Do you like your middle name(s)?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by conch575, Jul 15, 2009.

1. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

I don't like mine, it's Carmela. It is after my grandmother's first name. When I turn 18 I'm going to get rid of it! It's bad enough it's shown on my drivers license.

No offence if that's anyone's first name :p

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not to be a bitch but really? Your middle name is a namesake from your grandmother. Hopefully you love and respect her enough to keep it. It is, in fact, just your middle name.

3. conch575 thread starter macrumors 6502

conch575

Yeah but I just don't like it. It's going to have to be on everything because it's on my birth certificate. I never go by it in anything else so why should it be on my license, passport etc.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

My middle name is my mother's maiden name. Nothing too exciting, not bad either, though. :p

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The simple solution is just to ignore it. Most people wont know it, and people will call you what you want to be called.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Because it's a namesake. It's, in my opinion, a gift your parents gave you and your grandma to share. Sorry but it comes off as seriously disrespectful to me. Then again I am not your friend or family member to really have any authority on this.

7. Unibody5 macrumors member

Everyone's going to hate the name they have but aren't used to. Carmela sounds nice.

8. Xavier macrumors 68020

My middle name was my grandfathers name.

I feel, well, honored to have his name.

9. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I don't have a middle name. But I have a special first name. It sounds like a cartoon character's name. It's not named after it, it came out after I was born. I love it though. :D

10. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Eh. It's alright. Hate being named after a retarded starfish that befriends a sponge, though.

11. David G. macrumors 65816

Yes, I do like my middle name, John. It is the same as my fathers and I feel very lucky to have it. I ask you this though, OP. Do you like Birdie Lou as a first and middle name? Because that would be my Mother's. She has told me stories about how she was teased because of it when she was in grade school, but none of that ever phases her now. And nor should it. Nothing could ever make her want to change it, where's the dignity in that?

12. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

+1

Roque

13. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

I like my middle name more than I do my given name. Obviously my parents had to be huge Lord of the Rings/Hobbit fans or else they wouldn't have given me Lórien for a middle name

( I may have the accent wrong, forgive me if I do)

14. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

My middle name is my dad's first name and my first name is my dad's middle name. Perfect.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

My middle name is Thomas, my dads first name, which I'm extremely proud of. :)

16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I like my middle name - Michael. Nobody else in my family has it, except for my son (his middle name, too).

BTW, he was not "named after me," he and I have the same middle name purely by coincidence. My wife and I both thought that it sounded good with the first name we chose for him, but I didn't want to name him after anybody. After two months (this was before he was born), I finally relented and gave in, but only on the condition that he has that middle name only because it sounds good with his first name, and not because he was named after me.

17. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I didn't use to like any of my names, but I've come to terms with it and quite like them now.

My parents gave me good English names (my dad's very English), and they were careful also, they tell me, not to give me anything that loops below the line. I agree with them; I think it makes it look neater when it's written or typed.

Evan.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Mine is Laurence (yeah, spelled with a u, not w). I didn't like it when I was younger because it sounded like Lauren and too girly, but now it doesn't bother me. It was chosen from my dad's mother or grandmother (I can't remember which, I feel like an idiot), whos name started with an L (Leah I think? Yeah, definitely feel like an idiot)

I unofficially have a second middle name, it's on my birth certificate, but not on my drivers license or passport, it's my mom's maiden name. She chose it because her mother and father had 3 girls and he always wanted a boy, and had he not died before I was born, I would've been his first grandson, so it was her way of remembering him.

What's the big deal? I never look at my passport or drivers license, the only people who do look at it couldn't give a damn what my middle name is.

19. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Sorry, I agree with this ^^ why can't you just ignore it. Use the middle initial on documents. Did you not know your grandmother so there is no connection to the person or namesake? Disrespectful, just sayin'.

So lets say you follow through with it-what's the middle name that tops your given one?

20. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Yes .. that's why I had my name changed and moved it from middle to first.

21. MacVixen macrumors 6502

I don't particularly care for my middle name - Anne. It's not after anyone in my family and *IMO* Anne is rather boring - it's the fallback middle name that every parent gives their daughter. *shrug* such is life. At this point it's part of me. I couldn't imagine dropping it.

I rather like my first name though which is after my father who is named after his mother. I somewhat followed tradition by having my son's middle name be the male version of my first name :)

22. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    My middle name is "Scott", I like it. All of my names have double letters. I don't know if that was done on purpose or not. :eek:

23. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I must be okay with my middle name being as that's what I go by. :)

Not my choice, it's just always been that way. William Eric, and I go by Eric. It's been difficult at times because some places think William and Eric are two different people. Heh heh.

And then I did it to my son too. ;)

24. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

+1
    In fact, it wasn't until last year (I'm 16) that I realized that it's uncommon for that to be the case, having lived in Thailand for over 10 years.

25. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

My middle name is a last name and my last name is a first name. This confuses the hell out of people, who occasionally take the liberty of assuming I've filled out forms wrong. I had a car title like that for a while.