Do you play or have you played an instrument?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Khalanad75, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

I played the Tuba/Sousaphone for 8 years in school. I was quite good and would have kept with it just never had the cash to spend on one.

I did try to buy a cheap Chinese one through e-bay and had to return it. I don't know what they did, but 2 of the valves didn't change anything when pressed.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Did they actually ship it from China to you? That must have cost a fortune! :eek:

3. Khalanad75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

Yes, but it was the cheapest slowest delivery you could find.

4. ucfgrad93, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Bass guitar ... just for my own enjoyment.

Playing the right note in rhythm is one of life's great joys.

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Strings here. When I first went to college I was a violin major. I played and gave lessons until my neuropathy hit. I can't think of an instrument I could play now. :(

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

8. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Graduated from a musical school. Played piano and bassoon. After graduation, returning to my country I decided to give up the "musical career". Since then I've been walking on a different path dedicated to my beloved hobby of Martial Arts.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'm game.

Bassoon (primary). Saxophone (alto, tenor, and bari). Clarinet. Baritone (which also nets you trumpet, tuba, mellophone, and french horn). Guitar. Bass (upright, fretless, and fretted).

Needless to say, my school's band instructor really believed in me in 8th grade and throughout high school and taught me to play, since he was a bassoonist himself. I still have my bassoon and guitars to this day.

My only regrets were not continuing drum lessons when I was 5 (thought afternoon cartoons were more important) and not taking piano lessons.

BL.

10. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Played violin in early elementary school and up until 9th grade. I hated it. my parents forced me to play, but my teacher just hated my guts and I ended up hating the instrument. I don't particularly like the sound it makes, if I were to stick in an orchestra I would play cello.

I've played guitar for the last 10 years and that is the love of my life :cool:

11. JerryGarciaBandFan macrumors newbie

I work with a lady who is 1st bassoon in the local orchestra. Quite the instrument.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

We had a piano when I grew up. My mom played and sang and both of my sisters learned to play.

I couldn't be bothered, as that wasn't something a boy got into. o_O

13. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Piano, guitar/bass, and some drums (barely). I record at home. But I haven't really done much in a while. Been slowly putting my studio back together lately.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Definitely is. For such a low brass instrument (especially for it being a woodwind), it's amazing that it has a 4 octave range. I'm glad an elementary school friend talked me into it, otherwise I would have gone vocal music instead.

If there is any type of musician I admire, it's the consummate one: one that could be their own band. Phil Collins, Don Henley, or for that matter, Stevie Wonder. All of them played nearly every essential instrument on their solo albums.

I thought the same thing as well, as the only thing guys got out of piano lessons were accompanying a blues guitar player, playing the classics, or some keyboardist in a pop band...

Then what made me rethink that were the solos and riffs that Jens Johansson and Yngwie Malmsteen played together in songs like Deja Vu. The main guitar riff is repeated across 2 octaves on keyboard, and one octave lower on bass (good luck, bass players). Took me 3 weeks to figure out that riff on guitar.

BL.

15. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I'd LOVE to learn Cello some day, but I think I'd like formal drum lessons first. But man, cellos are EXPENSIVE. I'm trying to concentrate on just getting back into recording again. Been selling some of my gear to simplify my setup and go virtual as much as I can. I'm also a huge fan of those that do it all; I find them inspiring, regardless of whether or not their music is my taste.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I think a musical education - and an appreciation of music - is one of the greatest gifts parents can give to youngsters.

It is one of the relatively few regrets of my life that I never learned to play an instrument, as I love music. However, when I was a kid, the choice was between music lessons and elocution lessons and my mother decided upon the latter for me.

17. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Electric guitar for 2 years as a middle aged adult until I became dissatisfied with my progress. I'm still sad about giving up on it.

18. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Kudos to all who have. My father played the guitar his whole life and damn he was good at it. Not only the guitar, but anything with stings. He could pick it up and within minutes be playing it. He never took a lesson either. Always envied him for that as I have never had a musical talent but an appreciation for those that do.

19. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Me neither, but that didn't stop me from trying my hand at the cello. Mom thought I would become the next Yo Mama:p. The woman had a tin ear.:confused:

20. impulse462, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

never too late to give up on it. when i was first starting out (around when i was 13) I just wanted to be a rockstar so I didn't bother to learn any chords/scales. took me a while to realize that i needed to know them and i could pick up songs pretty easily after that. then you learn what sounds good together and what doesn't. for example, i love songs in the key of A minor such as "house of the rising sun" or "while my guitar gently weeps". both bob dylan/the animals play their version in this key, however the animals don't play any bass notes on the guitar while dylan does. just an interesting contrast.

edit: oh actually it seems as if the animals version of the song is in F major. huh, guess I'm dumb.

21. Pilon macrumors member

Pilon

I played Bass guitar in a couple of bands with my mates when I was younger, we played local pubs in the late 90's even recorded some tracks, now I just play for pleasure and the odd recording with my friend who played guitar.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

She wanted you to be the next Yo-Yo Ma, when on the other side of the coin, you wanted to be like these guys:

:D

BL.

23. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Drums... Double kick style. Have been in several bands. From a straight edge punk to a full on death metal/doom metal band, to my current band, which is a cross between Godsmack and Metallica.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Brilliant.

I'll have to look those guys up.

25. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I've played piano for 14 years now. It started when I received an electric piano as a Christmas gift when I was 7 and I was attached to it so I took lessons up until I was 18 and I've been on my own since. I can play any song by ear just by hearing it a couple of times and I do play daily for my own enjoyment.