Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
I'm always trying to organize my homescreen apps based on type, frequency of use, etc. but I'm never satisfied with the end result (I'm not very creative).

Do you have a unique layout or organization system for arranging apps?

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Games go in the gamer folder, regular apps are in folders labeled "Apps, Apps II, Apps III etc", All of the stock Apple apps I don't use go in the "Apple" folder. Simple but efficient.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Tried a few styles, currently most comfortable with this.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21364608808.179751.jpg

Felt that tapping on folders would be more efficient than swiping between screens at any rate.

Last edited:

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Tried a few styles, currently most comfortable with this.
View attachment 405273

Felt that tapping on folders would be more efficient than swiping between screens at any rate.

Whoa. Love the background, and I never considered putting all of my apps on a single page. Nice, but I probably wouldn't go for only one page. Maybe two or three. Thanks for the inspiration!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
To add on to my earlier post,

I am using launch center as a shortcut to make calls and compose quick messages (sometimes launch with siri, but it is still not very accurate in terms of identifying asian names), so I am not bothered with my phone/message app being tucked away in a folder.

Incoming notifications are accessed via the notifications menu, so I rarely ever go directly from the app itself. :)

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Home Screen - Pretty much Apple default, minor changes
Page 1 - Folders with apps (Social, News, Productivity, Education, Utilities, etc.)
Page 2 - Folders with games (Casual, Strategy, Puzzle, RPG, etc.)

That is all.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Then I organize the apps by sequels (ex. temple run 2 next to temple ) and no border games go together if the app icon has a border it go's last then I organize the border size.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
My home screen is default, then the next screen contains my favorite apps, the following screen contains my next most favorite apps and so on. Within each screen, apps are alphabetically ordered (except home). I only use a few folders to group apps like News, Music & Games.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Heh, I've been through so many phases of keeping my home screen organised.

Sometimes I keep default icons in their default places, but every app I download afterwards is placed in alphabetical order. Other times I put things in folders according to category and I have a folder called others for the ones that don't match any category. If I jailbreak, I usually have a single folder that stores all jailbreak apps. I'm always trying to make things as tidy and organised as possible. I do all of this with my files on OS X and Windows as well. I probably have OCD. :D

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
As others: many folders, even on the dock I have mostly folders.

Less used and never used apps gets placed on second screens; again lots folders.

And I also throw away apps I don't use anymore; if I change my mind I can redownload. that's also help to manage ;)

TechiEmmanuel

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2013
Northern Virginia
Do you have a methodology when it comes to organizing apps?

una6ahen.jpg

This is my home screen. I have everything organized by category. I have tweaks and themes, but I need to redownload them. All I have now are DeepEnd, Five Icon Dock, and Cascade.

Last edited:

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
My favourite apps are on each home screen...most used closer to home screen 1. Other apps are organised by folder, with two folders on each home page..again, most used folders closer to home screen 1. Always been like this. Folders in centre on each page for symmetry...like so!

Attachments

• IMG_0290.PNG
    IMG_0290.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0291.PNG
    IMG_0291.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0292.PNG
    IMG_0292.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 247

jmxp69

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
Most of the time I one-hand the phone, so I started placing my most used apps along my thumb arc on each page. That helps avoid the long reach for stuff I use the most on ip5. It looks a little odd on the screen, but it's surprisingly effective.

Next group of most used goes in the next ring out from my arc and so on. As a lefty, my least used apps on each page wind up to the top and right of my thumb arc, and the bottom left.

The apps I generally need quickly/frequently go directly on the thumb arc on the home page: Camera, Shazaam, Settings, and the Craftsman Garage Door Opener. :)

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Most of the time I one-hand the phone, so I started placing my most used apps along my thumb arc on each page. That helps avoid the long reach for stuff I use the most on ip5. It looks a little odd on the screen, but it's surprisingly effective.

Next group of most used goes in the next ring out from my arc and so on. As a lefty, my least used apps on each page wind up to the top and right of my thumb arc, and the bottom left.

The apps I generally need quickly/frequently go directly on the thumb arc on the home page: Camera, Shazaam, Settings, and the Craftsman Garage Door Opener. :)

That's smart. I could put Apps like Settings and Clear closer to the bottom near my thumb arc. Sounds like a lot of planning, though!

----------

As others: many folders, even on the dock I have mostly folders.

Less used and never used apps gets placed on second screens; again lots folders.

I've considered putting virtually all of my apps in folders, but don't like how it requires two taps to access apps. Kind of disrupts the 'flow,' if that makes and sense :p

Lioncrazz

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2009
Here is the current setup I am rocking. I like having all of my apps right on one page so that they are always at my fingertips. I just changed it to this layout. I almost have it perfected.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
I'm in.

And in case your wondering, yes I am.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 272

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
hahaha... very innovative. can't say ive seen this setup before! :)

For me personally, I remember app colors and what they look like visually more than the folder they're in. And the freq used ones are the top row and springboard.

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
Don't like folders.... on the main dock mail, call safari and music... main page messages, wattsup and most used apps... no need of camera app in a main position because I always swipe into from the locked screen....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.