Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you mind a slightly chunkier screen, if the glowing Apple logo came back?

• Total voters

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
But hey, if you want to go really retro, turn that apple upside down!!!
That was a design decision I never understood…

I always felt like an idiot while using it in public.

2653354df283464b2e44eaedbf49ee69.jpg

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Reactions: orbital~debris
No. I think they got rid of it because for very thin screens (like the old 2010 era MacBook airs) bright light/sunlight shining on the logo could damage the screen. This happened to me twice with a 2013 MBA. A very clear halo of different colored screen that matched the apple logo on the back. I got it repaired the first time it happens and then when it happened again I just decided to live with it.

So I do not miss the glowing apple at all.

I’m late to the thread.

There is, however, another reason: it’s cheaper, per unit, to avoid additional precision water-cutting on a separate piece of aluminium (as well as the tooling for holding that piece whilst the cutting is happening). Carrying this to thousands of units at a time, the savings add up for Apple without a need to pass any of that along to the retail buyer (i.e., the product still costs “[local currency symbol]xx99”).

It also means less time for a(n automated) machined set-up for a glossy metal inclusion of the Apple brand mark (which, if I recall, is laser-etched and, again, a lot quicker to work with moving through an assembly line versus water-cutting, as water-cutting also requires a drying step).

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
I kinda miss seeing them; they were a staple during college lectures in dark lecture halls. Still, probably the right choice moving away from them. Kinda like skeuomorphism.

Reactions: orbital~debris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.