Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
Let me preface my answer with the statement that I have never been nor do I plan to spend any time in the custody of law enforcement.

One major additional reason to passcode lock you phone! If you're involved in a accident the police can now check your phone for use prior to the wreck.(Depending on your state) If you are arrested they can go through your phone while taking inventory of personal belongings, who knows what (or who) they turn up.

You cannot be compelled to unlock the phone to allow them access to the data. Just one more reason to keep it locked.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I don't use a passcode because no one uses my phone unless I let them. I wouldn't like typing something in every time just to read a text message, for example.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Don't use one myself. Just seems really annoying. My phone is always on my person and I rarely let anyone use it.

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I have one but I only need to enter it when it sits idle for an hour+. It gets annoying to have to enter it all the time. I only live with one roommate who I don't care if he looks through my phone...

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Never use one. All sensitive info is kept encrypted with CallPod Keeper that works on all platforms and syncs.

Hate password locked devices.

If I loose my iPhone 4S it is gone. I would just replace it.

I also do not leave my phone anywhere. Unless I am in the shower of bed, it in on me without out exception

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
It's really simple if you think about it. I don't go anywhere without 3 things; my car keys, my wallet, and my phone. 90% of the time if i'm out the phone is in my pocket.

Well, let's see. Some one could rob you. Some one could come in your house and steal it when it's there. It can fall out of your pocket. You could take it out and forget to put it back in (yes, you are human).

Point is, it's foolish to think that you never will lose your phone. Most likely won't? Yeah. But never say never.

That being said, it's not like I passcode my phone either. But honestly the only really bad info on it that people could get already is in encryption (one of those wallet programs) and I have find my iphone activated so if I think it's gone I can easily wipe or lock it. I'd be more upset about losing my phone.

EmbraceTheOne

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2011
No.

Constantly entering the code over and over again is a pain. If I'm sitting at home I don't need a passcode.

penfan82

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
No I tried it and it got annoying maybe i know I could lose it however I keep my phone pretty close to me haven't lost one yet so I'll take that chance

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
15 minutes here..

i think it would be cool for the iPhone to use location services for the passcode. you designate certain area(s) where you DON'T need a passcode (your house). if you are outside of this area, you need a passcode.

of course, if you lose your phone you can log into find my iPhone and turn off location services just incase the thief happens to be in your area.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yep, I use a passcode. I always know where my phone is, but there may be a time that crap happens and I lose it. Too much personal information or access to it available on there.

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
at one point i tried using the "complex" passcode for a month or so, and that can get annoying.....especially if you're trying to enter your phone quickly.

but yes, i agree with the simple passcode with a 5 minute auto-lock. although i haven't seen too many people use the erase data feature.

iF0X

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
Lithuania, Vilnius
No, because passcode is annoying.
And if you want to potect your phone from theves, it will not work if your iDevice is JailBroken. It is rather easy to access your files and delete passcode.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I do because of my personal data and friends. Something happens to my phone, they have my family and friends info. All those email addresses they can spam. They would also have access to my email a lot of banking, shopping and my iTunes are connected to it.
I am shocked at the people who don't have a pass code. Don't you care about people having access to your info? Accidents happen, and it takes 1 accident for someone to get your email access and what if you're out and no computer access to change your email pass code?
I do wish Apple would make a separate pass code for "Find My iPhone" because anyone who knows how to shut it off can easy do so if they find one.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Passcodes are like backups. People say they don't need it for one reason or another, then all of a sudden - bam - something happens and they make damn sure to have a passcode on the next device they buy.

If you don't want to use a passcode - don't. But don't be a fool and claim you don't have to because you'd never lose your phone. That's just ignorant and makes you look like an idiot.

I haven't lost a cellphone yet, and it's been almost 20 years since I got my first one, but you'd never find me deactivating the passcode.

Oh, by the way, I also lock my door because I don't wan't to be robbed, despite the fact that I've never ever had anyone breaking in to my house. I also keep smoke detectors despite never having had a fire, and so on...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.