Do you own an iPad and an iPhone? Why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pravius, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Pravius macrumors regular

I am just curious. I have been wanting to pick up an iPad for awhile now but really cannot justify having one as I already have an iPhone. So I am curious, those of you that do own both, what do you do that you would need both.

This is not me trying to justify buying both (maybe it is just a little!) I just want to see what you guys are doing with them.

2. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I would like to get an iPad, but just like you I can't justify it. If I'm out and about I have an iPhone that I pay to have a data plan on, and if I'm at home, I have a computer.

So for me, no. It just doesn't make any sense. Now if I were a business traveler who spent a good amount of time away from home, I would for sure get an iPad. But being like most people who are almost always around their home base, no.

3. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I bought an iPad for me and my family (as well as an iMac for me and my family). I just got a 4S for myself.

One word of advice: if you have an iPhone, an iPad will be 2nd best.

IMO you can't beat the iPhone as an all-in-one portable device. Anything you do off of an iPhone should honestly be done in Lion.

An iPad is only worth it if you must have the form factor, or if you will be sharing it with others in the house.

An iPhone is a very personal device, but IMO it's the best portable device.

I switch between using an iMac and a 4S. I've rarely used the iPad ever since I got the 4S.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

They are 2 different animals. Get 'em both. Screen real estate on the iPad is fantastic.

5. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

There is a cross over between them for sure.

But at home, my iPhone stays in my pocket or on the dock.

For browsing the web or watching YouTube, the iPhone doesn't really come close.

When I'm out and about, the iPhone is fantastic for doing those things on the go, with it's constant connectivity.

But when I come home, I always grab the iPad.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I have both, they both serve different needs/uses. My iPad is better for web browsing and working, or reading ebooks.

7. spartanrob macrumors 6502

spartanrob

Love the iPad for traveling and watching movies. Also use it for SlingBox when the TV has been taken over by another family member. Sometimes the iPhone screen is just too small.
    Easier to use than a laptop and the battery lasts forever. I can even use it for work as we have web access to outlook.
    It pretty much does everything.

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Doing the Internet on the tiny 4S screen will leave you wanting.

I need the iPhone, iPad, Lenovo W420 and iMac running nothing but Windows 7 Pro!

9. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I have the following;

MBP 13"
    iPad2 64GB
    iPhone4S 64GB

I have an iPhone and iPad because there are things I require a bigger screen for but don't like having to carry my laptop to every location just for this ability.

10. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

I have both.

I also have a Pistol and a Shotgun. Why? They are made for different purposes - they each excel in certain situations and are terrible in others.

11. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

I don't have an iPad, but I do what to buy one. I saw Apple has refurbished iPad first generations on sale for $299 for the 16 gb, and the 32 & 64 gb are $399. So I might buy one because I've wanted one ever since release.

12. gloomcookie1 macrumors regular

The iPad is a great at home device. Great for magazines with which I keep up with 3 or 4 through Zinio. Going to be reading the Steve Jobs book tonight through iBooks. It is phenomenal browsing the web on the couch while watching TV. There are some really good apps for the iPad to go along with while watching TV - the NFL app is pretty good.

If it was an either or type of deal where I had to choose then of course I'd get the iPhone because it goes everywhere with me, but the iPad is an awesome complement to your iPhone and/or laptop.

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

This. Reading/highlighting PDF's doesn't work so good on an iphone. Making phone calls and carrying it in my pocket doesn't work so good on an ipad.

14. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Because I just want it ;) actually it's also my portfolio (Fashion Photographer)

[​IMG]

15. Pravius thread starter macrumors regular

All very logical responses. The obvious is size, I guess in my situation I may not need one right now. I have the MBP, and a BA windows gaming machine. Maybe I should just sell the MBP and pick up an iPad...

I hate new technology because I always get caught in the hype and it's impossible to resist.

16. AquaGreenbean macrumors newbie

Why do I own both? Do you know how stupid I would look holding an iPad up to my ear to make a phone call?

17. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Well done.

18. Alphaforcex macrumors member

I have all 3 (4S, iPad 3G, MBA) and its so much easier to type on the iPad instead so I use it all the time. I even bring it out all the time. 4S is good while driving, making phone calls, GPS, music but everything else is so much more enjoyable on the iPad because of the screen size. Kids love them too! My wife and I (both have iPhone and iPad) use the PCs less now.

19. Annerz macrumors regular

I have the iPhone 4 and the iPad2, I think it's worth it to get both. I sue the iPhone much more but for games and browsing the internet it's pretty cool. Also the iPad is nice for watching movies.

20. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

+1

That's my reason. Because I wanted it.

21. sterence macrumors newbie

Depends on how you use it, and what your needs are. I'm a law student and personally have a 4S and and iPad 2 (and a Thinkpad x200s).

I use the iPad for: (1) reading/annotating documents (2) reading the newspaper (3) surfing the web (4) videos/games. I personally think (1) is worth the price of admission for the iPad. It's much harder to justify, in my opinion, if you can't find a productive reason to use your iPad.

22. Mr.C macrumors 601

I have both an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4S. They serve different purposes and whilst some uses are the same one is better then the other for some. Not to mention the iPhone is not good for prolonged use. I have a Mac Mini and a MacBook Air but my iPad gets used a lot more then those two even at home.

23. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I have an iPad1 with 3G bought at launch, and an iP4 bought in July.

The iPad met all my mobile needs, and did it better than the iPhone. When I'm spending hours a week in waiting rooms, the larger screen is welcome.

I honestly don't browse much on my phone, only when I have no other choice.

My 17" MBP hasn't seen much action since I got the iPad.

When I got the phone I cancelled my unlimited data on the iPad. I miss it, but can't afford both right now. I'd be happy if i could dump the data on the phone and just have it on the iPad (which is what i had before, smartphone without data and the iPad). I'd give my phone back before I'd give up the iPad!

24. applefan289, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

applefan289 macrumors 68000

Agreed. Don't go by what you need, go by what you want. Eventually you will get it anyway. If you're excited to buy it, buy it.

Chances are, not too many items come around that you feel you really want. So when one does come around, go ahead and get it.

Before the 4S came out, I had already gone over the idea that I don't need a smartphone, I'm fine with my Samsung flip phone, and checking emails/internet on the go (for me) would be overkill.

Even though I had this viewpoint, I was still "eyeing" the iPhone 4 as something I would get if money was no object. Then, when the 4S came out, I was very excited about it, but was still trying to justify that my Samsung flip phone was enough for me, and it wasn't worth the cost per month.

Finally, I went for the 4S for these reasons:

1.) It's an all-in-one device. It gives me all my portable needs including a phone.

2.) It looks nice. It's very solid, and is a pleasure to hold and use.

3.) Access to internet anytime, anywhere. Even though I previously stated that I didn't need this and that it was "overkill", I still think any way you slice it, it's great to be connected everywhere.

4.) Siri, the better camera, A5, etc. I know the iPad has the A5, but the iPhone always seems to have the highest-end hardware as far as iOS devices go. I've always wanted the superior iPhone hardware, and have finally indulged myself to it.

5.) If I'm going to have a phone, why not have the best? I don't have too many devices, so for the ones I do have, why not max it out? This makes the iPhone worth it, because it's the best phone mixed with the best of everything (iPod, camera, emails, Safari, etc.)

6.) Finally, the Apple experience. The only reason I have a smartphone now is because I'm into Apple stuff.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. I had told my sister a few weeks prior to getting the iPhone that my Samsung flip phone was great for me, and that I thought emails and internet on the go was overkill. Then she saw me come home with an iPhone, and pointed out my contradiction/inconsistency. So basically, this sums it up.

25. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

I use my iPad for watching video podcasts while I'm out. Because of the bigger screen size, it's much better than watching on the iPhone. Surfing on the iPad is also easier because, again, of the screen size.

I do have an MBA but the iPad has a better battery so it will last longer than my MBA while watching video. The iPad is also easier to pull out and handle than the MBA.

The iPhone is my audio player, and having a small computer in your pocket is great. And I also use it for taking photos and videos since it's always with me.