Do you pluck the hair on your Mac regularly?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Epsilon88, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

Sorry about the title. :p

Anyway, I recently ordered an iBook G4 12" from eBay. While I was typing, I noticed that the keys weren't pressing properly. Upon inspection, I noticed tons of thick black hair follicles hidden underneath the keys. There were also a lot of food particles and other organic material jammed into the keys. blech

UPDATED: I popped off all the keys, and here's what's underneath. (Pictures added on October 19th).

But that brings into question: do you clean underneath your keys regularly, and how?

Attached Files:

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No... thats done in the bathroom sink if ever. Like Mr. Creddy once said "Disgusting"

3. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

In the bathroom sink... does that mean that the keyboard is washable?

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

nooooooo

I dunno what to advise......maybe very gentle with a vacuum?

5. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

I bought an apple bluetooth keyboard on ebay and not only was it dirty the thing was full of hair and crumbs. Took it entirely apart, cleaned each individual piece with isopropyl alcohol and reassembled. Looks pretty nice.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I must say hair removal part is done in the sink... anyways, moving away from that image; an air blower (canned air) should do away particles and such. Also, a small vacuum always helps. If these fail, then disassemble, clean and reassemble.

7. Reventon macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

That's why I bought a keyboard cover for both my Macs. It works well blocking out hair folicles and crumbs from getting on the keyboard. I still have my spray can of compressed air which I used to clean my old keyboard.

8. Tyler76 macrumors member

Tyler76

Last time when I was going to buy a keyboard cover, the SA advised me not to go with it, for the cover may prevent the heat output.

9. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

The key caps come off very easily on most, if not all Apple keyboards. Check ifixit.com or the interwebs for a guide for your particular keyboard. iBooks and the new chicklet style keyboards can have the caps popped off easily for cleaning. Scary the first time - you think you're going to break your keyboard.

Avoid removing space or the bigger keys if possible - they can be a pain to put back on.

10. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

Man, I remember removing every key on the older bluetooth keyboards, with the number keypad. I took every key off, and wiped it down with alcohol. I had to put the keys in order on my desk, otherwise I would have forgotten where they went lol. Long process that Im glad I dont have to deal with again.

11. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Spray it with Nair. Problem solved. At least for the hair. :)

Improper use of Nair can lead to damaging your keyboard. Please follow directions.

13. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought I had gotten a lot of hair out, but I was wrong. As a user suggested, I popped off the keys. Here's what was underneath. Would it be unreasonable to send the seller a frustrated-sounding email about the uncleanliness of the product?

Attached Files:

14. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

What would be the overall point of sending a frustrated sounding e-mail? Frankly, I think you'd be wasting your time and energy.

16. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess there would only be a point if he genuinely didn't realize how dirty it was underneath the keys. The iBook's keyboard is such that it actually didn't look bad from the outside. Maybe next time he would clean it before sending?

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ Even if he cared, again, I ask why bother? So you make the guy feel like crap? Big whoop. Frankly, I would genuinely care, take note for future cleanings and be on with myself. I would also take pause and wonder why you bothered wasting your time to tell me.

I think you should spend the time cleaning your keyboard. ;)

18. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you just answered your own question Jessica. You would "genuinely care", but you can only do so if you know that the laptop you sent out was dirty. It saves the next buyer the hassle of cleaning.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think you should see that I also answered your question. ;)

Don't waste your time, use the time to clean that disaster of a keyboard.

20. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

This guy was obviously a dirty bastard. Dirty bastards don't care by default. It's in the contract.

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I imagine if you looked inside fifty six-year-old keyboards, forty-nine of them would look just about like that. The other one would belong to the OP, or someone else similarly anal retentive.

Clean it up and move on. No sense bitching to the seller about it.

22. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

^^ yeah, this is definitely the "dirty bastard" that sold me this laptop. :D

23. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

Not to defend the "dirty bastard", but I have 3 cats, 2 of which like to lie on my keyboard, especially when I'm using it. I think I need to clean it more often now that I've seen this...

24. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't actually mind the hair actually. It's mostly the food particles/organic material trapped under the keys that's a little offputting.