Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you mind a slightly chunkier screen, if the glowing Apple logo came back?

• Total voters

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
The glowing logo serves no other purpose than to tell the world that you have an Apple product, and I've got better things to do with my life than waste my time boasting that I can afford an Apple laptop.
It has nothing to do with you, sorry.
Apple don’t need so much free advertising anymore, so they lowered the effects 😉

Btw, it should be. 3rd option to put my vote on.

3/ It doesn’t matter, I bought the Apple Device out of other reasons.

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
I miss the old PowerBook G3 way where the logo is for YOU, not everyone else. For those that don't know the logo used to be flipped so it was right side up when you were about to open it from closed and upside down when open. With the PowerBook G4 they decided the logo was to advertise to everyone else in the room and flipped it.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
couldnt care less

it's nothing but a tool, and if anything i'd rather the interior to be beautiful (the OS and apps), which it is . I never use my laptop with the back, I use it with the front, looking at the screen and keyboard

besides as others pointed out, it was flawed since light could pass through

Reactions: Saturn007

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
There are lots of things I might miss about "the old days" of assorted Macs, but the logo style on the laptops is not one of them. As others have noted, I don't run my machine from a vantage point where it matters.

[ Can't resist adding a curmudgeonly note in the era of being asked if one wants to roll with 8GB memory or on up to stratospheric offerings at stratospheric prices: once in a great while I allow myself to miss the days of the old McSink shareware, a made-for-Mac text processor written in assembler that ran in 20k and had features that should make TextEdit devs hang their heads and blush in shame. "Those were the days" -- and they were also days when a 40 megabyte hard drive was a prize possession. Now Apple wants to know if I might need a drive with 2TB. I realize this is progress, especially since the Powerbook 170 I bought that did have a 40MB drive in it cost me way more in today's dollars than the 15" MBA I now drool over.]

So all in all I'll take today's Macs over all the ones I used to own and love in their time. Apple still has what it takes to keep me in their ecosystem. Yeah I liked the old glowing logo. But I like what's under the hood of the new laptops, so I'll go with the flow on the style of the logo on the case.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I don't really have a strong feeling about it. It caught OTHER peoples eyes but it was something I never noticed or looked at. Now...

I would gleefully purchase a retro throwback Mac. Especially if the command key had the apple logo on it.

I'd love to see a retro keyboard that has the old Apple II keyboard layout, complete with both the closed and open apple keys...

appleiiekeyboard.jpg

Reactions: velocityg4

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
No. I think they got rid of it because for very thin screens (like the old 2010 era MacBook airs) bright light/sunlight shining on the logo could damage the screen. This happened to me twice with a 2013 MBA. A very clear halo of different colored screen that matched the apple logo on the back. I got it repaired the first time it happens and then when it happened again I just decided to live with it.

So I do not miss the glowing apple at all.

tornadowrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
The metal logo now is more modern and elegant. The glowing logo looks so old.
Well, yeah, it looks modern because that's the way it is now, and the glowing logo looks old because that's the way it was then. If they would have ad the metal logo back then and the glowing logo now, then it would be reversed.

But hey, if you want to go really retro, turn that apple upside down!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.