Do you have a methodology when it comes to organizing apps?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Dulcimer, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

I'm always trying to organize my homescreen apps based on type, frequency of use, etc. but I'm never satisfied with the end result (I'm not very creative).

Do you have a unique layout or organization system for arranging apps?

2. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

Games go in the gamer folder, regular apps are in folders labeled "Apps, Apps II, Apps III etc", All of the stock Apple apps I don't use go in the "Apple" folder. Simple but efficient.

3. Abazigal, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Tried a few styles, currently most comfortable with this.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364608808.179751.jpg

Felt that tapping on folders would be more efficient than swiping between screens at any rate.

4. Dulcimer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

Whoa. Love the background, and I never considered putting all of my apps on a single page. Nice, but I probably wouldn't go for only one page. Maybe two or three. Thanks for the inspiration!

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

To add on to my earlier post,

I am using launch center as a shortcut to make calls and compose quick messages (sometimes launch with siri, but it is still not very accurate in terms of identifying asian names), so I am not bothered with my phone/message app being tucked away in a folder.

Incoming notifications are accessed via the notifications menu, so I rarely ever go directly from the app itself. :)

6. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

Here's my home screen (first page).

Attached Files:

7. irDigital0l Guest

Home Screen - Pretty much Apple default, minor changes
    Page 1 - Folders with apps (Social, News, Productivity, Education, Utilities, etc.)
    Page 2 - Folders with games (Casual, Strategy, Puzzle, RPG, etc.)

That is all.

8. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

Then I organize the apps by sequels (ex. temple run 2 next to temple ) and no border games go together if the app icon has a border it go's last then I organize the border size.

9. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

My home screen is default, then the next screen contains my favorite apps, the following screen contains my next most favorite apps and so on. Within each screen, apps are alphabetically ordered (except home). I only use a few folders to group apps like News, Music & Games.

10. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

Heh, I've been through so many phases of keeping my home screen organised.

Sometimes I keep default icons in their default places, but every app I download afterwards is placed in alphabetical order. Other times I put things in folders according to category and I have a folder called others for the ones that don't match any category. If I jailbreak, I usually have a single folder that stores all jailbreak apps. I'm always trying to make things as tidy and organised as possible. I do all of this with my files on OS X and Windows as well. I probably have OCD. :D

11. clauzzz203 macrumors regular

"Reset Home Screen Layout" in Settings. Puts Apple apps on front page and the rest alphabetically. Love it :D

----------

Can you post the wallpaper please?

12. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

As others: many folders, even on the dock I have mostly folders.

Less used and never used apps gets placed on second screens; again lots folders.

And I also throw away apps I don't use anymore; if I change my mind I can redownload. that's also help to manage ;)

13. TechiEmmanuel, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013

TechiEmmanuel macrumors regular

TechiEmmanuel

Do you have a methodology when it comes to organizing apps?

[​IMG]

This is my home screen. I have everything organized by category. I have tweaks and themes, but I need to redownload them. All I have now are DeepEnd, Five Icon Dock, and Cascade.

14. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

My favourite apps are on each home screen...most used closer to home screen 1. Other apps are organised by folder, with two folders on each home page..again, most used folders closer to home screen 1. Always been like this. Folders in centre on each page for symmetry...like so!

Attached Files:

15. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

Most of the time I one-hand the phone, so I started placing my most used apps along my thumb arc on each page. That helps avoid the long reach for stuff I use the most on ip5. It looks a little odd on the screen, but it's surprisingly effective.

Next group of most used goes in the next ring out from my arc and so on. As a lefty, my least used apps on each page wind up to the top and right of my thumb arc, and the bottom left.

The apps I generally need quickly/frequently go directly on the thumb arc on the home page: Camera, Shazaam, Settings, and the Craftsman Garage Door Opener. :)

16. Dulcimer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

That's smart. I could put Apps like Settings and Clear closer to the bottom near my thumb arc. Sounds like a lot of planning, though!

----------

I've considered putting virtually all of my apps in folders, but don't like how it requires two taps to access apps. Kind of disrupts the 'flow,' if that makes and sense :p

17. Lioncrazz, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013

Lioncrazz macrumors member

Here is the current setup I am rocking. I like having all of my apps right on one page so that they are always at my fingertips. I just changed it to this layout. I almost have it perfected.

Attached Files:

18. white4s macrumors 65816

good ol abc order. the only folders i have are for the factory apps

19. sagar4995 macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

here's my setup...

Attached Files:

• hs1.PNG
      hs1.PNG
      File size:
      293.5 KB
      Views:
    • hs2.PNG
      hs2.PNG
      File size:
      233.1 KB
      Views:
  20. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

I'm in.

And in case your wondering, yes I am.

Attached Files:

21. sagar4995 macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

hahaha... very innovative. can't say ive seen this setup before! :)

22. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

For me personally, I remember app colors and what they look like visually more than the folder they're in. And the freq used ones are the top row and springboard.

23. Hail Caesar macrumors regular

No folders, but I do keep like Apps bunched together.

24. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

Don't like folders.... on the main dock mail, call safari and music... main page messages, wattsup and most used apps... no need of camera app in a main position because I always swipe into from the locked screen....

25. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

This methodology with a slight twist. My second page houses apps I use less frequently than those on the first page, organized by type (without using folders), and the third page houses apps I rarely use and are all in folders.