Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like your job?

• Yes

Votes: 67 72.8%
  • No

Votes: 25 27.2%

• Total voters

thebassoonist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Davis, CA
I'm wondering if you like your job, what you do, and what you like most about your job!

I'm not talking about liking it every day, but just overall liking what you do.

JNB

macrumors 604
I'd have to say yes. I work independently from home (bedroom to office: 3 feet), travel extensively (some say excessively), don't get locked into any particular routine, have some pretty good bosses, and receive a minimum of BS in general.

I get to spend most of my non-travel days trolling MR, so how bad can it be? ;)

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Shouldn't this be a poll? :)

I do like my job. I'm a Nationwide Insurance Agent. I know, exciting. But it allows me to meet new people every day and I get paid to establish relationships with (mostly) great people!

Plus I set my own schedule and am not locked down to a desk all day. :)

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
Overall I like my job a lot.

I work for a school district doing computer maintenance, service and repair along with running sound at school board meetings, township meetings, and a special security project involving emergency response.

This is the school district I graduated from and I am going on my 4th year now, but first year as a full fledged technician.

I like working on the Mac's and working alone on 2nd shift. It really suits me well, though recently with a boss turnover its been kinda rough since it has taken several months to get a new boss.

My problem was that I got promoted into this position to early. I am only 20 and a full time student as well. I do not have much of a life, but honestly I would not either way because I was a loser before anyway.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I actually do. I've found for me it's not where I work but who I work with that makes the most difference. I'm blessed to have great people around me all day making me laugh and making the day go by quickly.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
I actually do. I've found for me it's not where I work but who I work with that makes the most difference. I'm blessed to have great people around me all day making me laugh and making the day go by quickly.

I have to agree that it is the people that make the job good more so than the job itself.

This comes from me while working part-time at UPS as a sorter on the midnight shift. If it wasn't for having friends at work that can joke and have fun while still knowing how to get the job done, I would have been looking for a new job a year ago.

thebassoonist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Davis, CA
Shouldn't this be a poll? :)

I do like my job. I'm a Nationwide Insurance Agent. I know, exciting. But it allows me to meet new people every day and I get paid to establish relationships with (mostly) great people!

Plus I set my own schedule and am not locked down to a desk all day. :)

I just figured out how to make a poll! Sweet.

It's nice to read that people like their jobs. My family seems to despise their work, and I've been needing a little positive energy.

I'm currently a full-time student, but have TA-ed in the past. I really like reading papers (grading tests, eh, not so much) and the money. And working alongside brilliant people is fantastic. And, if being a student is a job, I love it. I like taking classes and studying. :)

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
In general I do, most weeks I have an interesting bunch of students on my course. Of course some days either I'm not at my best or there are a bunch of morons on the course and it becomes a nightmare of a job.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
Yes, I like my job a lot. I work as a consultant and get to travel around the world working with clients. I love interacting with people of various cultures and backgrounds and different industries. Plus, I have several hundred thousand airline miles for future travel. :D

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
It's not a bad job...it pays decently enough...but it's not gonna be a career by any means

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
Overall, I like my job. Sure, there are "just those days" where you could run around screaming and rip people's heads off, but in the end, I still enjoy it. Guess that's because I do what I like and usually do out of the office as well (fixing computers and software problems), and I get paid for it as well. Best combination ever!

However, as soon as I find a job where I get paid to buy music and sort singles and albums, I'll quit my current job as fast as possible. :D

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Wow! What a fantastic service!

Yep, i work for a small government funded college in the UK, the skills i teach are of course basic and relevant to the students but when you see a older person smile because they can now switch on a computer,surf the www or type a letter etc and to see a kid with learning disabilities face light up because he/she's playing some game it sure warms the cockles of your heart

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I suppose so, I haven't worked heavily on my game in a month or so but I generally like adding new levels, making music and art for it. Just can't wait to get it finished so I can start earning proper money off it :eek:
I work my own hours from home and I only have to deal with another musician and occasionally an outsourced writer. It's incredibly dull really and not something I'm going to be doing much longer after my biggest project. Ideally I'd like to either work for a commercial studio or just be a college or university lecturer. Thems my goal.

GodofThunder

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2004
I love my job. I've got the coolest boss ever. I work for myself out of my garage. I wake up when I want and work the hours I want. Unless there is a tight deadline. I mold and cast toy prototypes. Mostly action figures and collectible statues. The cool thing is, a few of my clients are friends that I used to work with at another company. I hardly have to drive anywhere and it pays incredibly well.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I'm a video producer for a small city's government/public access studio.

My previous video job, I had no staff, minimal equipment, more responsibility and had to fight the bureaucracy for every little thing. The people weren't always nice, and I drove 22 miles each way every day.

This job, I'm part of a team of five, I have much better equipment, my boss has all the responsibility, and we get things done with minimal fuss. My boss and co-workers are great, and I drive two miles each way. The job is meaningful, and I got to learn a whole new skill, web design. I just revamped the city's web site.

Am I happy in my job? Hell yeah. :)

ruku

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2007
Yes or no, is that it? How about undecided. I started a new job about 3 months ago and spent the first month totally stressed out. The second month was a mixture of anxiety and a few good moments and the third month (besides being sick) went by with little drama and had a few good moments. I'm teaching English to Japanese kindergarten students. On a busy day I will teach 160 kids and on a slow day 3. I have spent most of my life being anxious around big groups of people and extraordinarily more so when I had to speak in front of them. I took the job because I was about to run out of time on a visa and wanted to stay with my girlfriend of 3 years and this was the first one that came along. I have had some moments of success and lots of affection from the kids. I'm also being rewarded by facing one of my greatest fears, public speaking. In general I do not enjoy my job but sometimes I have a good day and I ask myself if this is really the definition of enjoyment and I'm just too blind to see it.

Gray-Wolf

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2008
Pandora, Home Tree
I agree that another choice is needed. I have been doing this work, albeit different companies, for 25 years. Some things I like, and others I don't I love trouble shooting, but hate HVAC work.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
i have my life's work. some of it pays, some of it pays well, some of it does not pay at all. some of it is my design studio, some of it is working on personal projects, some of it is teaching, some of it is working on a book, some of it is just experimentation. some of it is research, some of it is travel, some of it is meeting other designers. some of it is museum visits, some of it is printing press visits. being a good designer is like being a cop - you are on the job 24-7 even if you are not actually "on the clock."

if you want to define that as a job, then yes, i love it :)

bandaros

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2008
L.A.
Currently a PA/Intern for a local production company in my city. The crew is small, but very fun to work with (I've only been there for two weeks and already I'm feeling really well-accepted).

I don't know if I'd do this kind of work for any lengthy period of time (thinking of getting into editing - more of a solo-type, myself), but I have to say it has been very fun so far. I like it.

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
I dislike one job, don't mind the other. I work at Sears part-time as a customer associate. While I don't mind the work and I work with people in my general age range, Sears is a terribly ran company. Worst part is the customers...if only they weren't there, I would be happy. I get good deals, more tools than I will ever use, have pretty much everything I need to furnish a house and I have gotten unbelievable deals on televisions.

As with the other job, I work as a student worker in computer labs at university of Cincinnati. Its low pay, but its fun and I learn stuff.

I also go to school. 5th year in college and only about a year and a half to go. Too much work and school leaves me with little free time, and that free time is spent playing video games and playing on computer still.

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Right now I'm at the point where my job has caused me stress and anxiety that the doctor has put me in medication. Now there's an answer.
Filemaker software development and training.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
The clients sometimes drive me mentai, and it can be ridiculously long hours at times, but on the whole it's quite rewarding so I'll give mine a big thumbs up :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.