Do you know somebody else who will be getting Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Night Spring, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Considering that Apple Watch has these special communication modes you can do watch-to-watch, do you know other people who plan on getting a watch, and if so, do you plan on using any of the watch-to-watch communications? Heartbeat? Animated emoji? Sketches? I think we can tap on the watch and the other person can feel the taps, am I right? Any other watch-to-watch communication modes I'm missing?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Great if you know morse code! I'm pretty sure I won't be getting it, but it reminds me of when I got my iPhone 4. I only knew one other guy who I could FaceTime with!

3. cleirac macrumors 6502

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't even know somebody, let alone somebody else :p

5. Apple fanboy, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015

Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

You must know nobody then? But I don't think he'll be getting one!:D

6. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Actually I want to get the wife one but 1. She says she does not wear one anymore and 2. She thinks it costs to much.

But ya I want to use those cool watch to watch features with her.

7. cleirac macrumors 6502

Once she experience with you the cool AW to AW communications she will be gifting her girlfriends who have iPhones with AWs. :D

8. troop231 macrumors 603

Finally we can 'tap' multiple hoe$ at once :p

9. DC Wallaby macrumors regular

I know plenty of people who've expressed interest (most of whom do not own an iPhone, and have no desire to switch for whatever reason), and plenty of people who've said "My next fitness tracker (or watch) purchase will likely be an Apple Watch," but nobody who is actively planning to purchase one upon release.

I mean, even I am not sure if I'm buying it upon release. But of my friends and family, I'm the only one I'm aware of who is actively exploring the possibility and setting money aside for it.

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Nope, no one.

I asked a few people I work with, and most of them knew almost nothing about it, or any smart watch.

One guy is into watches, but he despises Apple so that's out the window.

Outside of the tech people, as I say, speaking to, ahem, normal people, I'm not getting any feeling of interest whatsoever for any smart watch.

----------

I would like a Smart Watch, but not yet, and not this one.

In time, one that would be more useful may find its way onto my wrist :)

Moto 360 version 3 perhaps :D

My only fear.
    Actually my BIGGEST fear about the Apple watch is Apple itself.

Looking at the iPhone and the iPad.
    Apple these days, unlike years ago, moves at the speed of a sleeping Elephant when it comes to bold new changes and new idea and exciting things.

My fear, as someone who does not feel the Apple watch ticks my box's enough is that, like the iPhone and iPad, Apple are going to not bother trying anything new for many many many years.
    they will fiddle, tweek, adjust and shave it here and there, but that's it.

I would LOVE to see Apple make an interesting range of different models, but I suspect that won't happen.

Other brands from elsewhere, will probably be the place to look for in the future for more interesting ideas and changes and options.

I hope I'm wrong, but as I said, Apple seems to sink into quicksand and just wiggle a bit each year.

Which personally I find a shame, as years ago there were really interesting and exciting product changes and variations all the time.

11. Night Spring thread starter macrumors G5

Night Spring

Do you have specific examples of how Apple moved faster in the past? Are you talking about what it did with iPod, iMac, or maybe the original Macintosh?

BTW, I don't know anyone who is planning to get the watch, either. I'd like to get my partner one, but I'm afraid he'll just forget to wear it. :rolleyes:

12. camtechman56 macrumors regular

I also don't know anyone who wants one. the people I work with think it is a waste of money. they have phones, mostly android and a couple with Iphones, but to put $350 and higher into a watch they think is absurd! I work in a steel mill and they don't think it will last much more than a month or so, but I want one; so I will get one and make or buy a protective cover for it while I'm at work.

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

No. No ones knows what it is. And when I tell them they seem to not really care much for it.

14. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I'm actually buying one for a friend in addition to mine. I also might buy another for another friend.

I do however, know two people who will buy one without my assistance.

15. Night Spring thread starter macrumors G5

Night Spring

Finally! :D

So have you thought much about whether you might use watch-specific communication methods with your friends?

16. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Honestly, I'm not sure how it will play out. I have a coworker who intends to buy the Apple Watch. We'll see how it goes, when I need his attention or what we can get away with in meetings.

I think I'll mostly use doodles though with my friends. If we're close enough, the walkie talkie feature.

17. ksuyen macrumors 6502a

ksuyen

Yes, me and my partner will use one each. The Heptic communication is perfect for couple who don't use much verbal/written communication these days, just an occasionally 'hey' nudges every hours or so are sufficient. Besides we will see each other again every evening after works.

And yeah, we plan to use: hearbeat, sketches, emojis, all kind of "non-text" quick long distance communications. I think we wouldn't be able to live without it anymore, once that became a habit.

18. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Nope, I'm the only one. Most of my friends think I am a moron for buying it, but I don't really care lol. Plus I only have 1 friend that has an iPhone that is compatible with the Apple Watch. Basically anyone outside of the tech community knows nothing about it, so I doubt we will see many people that have it for the first few generations at least.

19. mostro900 macrumors member

that's where you need to convince on the Health/Fitness side of things - she may be thinking it's just a watch ?! That's going to be my angle anyway! I'll be paying for it anyway....:D

20. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Haha they will care a lot after they see you walking around with a touch screen watch that you receive notifications on, text from, tweet from, receive calls from, and do so much more. Even with my Pebble, some people are completely WOWED when they see it, even though it just receives notifications. I've even been asked if it is the Apple Watch 2-3 times :)

21. Sharkey311 Suspended

I know at least 5 of my friends are getting one.

22. Che Castro macrumors 603

the first time i started seeing iphones everywhere was when apple made the iphone 4 free on 2 year contract

23. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

This thread bodes well for supply at launch..! ;)

24. tom2517 macrumors member

I can count at least 15 of my friends will be getting one, I've got lots of Apple fans as friends, lol. Some of us buys every generation of iphones (including me).