright and the bottom would be dark and vice versa. Lots of people love the the new MBPs because they have way better color than all before.