Do you leave 3G on?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bowlerguy10, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

Do you ever disable 3G other than when your using WiFi?

2. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

i leave them all on. i dont manually turn off either.

3. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

4. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

I leave 3g, Wifi and location services on all the time and I work in a town with no 3g service. I leave bluetooth off because I don't use it.

I rarely get below 50% battery by the time I go to bed. I plug in every night.

Steve

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I turn wi-fi on at home and off all other times.

I never turn 3G off.

It's a matter of forgetting: it's going to happen from time to time. Now, if I forget to turn wi-fi the correct way, well...eh. No big deal.

But if I forget and leave 3G off at the wrong time I end up with EDGE. Ugh. Not worth it, so I leave 3G on all the time.

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

If I'm home I have 3G off and WiFi on. If I'm out I have 3G on and WiFi off.

7. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

I always leave 3G on, 600 $ phone...you get it, wi-fi always off though...

8. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

I always leave my 3G on, as well as my WiFi - although I have it set to only automatically connect to certain networks and to not pop up the annoying dialog box, so occasionally I forget it's turned on.

In any event, I keep location services/push/fetch/bluetooth turned off since I don't really need them 24'7. Calgary is completely 3G though so I never have to worry about switching to Edge and losing battery life.

9. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

10. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I usually leave both 3G and Wi-Fi turned on, too. In fact, I see no reason to turn 3G off. That would cause an awfully slow Internet connection when Wi-Fi is not available, wouldn't it?

11. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Only Wi-Fi on, I don't have a data plan so I don't need 3G.

12. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

13. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I used to switch 3G off just for the battery life. But then they came out with all those updates I figured that 1 of them had to deal with the battery life when the phone is on 3G so I leave it on all the time now with wi-fi and bluetooth off.

James

14. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

I keep everything on all the time. The only exception is that when I travel for business, I sometimes disable 3G is the local 3G service/signal is weak or nonexistant. Otherwise, it never seems to make an EDGE connection.

15. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

3G - Always on.
    WiFi - Always on.
    Location - Only on when I'm using it.

My battery lasts all day, that's all I need.

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I leave 3G and wifi on all the time. It used to bother me, but then I realized that it doesn't really use all that much battery for what I do. I charge at night anyway... no harm.

Wifi, 3G and Bluetooth are always on for me and it makes it well through a day. In fact, it's a rare occasion for me to go below 50% because it charges in my car when I'm listening to tunes too.

17. Sysbase macrumors member

Sysbase

18. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Typically, I leave 3G and WiFi ON all the time. My battery falls to 10% every night by 9pm.

Lately, I've been switching 3G OFF and using WiFi for a bunch of Apps. The battery is barely drained maybe 80% by night.

19. davyreins macrumors 6502

I always have 3g on and only have wifi on in my house if I'm downloading something

20. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I just leave 3G on... and Wifi off.... in my area my 3G is only slightly slower then Wifi so its not that big of a deal.... plus I have 6GB of data a month.... so its not like I have to worry about data usage

21. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

For me 3G is always on, as is WiFi. Location Services and Bluetooth are always off. I've never used the bluetooth before, don't even know if it works!(I'm sure it does:rolleyes:). Location services I turn on every once and awhile when I use the Maps app. Push is off and fetch is on either 15 or 30mins, I cant remember what its set at now. I used to always have 3G off because I had LOTS of dropped calls when on 3G, the phone was pretty much unusable. I tried keeping 3G on probably about 2 months ago and either AT&T improved the 3G in my area(Phoenix) or Apple's updates actually fixed it. I've had 1 or 2 dropped calls since its been on.

22. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I leave it 3G on as well, very good coverage here in the Northwest.

23. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

All the time. My area has great coverage and I typically don't have any issues. :)

WiFi is another story. I use WiFi at home and at other places where I can connect easily. However, I typically turn it off when I go into stores because I have found that even when it shows you are successfully connected, Safari is automatically redirected to some sort of homepage for the store's network. It asks me to create a free login username+password and will generally ask me to fill out some sort of survey about the store/restaurant/etc., how I plan to use their WiFi network, whether I knew they had a WiFi network, and how their having WiFi will affect the frequency of my visits. Now I have no problem with companies advertising themselves, but it sort of annoys me that I have to fill out one of their surveys EVERY SINGLE TIME I try to connect to their WiFi, so I generally keep it off. So there you go; probably more than you wanted to here, but I felt like sharing my story. :)

Anyone ever experience anything similar to this????? :confused: ^^^^^

24. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Absolutely. No need to switch it off, it won't save THAT much extra battery.

25. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

I leave my wifi and 3G on at all times, so yes.