Do you guys think the iPad will be announced this month?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobright, Jan 2, 2011.

1. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Is that what the word around is??

2. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

50/50...

iPad was introduce in a keynote early January to introduce a new device to a market that needed 60/90 day shipping...

I give it 50% probability that we will see a keynote introducing iPad 2 unless apple has a keynote somewhere in March/April

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm guessing Apple doesn't want to steal thunder from the assumed Verizon iPhone, so I would look for a February or March announcement. It's also different going from the first model to the second one. Announcing the first one whetted appetites for three months. Announcing the second one will kill sales of the first one unless you jack the prices down on the old models.

I'd look for probably a March announcement.

4. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

While it is a possibility, I wouldn't be surprised if the keynote for the next iPad is still a month or two away. Being a second gen products, Apple wouldn't want as much time between announcement to release. I agree with what Michael CM1 said, sales would drop during that time.

5. Macbees macrumors newbie

Possible, but highly unlikely... the ipad had just been launched in 11 countries on the 30 Nov.
    It's more likely to be in a few months, with a concurrent launch in all countries.

The ipad is still selling well.. good business sense would be to sell as many & as long as possible to maximize profits.. and Apple IS a business.
    There are still no worthy competitor out there... wouldnt it make competitive sense to wait for your competitors to come out with their offerings before you release your product to kill off your competitors?

We should be seeing lots of tablet launches in the coming CES, then wait 2-3 months & apple should then come out with the ipad 2..

Therefore Mar/Apr seem like a good bet.

my 2 cents

6. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

Late Jan - Mid February is my bet. Apple will follow shortly after CES as always. iPhone on Verizon and iPad 2 in same conference, K.O blow to competition and will dominate all media talk.

7. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

I will say there is a 20% chance a new iPad will be announced this January. March is still my bet, probably ship in April.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That's the safest answer anyone can give.

9. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Yeah think this could be right too

10. JulianL macrumors 65816

I'd give it a less than 5% probability of being announced in January. I believe that the iPad 2010 keynote in January was a first-generation anomaly. Look at the iPhone, the same thing happened - the first generation was announced well in advance of shipment and then subsequent iPhone versions were announced much closer to the availability date.

For a first generation launch there is no previous model in the market where Apple has to worry about stalling sales of the currently shipping model because a successor has been announced so they can afford to announce 90 days ahead of availability, in fact it's an advantage because it has the potential to stall sales of competitors' products and/or cause competitors to delay launches of new products so that they aren't launched into a market that is frozen while waiting for Apple's product to ship.

From 2010, I believe that it is the April shipping date that will be preserved but the announcement, for the reasons mentioned above, will be much closer to that date in 2011. I predict an iPad 2 announcement in very late March or early April.

- Julian

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Apple are in business to make lots of money, they are not stupid when it comes to making money.

They would not wish to do anything that's negative to their business plan.

There is no current reason for them to announce the new iPad to the general public. Many of which won't even know a new model is probably coming in April.

Announcing it to everyone, non tech followers, would only damage the sales of their current model up the new models launch.

The only reason they would do this would be if say in January or February a BIG competitor was going to launch a competing product that would take sales away from Apple, then Apple would do a major announcement to spoil this competitors launch, and to get people to wait for the new Apple model.

As there is no other company doing this, Apple have no reason to.

12. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

13. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

When do you think ipad2 will be announced?
    Best guess.

14. geko29 macrumors 6502

If they're keeping the shipping date fairly close (which I agree is highly likely), there's no way the Keynote can be in early April. Last year's release was on April 3rd. If they hold exactly to last year (which of course is not guaranteed), that'd mean an April 2nd release date (1st Saturday), so realistically the latest they would hold the announcement is March 15th, to provide a 2-week lead time.

I'm hoping it'll be February, but mid-March is my guess.

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

Before June 2011

As mentioned elsewhere, it is highly unlikely they will announce much in advance of shipping since they have an existing device and wouldn't want to cannibalize sales of that device. The early announcement of the first gen version was different -- there was no ipad already on the market so they stood only to gain from the media attention.

Generally speaking, you announce a device early if you want to create anticipation in your favor and/or dissuade consumers from buying a competing device that is already on the market. With the first gen continuing to sell well and no solid competitor out there, there's no advantage to announcing early.

16. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'd think it would be well before June, that's the usual time for iPhone updates.

17. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

It's a tricky one. Either next week after CES to steal the limelight, or Mid to Late February.

MacBook Pros in January sometime though.

18. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Take a look at when the first iPhone was announced and released vs when the following iPhones were announced and released.

I say that same pattern should be expected with the iPad. Last January, apple was announcing a new product in the iPad. It needed momentum before the actual release. The iPad has all the momentum it needs now. No need to announce iPad2 way ahead of time like last year.

But.....you never know.

19. PCClone macrumors 6502a

Who cares about the iPad2

I want to know when the truly magical iPad 10 will come out. I heard it will run the new unicorn OS.

20. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Heck no...
    A lot of people bought iPad for christmas and they will all return their iPads. Those of people who bought iPad with American Express card have like 90 days to return their products and they will get their money back as well. No iPad 2 announcement until march or April. Apple will announce it March and start shipping in April. Wait 2 more months.

21. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

22. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

I don't disagree it might be February (or maybe March but I doubt it) for a new iPad to be announced I disagree that Apple is worried about it stealing thunder from a Verizon iPhone announcement, in fact I bet they are announced at the SAME TIME. Steve is going to want to do a keynote and it appears the Verizon iPhone will be very, very similar to the iPhone 4 (with new true next gen iPhones due for both AT&T and Verizon later this summer) so having the iPad 2 to make the keynote more exciting will be useful.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

24. Squadleader macrumors regular

I hear it was gonna run the new Muddy Water i91/2 chip.....:eek: