Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Hey guys,

I can't go for the 16.2 inch as it is too heavy for me...

I wanted to get the M1 Max with 32-core GPU on the 14 inch, but I'm worried about it thermal throttling too much, so instead I want to go with the 24-core GPU option in the hopes that it will throttle less.

Do you also think the 32-core option will throttle too much on the 14 inch? and will the 24-core run much cooler without throttle?

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
I can't imagine, remember look at the TDP of the chip, we're talking 30-50Watts compared to 100+ on Intel.. having to cool 100+ Watts with Intel was a different engineering feat, this one is much easier.

That was the whole point of their presentation showing performance per watt, throttling is a thing of the past with these ARM chips.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Well, in theory it should be possible. If Razer can fit an AMD CPU with a RTX 3070 in a 14” laptop without thermal throttling, Apple should be able to fit the 32-core GPU without issues.

But on the other hand, this is Apple we are talking about, their cooling solutions always have been bad.

So we will have to wait and see I guess.

Reactions: macpot

macpot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
I can't imagine, remember look at the TDP of the chip, we're talking 30-50Watts compared to 100+ on Intel.. having to cool 100+ Watts with Intel was a different engineering feat, this one is much easier.

That was the whole point of their presentation showing performance per watt, throttling is a thing of the past with these ARM chips.

gpu.jpg

Based on their chart, I think the M1 Max'es 32-core GPU alone peaks at 60Watts,
Adding the 30Watts of the CPU to it got me a bit worried...

Adding other stuff I still don't know how that 96W charger is going to charge it while under full load and why the 16" needs a 140W charger instead for just 2 extra inches :D

Reactions: DeepIn2U

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah it comes down to basic physics, what producer
View attachment 1871981

Based on their chart, I think the M1 Max'es 32-core GPU alone peaks at 60Watts,
Adding the 30Watts of the CPU to it got me a bit worried...

Adding other stuff I still don't know how that 96W charger is going to charge it while under full load :D
60 Watts compared to 3080 RTX which has a TDP of 150 and Intel i9 with 45Watts, puts this at 195Watts.

The M1 is all in since it's SoC, there is no difference between the "GPU" Wattage and the "CPU" Wattage.

Reactions: macpot

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
There is not a chance in hell Apple would allow their silicon to throttle due to bad thermals. With Intel, they didn't have much of a choice as Intel sucks at heat/power consumption. There is just no way they would even make the machine if they couldn't support the cooling properly. I have an M1 now and the fans barely ever go on.

macpot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
There is not a chance in hell Apple would allow their silicon to throttle due to bad thermals. With Intel, they didn't have much of a choice as Intel sucks at heat/power consumption. There is just no way they would even make the machine if they couldn't support the cooling properly. I have an M1 now and the fans barely ever go on.

Thanks, but I've seen some videos that Macbook Pro M1 reaches 98° Celcius and throttles while running some games.

I'm sure 16" will be fine, but I'm a bit worried about the 14"

Hopefully since these are completely redesigned there won't be such issues.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

I mean, Apple deliberately removed the fan on the MacBook Air M1 so it would throttle.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Will the M1 Max throttle on 14-inch?

Yes.

The 16-inch model weighs more with M1 Max. Apple obviously thought it was necessary to put a larger heatsink or an additional fan with that config. Given the 14-inch doesn't have this weight increase, that tells you throttling will happen.

1634706067501.png

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
As stated before, we just don’t know for sure so we have to wait about a week and then will find out and then we can give you a more logical answer.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Well the air isnt a 'pro' machine, to be thin like it is there are no fans. The 14" will not throttle.

The Air had a fan. Apple removed it on the M1.

The question isn’t really whether or not the 14-inch will throttle. It’s how much. I already explained why.

Reactions: Juraj22 and cardfan

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Will the M1 Max throttle on 14-inch?

Yes.

The 16-inch model weighs more with M1 Max. Apple obviously thought it was necessary to put a larger heatsink or an additional fan with that config. Given the 14-inch doesn't have this weight increase, that tells you throttling will happen.

View attachment 1872055
You don’t know that’s why the weight is different. You’re speculating.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
I am curious if all the CPU/GPU options will vary in terms of how 'cool and quiet' the MacBooks run. Since Apple is listing the same exact battery life across all chip options (for both sizes), does that mean that they will all run at the same thermal levels regardless of cores? This is with normal day to day use - not pushing them. Total chip/thermal noob here. Just curious if the chips with more cores will run inherently hotter than a chip with less cores (with normal use). Or is it just a matter of how often the fans kick in (with each chip variant) to keep them all relatively the same in terms of thermals.

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
There is no other logical explanation for the weight difference.
They also put an asterisk next to 14” weight, without listing specifics. Max is bigger chip, should have more meat inside for cooling. It would be cheaper to have one common cooling system though.

14” most likely won’t thermal throttle, it will be power limited. Same components on 16” ask for 40 more watts. Even from their presentation difference between pro and max is 45% on 14” and 70% on 16”.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
They also put an asterisk next to 14” weight, without listing specifics. Max is bigger chip, should have more meat inside for cooling. It would be cheaper to have one common cooling system though.

14” most likely won’t thermal throttle, it will be power limited. Same components on 16” ask for 40 more watts. Even from their presentation difference between pro and max is 45% on 14” and 70% on 16”.

I don’t see an asterisk beside the 14-inch model. Maybe you’re talking about the superscript? That notation for manufacture variances shows for all Apple products. But only the 16-inch shows a heavier weight for the M1 Max.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Edge of rounding e.g. 4.751 lbs for the M1 Max and 4.749 lbs for the M1 Pro

That would probably fall under “Weight varies by configuration and manufacturing process.” Given that Apple had to put a new number just for M1 Max, it’s probably more substantial than just rounding.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.