Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you mind a slightly chunkier screen, if the glowing Apple logo came back?

• Total voters

Saturn007

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
The glowing logo serves no other purpose than to tell the world that you have an Apple product, and I've got better things to do with my life than waste my time boasting that I can afford an Apple laptop.

Yet, if you have a more recent Mac laptop, you still have an Apple logo on it that’s telling the world the very same thing! More subtle, perhaps, depending on which color Mac, yet, at one level, even more elegant and proclaiming more powerfully: I'm an Apple user and I’m proud of it! 🙈 😎

As to the logo shining through, I'm sure an Apple “junior engineer” could design an LED or solar-powered Apple logo that lights up depending upon ambient conditions — and is embedded in the surface of the case, with dark backing, so there's no pass through or effect on the actual display.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Had to check, mine's glowing right now on this retired mac. I don't miss it as I (obviously) never see it. Now that pulsating light on the lower case, that's a different matter.

Reactions: orbital~debris

IconDRT

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2022
Seattle, WA
I like the current glossy metal logo. However, to add to Saturn007's comment, the "junior engineer" could also add a thin LED outline to the current metal logo and allow users to change the color, adjust intensity, or have it flash, because unlike some folks I have carved out spare time in my schedule specifically to telegraph to others in my vicinity that I have the means to own top of the line Apple products. ;)

IconDRT

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2022
Seattle, WA
And on a related note, I also miss those little battery level lights and I liked having the round power button separate from the keyboard. In fact, I liked being able to control how and when my MacBook Pro would power up instead of firing up when the display is opened or key is touched. Wait... what was this thread about?

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I wish there wasn't a logo of any kind on the lid, in the same way I avoid clothing with things like the Nike swoosh or similar brand marks. I don't like being an unpaid billboard for multinational corporations.

That being said, the understated metallic version is, at least, reasonably tasteful. The light one up was obnoxious.

Reactions: profcutter

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Not even a little. I hated that glowing thing. Especially when sharing a hotel room at night, or when outside and an apple shaped glow appeared in the middle of the screen. Good riddance.

Reactions: cateye

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I miss the aesthetic of it. What I don't miss is that it is a structural weak point in the clamshell housing for the display. In 2015, shortly after the first 12-inch Retina MacBook came out (and after it became clear that Apple was ditching the glowing logo), I went on a trip with my 2010 17-inch MacBook Pro. The display cracked in transit exactly where the Apple logo was. You could tell from the damage that this wouldn't have happened with the newer logo designs (at least of the 2016-2022 13-inch MacBook Pros; it seems as though they've switched back to plastic for the Apple logo for the 2021-present 14-inch and 16-inch Macs).

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2009
No. It reflected on to my TV and was very annoying to try to find the best way to use my MBP at night. Have they redesigned the lid so there is no illuminated apple logo on the lid of the MBPs?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Yes, I do. I have an older MacBook Air laying around, and I realized how much I missed the glowing Apple logo. I wish Apple offered it in the Air lineup and keep the Pro lineup without it.

Romain_H

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
And on a related note, I also miss those little battery level lights and I liked having the round power button separate from the keyboard. In fact, I liked being able to control how and when my MacBook Pro would power up instead of firing up when the display is opened or key is touched. Wait... what was this thread about?
...aaand the "sleeping Mac" LED. That was awesome

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
OMG that just brought back a memory from elementary school when the computer teacher would say "now everyone press open-apple, control, reset"

We always said "control - open-apple - reset". I remember using closed apple a few times, but I couldn't tell you for what purpose at this point.

elmarjazz

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
Just yesterday I was taking photos of my MBP 2015 15” to put up for sale. Of course, the iconic glowing white APPLE logo was one of those pictures. It was a ‘sign of the times,’ you could say and the MBP has moved on. Cool back then, but the newer MBPs look fine without it, and I’m sure not having it saved APPLE some production costs.

Reactions: Saturn007

zachz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
The metal logo now is more modern and elegant. The glowing logo looks so old.
Agree 100%. I was a bit upset when they released the very first non-glowing MacBook because it was right around the time I was going to get my first MacBook and always loved the glowing logo, but now with how sleek MacBook's have gotten (even the new MBPs, despite being chunkier), the metal logo is so much nicer to me.

What I would like Apple to do is bring back the iBook G3 clamshell design language and make a colourful plasticky MacBook that glows :D although that would not be popular...

• Love

tornadowrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
We always said "control - open-apple - reset". I remember using closed apple a few times, but I couldn't tell you for what purpose at this point.
I don't think I knew what they meant by "open-apple". I think I thought it was "open" because it had a bite taken out of it. I don't even remember the "closed-apple" being there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.