Do you obsess over Apple boxes?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rmoliv, Oct 13, 2018.

1. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

Because I do. I’ve already sold Apple products to buy exactly the same but new just because the package got a bit dented or scuffed or stained. Am I the only one?

2. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Among posters here I suspect you may not be the only one.

I personally think that buying new ones to replace the ones you have is slightly "unhealthy" behaviour.

All my boxes go in the recycling.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I keep the boxes and sell the product in the box when I’ve upgraded.
    Easiest way to ship them.

4. rmoliv thread starter macrumors 6502a

I keep all my tech boxes but especially Apple’s it’s like they are part of the product and I take extra care of them. When I buy products at a physical store I always inspect the boxes for scuffs, etc. but sometimes I only notice micro imperfections at home and I obsess over them to the point I’ve got to buy a new one.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, I don't.

Excellent post and I agree with you.

In the past, I've kept one or two boxes, simply because I was advised to do so; it was explained to me (to my complete and utter stupefaction) that this made the computer worth more.

In truth, I usually give my computers away to my siblings. As it happens, I've only ever sold two, and one of those was accompanied by its box (untouched), whereas the other was sold to a colleague with whom I was working abroad who wished to give it to his wife.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I've kept my boxes, but have no idea how "pristine" they are.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I only keep the boxes of my computers that I may sell, its not out of fanboyism, but rather ease of shipping. I usually throw away the stuff from iPhones and iPads. I see little value in keeping those around cluttering up my house

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

No.

I keep only the iPhone and iPad and the MacBook Pro boxes in case I ever sell them and need to ship them.

I don't like clutter and those boxes I do keep take up very little space so its not an issue.

9. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Yep, same here, we're talking inconsequential space (for us), it's easier to sell, easier to ship, even as a hand-me-down gift it makes it a little nicer.

10. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

After reading the OP and some replies, I seem to be confused what is being discussed. Box? Are you saying you’d replace an Apple computer with the same model if it got a ding on the case?

The replies about recycling boxes, are those serious, humor or another topic?

11. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

I think there's a big gap between "I like to keep the box" and this. To most people, this wouldn't even come to mind. I am not even sure if you're serious, but I too would like to know if others do the same... o_O

12. rmoliv thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well the computer is expensive so probably I wouldn't do it unless I wanted a different one, but I've already done it with an Apple TV 4K (once), iPhone cases, iPad (I got an iPad Pro to replace it so it was an upgrade but the main motive to get rid of it was a small dent on the box).

13. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I won’t accept a product at the point of purchase if the packaging is damaged to the extent it might impact the product’s function or aesthetics.

But no, I do not replace a product because the packaging material later suffers an imperfection.

Pride in ownership is a respectable personal matter. But wondering if this behavior manifest itself in other ways in life?

14. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

hmm... Not even close to one guy I remember.
    I was working as a tech at an Apple reseller. This guy refused to buy a Mac, unless he could see the shipping pallet as it arrived, and "his" Mac was shipped with no sides facing out that could be scuffed, or otherwise harmed during shipping.
    No amount of "We don't always get multiple items on a single pallet, and one box may ship by itself" or other attempts to reassure this guy would help. As I recall, we sent him on his way, with a "we hope you can find success somewhere else"

15. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Yikes!
    That is very odd behaviour indeed.
    Makes you wonder how some people manage to get out their front door in the morning…
    --- Post Merged, Oct 13, 2018 ---
    No, not the aluminium/plastic case… the cardboard packaging box…

16. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I don't imagine many people would buy a new phone or iPad to get the new box that it came in. :rolleyes:

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

My uncle used to do stuff like that. He was a cop until his health issues forced him off the force. Spent most of his life obsessing over perfection and trying to solve the mystery of who murdered his wife.

18. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

They are well-designed boxes (I’ve sold boxes themselves on eBay, believe it or not) but I don’t care much about them. Actually something that is sad is the magic of unpacking an Apple device has worn off - I think that’s because I’m older - but I do keep the boxes since it’s not much storage and if I resell the device people want the original packaging.

19. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

I use to obsess over my Apple product wrapping, I would purchase empty apple boxes...lol...thankfully I am over this problem. :)

20. EEzycade macrumors member

EEzycade

Oh dear! The first post is kind of scary like yikes. Godspeed in dealing with that. Life happens, and you’re spending money you don’t need to for a box that takes cents to make.

21. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

It is curious to me what brings out this kind of behaviour in many people with their Apple products.

For many it seems to me as if the phone/computer/tablet has acquired some almost mythical status as the ne plus ultra of anything electronic.

Products not to be used as such, but rather endlessly fussed over and cosseted. Shown off, displayed (and then feeling emotionally distressed when the product is not noticed by casual passersby), polished and cleaned, slept with under their pillows.

Do they fuss like this about their beds? Sofas? Toilet rolls? Where do they step with their shoes?

I ask not to make fun of those afflicted by what I can only see as a curse, but more what it is about Apple that brings out this obsessive behaviour?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 14, 2018 ---
    Well… let me introduce you to the OP.

22. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

That would be silly or possibly obsessive in combination with too much money to spend. :)

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I may keep them for awhile, but I don’t obsess over them.

24. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

There are people dying of hunger all over the world and you send way an expensive phone because the package has got a little dent?...

25. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Well, I __wasn't__ until this thread ...

So I checked on mine, all still mint, glowing beautiful white like they were touched by the hand of God. I moved them into some heavy duty water/air isolating bags, put them into steel storage containers - I'm having a walk in safe installed this coming up week where I'll secure them, just trying to decide if I want one or two 24 hour guards to supplement the laser motion detectors and guard dogs (that shoot bees from their mouths).