Do you keep a back-up iPhone "just in case"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Mar 5, 2011.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

OCD? Yeah, I've been accused of having a dusting of it but even so, I keep a back up iPhone locked and loaded and ready to go at a moment's notice should the need arise.

If my primary iPhone is ever stolen or lost or broken or what-have-you I have one on stand-by as I can't imagine going a day or more without my iPhone.

Do you have a backup and if so, which model?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

No, no backup here. I only have 1 iPhone (so far ;) )

I'm pretty careful with my stuff, so I'm hoping I won't lose it. If I did lose it, its not like I couldn't go on without my iPhone ... but I'd be very concerned with all the accounts with automatic log in, pictures, numbers, etc. (unless that person was planning on hitting restore in iTunes anyways).

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No back up iPhone for me. I still have my previous phone, a Motorola Q9h running Windows Mobile 6.1. I take the sim out of my iPhone 4 and put it in the Motorola when I go snowboarding.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Not specifically for backup, but I do keep my old iPhones. Came in handy a couple months ago when my 4 was stolen.

5. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

iPhone 4 is my first, though I still have my old blackberry and Sony w810i.

I swap my sim into my w810i for my long bike rides on the weekend. It still works great as a media player, and I can take calls handsfree while on the road.

6. studmule macrumors regular

My 3GS is on stand by, along with a microsim adapter. I've given away the first gen iPhone and the 3G, but I'm gonna hang on to the 3GS.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No. I have my 3GS and it works great. If it dies, then I will get a new iPhone.

8. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

I have my Nokia 9300 as a backup phone if something goes wrong. Also a very capable phone albeit quite a brick. ;)

9. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

No backup iPhone, but I do have a backup phone.

10. Annerz macrumors regular

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I guess I don't have the resources to keep a second phone sitting around as "backup" If my iPhone 4 dies, I need to get a replacement ASAP.

12. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

No need for me. If it breaks and still under warranty I won't have a problem and if it's out of warranty there are so many people selling one that it won't be a problem getting one the next day.

13. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I have held off in selling my 3GS for the purpose of having a backup, but now that iPhone 5 is getting closer i might just sell it.

14. Stein357 macrumors 6502

No, I'm really careful with my phones though. If it ever came down to it I'd probably just buy an old 3G one on eBay.

15. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

16. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

+1

Really, how much money do you guys have? : )

17. libertysat macrumors regular

I kept my Moto Droid so I could switch over should extreme situation require
    Hey, it is a decent phone, just not as refined as my iPhone

btw
    I also use my Droid couple times every week for work for a couple of apps that are either not available on iPhone or are fairly expensive to buy again - they still work using the gps, wireless and compass even though it can't connect to Verizon

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Like I said, I just kept my previous phone. It was an almost 2 year old Motorola Q9h which probably wouldn't have sold for very much. And with a microsim adapter it comes in handy when I go snowboarding and don't want to risk my iPhone 4.

19. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

I have a cheap iPhone 2G that I got off of Craigslist that I use to take overseas.

20. infidel69 macrumors regular

I have an iphone 4, 3GS, HTC Aria and an Atrix 4G so I always have something to fall back on. The Atrix is my new daily driver. That is until the iphone 5 comes this summer.:)

21. Geffen macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E128 Safari/6533.18.5)

No backup iPhone here, I purchased my iPhone 4 at the $199 price point I don't feel the need to spend $649 more for second one to have sit unused.

22. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I have 4 backup phones. The original iPhone, iPhone 3G, and 2 iPhone 3GS's (Black & White).

My iPhone 4 works great though so I doubt ill ever need to use any of them.

23. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

As much as I love the iPhone - I don't see how 'I couldn't live with out it'.

Pretty much the only things I would lose are:

I couldn't take pictures
    View my calendar
    Use GPS
    I couldn't tweet
    I couldn't update my facebook status

If I lost my iPhone today, I would probably get an AT&T loaner, which could still tweet and facebook, and I could just check my calendar on my MacBook - which I always have with me. Getting directions wouldn't be that bad, and I think I could live without the camera which has lower quality than a $100 point and shoot.

With that being said - I'd be pissed, but I wouldn't "die". What do you REALLY need the backup for?

24. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

If something ever happens to my iPhone i have a Blackberry 3G Curve just waiting for something to occur to my iPhone

25. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

No backup for me. I think holding a backup would be a waste. I rather sell it and get the money for it.