Do you have a PASSCODE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EarthNeutron, Jan 20, 2012.

1. EarthNeutron macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

I do but I wish I didn't cause it just causes me trouble. From errors while syncing with iTunes to wasting time unlocking it.

2. kingdLo macrumors 6502

I don't, but I also know where my phone is at all times. If I'm out somewhere and I think I could be at risk of losing it i'll put one on and turn on find my iphone just in case.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

That's pretty silly. :confused:

What if you don't think you are at risk and you lose it? :eek:

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

5. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Absolutely. There's way too much important information on my phone to not have one. I'm curious, how does having a passcode turned on cause problems when you're syncing your phone?

7. edk99 macrumors 6502a

ALWAYS have a passcode on my phone. I accidentally left my phone on top of my car when I got gas and it fell off when I left the gas station. I did not realize I lost it till 1/2 hr later when I needed to use it. Ended up using a friends phone to call my phone and someone answered it and was kind enough to return it to me. Luckily I got it back but knowing that I had a passcode on it makes it well worth the 2 seconds it takes to unlock it.

8. EarthNeutron thread starter macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

Well I always get an error that iTunes lost connection to my iPhone, when it's syncing and locked. So I have to unlock it/disable the passcode to sync it wirelessly

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I do, but have it to lock after 5 minutes so I don't have to be constantly entering it

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Same. 5 minutes is the sweet spot.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It causes me trouble to lose a device that has a lot of personal info on it. At least a passcode will delay getting into it hopefully long enough for me to do a remote data wipe.

12. cynics macrumors G4

I have mine lock in 15 minutes. My thought is by the time I lose it or it's stolen 15 minutes will have elapsed. And it doesn't bug me when I'm using it.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yep, I have one, and I'm also forced to have one. My company requires the use if I want to access the exchange servers for my work email.

14. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Cause you know, people plan on losing their phone or know when they are going to lose it ;).

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Absolutely. I'm not interesting in sharing my data. Feel free to do whatever works for you.

16. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I have a passcode and have never had to unlock it for it to sync with iTunes.

17. chrisvee macrumors regular

Non-Simple passcode with 5 minutes before auto-lock here! No problems syncing or anything.

18. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Only when I leave the house. Set to one minute though instant is safer as if someone gets it they can just keep playing with it if within the minute.
    wish it would auto lock when I leave the house, and stay unlocked when I return home and unlock it. ie be able to set up safe areas using the gps or even better wifi routers.

19. kingdLo macrumors 6502

It's really simple if you think about it. I don't go anywhere without 3 things; my car keys, my wallet, and my phone. 90% of the time if i'm out the phone is in my pocket.

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

No passcode here.
    Slide to unlock and that's it. :D

21. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Same here. We use Google Apps for Education for our work email, and we're forced to have a passcode longer than the standard 4-digit code in order for the mail client to connect to Google's servers. But even before that rule went into effect, I had a 4-digit code, because I keep too much information on this thing for just anyone to have access to.

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Same here. I don't necessarily like it, but I'm getting over it.

----------

what about that other 10%?! :)

23. haleigh macrumors member

i do! i have the auto-lock set for 2 minutes though, it's easier for when i'm texting someone :)

24. MrKennedy macrumors member

I don't have one set. It's beyond annoying having to type those 4 digits every time I want to use my iPhone.

I get that I'm taking the risk of having my personal data compromised if my phone is stolen, but I've always been very good about keeping my personal effects close by.

25. nutmac macrumors 68040

I use it for 2 reasons:
    1. My company's Exchange server forces 1-hour (or less) passcode.
    2. Find My Friends. Without passcode, Find My Friends app requires iCloud password entry after short period of inactivity. Not so with passcode.
    My only quibble with passcode is slide to unlock. If you have a passcode set and your device is in a lockdown, it shouldn't require slide to unlock gesture.