Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
True. I use Calibre to convert then load.
iBooks isn't bad but I am a multi OS person and find it personally too limiting. ;)
iBooks might be limited to iOS but ePub itself is supported by a lot of platforms. Unless you need bookmarks and location syncing, using iBooks on iOS and mayhaps Aldiko, Mantano, Moon+, etc on Android works just as well.

Personally, I only use the Kindle app for Amazon-purchased ebooks (and only when I'm desperate). I hold my iPad with just one hand and tend to switch between hands when getting fatigued. The ability to customize controls so single-tap on both the left and right margins goes to the next page is a must for me. On the Kindle Paperwhite, you can't customize controls but the left tap region is much smaller than the right so it's easy enough to stretch the left thumb to advance to next page.

Aside from the times I read newly purchased ebooks on the Paperwhite, I "sanitize" all my purchased ebooks and convert them to ePub with Calibre for loading on Marvin (iOS) or Android.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
iBooks might be limited to iOS but ePub itself is supported by a lot of platforms. Unless you need bookmarks and location syncing, using iBooks on iOS and mayhaps Aldiko, Mantano, Moon+, etc on Android works just as well.

Personally, I only use the Kindle app for Amazon-purchased ebooks (and only when I'm desperate). I hold my iPad with just one hand and tend to switch between hands when getting fatigued. The ability to customize controls so single-tap on both the left and right margins goes to the next page is a must for me. On the Kindle Paperwhite, you can't customize controls but the left tap region is much smaller than the right so it's easy enough to stretch the left thumb to advance to next page.

Aside from the times I read newly purchased ebooks on the Paperwhite, I "sanitize" all my purchased ebooks and convert them to ePub with Calibre for loading on Marvin (iOS) or Android.

Now that is interesting. Maybe I will do some looking around. Kindle is available so pervasively that I now use it by default everywhere.
Hmmm... Thanks ;)

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Almost all my reading is on my iPad. Library books, Kindle books,,magazines, and PDFs all get read on it. About the only place I don't use it for reading is while driving. I have 4 different book reading apps for different sources - Overdrive, Kindle, iBooks, and 3M Cloud Library.

The one place an iPad has issues is bright sun but not a problem for me as I try to stay out of it.

Reactions: old-wiz

Vogue Harper

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Serenity
iPad Pro 9.7" for reading my photography magazines - the colour retina display is just perfect for this.

I have to admit though, for reading novels and other text books, I still cannot move away from my Kindle Paperwhite. The e-ink display is hard to beat. It just feels so much more natural and akin to reading a physical paper copy of my books.

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
I jumped ship permanently from Kindles since 2014 when iPhone 6 was released. On the go ,6s plus is the perfect reading device via the kindle app (never reloads) At home I revert to my Air 2 whilst "chillaxing":p

StPatty33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Colorado
Do those of you that do all your reading have non-screen day jobs? I can't look at computer monitors for 8 hours a day and then read at night on the same retina-burning screens. If I plan on reading for more than about 5 minutes, it's all about the Kindle Paperwhite.

Reactions: Rychy

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Do those of you that do all your reading have non-screen day jobs? I can't look at computer monitors for 8 hours a day and then read at night on the same retina-burning screens. If I plan on reading for more than about 5 minutes, it's all about the Kindle Paperwhite.
I read a lot in iBooks and I turn the Sephia setting on to make it easier on the eyes. I have not tried it with True Tone yet.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Can those responding in this thread please state which iPad you have and what if any case you use? I'm assuming the iPad mini is the best for reading on the go. I'm also intersted in what cases people go for or, if they use caseless? Thanks.

Reactions: jeremiah256

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Can those responding in this thread please state which iPad you have and what if any case you use? I'm assuming the iPad mini is the best for reading on the go. I'm also intersted in what cases people go for or, if they use caseless? Thanks.
On my mini I used an Apple Smart Cover with a clear Belkin hard shell back cover that I got on Amazon. On my Pro I use the Smart Keyboard cover and the Apple silicon back cover.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

StPatty33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Colorado
Yeah I have sepia on on mine, and the brightness quite low too. It's still unnatural light shining out towards your eyes, as opposed to the Kindle that's front-lit.

Reactions: rui no onna

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
After getting a Kindle Paperwhite ( which I love ), I wouldn't even think about reading a book on my iPad. My mini is almost exclusively used for reading manga though. If Amazon would make a Kindle with a 7 - 7.5" screen, I'd switch to reading manga on it as well. The current Kindle's screen is a little too small. E-ink is just so much nicer for things traditionally printed on paper.

Last edited:

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
After getting a Kindle Paperwhite ( which I love ), I wouldn't even think about reading a book on my iPad. My mini is almost exclusively used for reading manga though. If Amazon would make a Kindle with a 7 - 7.5" screen, I'd switch to reading manga on it as well. The current Kindle's screen is a little too small. E-ink is just so much nicer for things traditionally printed on paper.

What's manga?

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
My mini 4 is the perfect size and weight for reading, but I have old eyes and if I'm going to read rather than web surf I always use my Kindle Voyage. The Voyage is the perfect reading device in my opinion. Can't wait to hear about the new Kindle e-reader that Bezos is supposed to announce next week.

Reactions: StPatty33

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

See, I could never read eink, they seem too dim. I think the dimness factor is much improved with the Paperwhite, but I'm happy reading on my iPad, so haven't gone out of my way to try it. I'm also not happy that Kindle insists on full-justifying the text instead of letting me left-justify. I'm not sure why the backlight from LCD screens don't bother me, but they don't.

What's manga?

Japanese comic books.

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
My mini 4 is the perfect size and weight for reading, but I have old eyes and if I'm going to read rather than web surf I always use my Kindle Voyage. The Voyage is the perfect reading device in my opinion. Can't wait to hear about the new Kindle e-reader that Bezos is supposed to announce next week.

Oh ... I didn't know a new Kindle was being announced next week. Thanks for the heads up. I'm really hoping for a slightly larger screen.

Reactions: rui no onna

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
I only buy books for Kindle and iBooks. I do 95% of my reading on my iPad. Have for years. Don't like to buy actual books now!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I only buy books for Kindle and iBooks. I do 95% of my reading on my iPad. Have for years. Don't like to buy actual books now!
Personally, was forced to switch to ebooks years ago because I was running out of space to put physical books. Aside from 4 bookshelves, I had boxes of books underneath the bed and sofa and inside my closet. Only place that didn't have books is the bathroom. Being a digital packrat requires much less square footage.

As mentioned, 9.7" iPad (have used 2, 3, 4, Air and now Pro). The iPad 2, I pretty much only used for comics/manga preferring the smaller but higher pixel density display of the iPhone 4. Used a Targus Slim Case for iPad 2-4 and a CaseCrown ViewStand for iPad Air. Currently using a Moko Ultra Slim (similar design to Apple SmartCase) on the Pro 9.7. However, I am searching for a case similar to the Targus Slim Case/CaseCrown ViewStand. I found that design to be more stable when used as a stand than the SmartCase.

A case adds to the weight, sure, but I find they give me added grip on the iPads. Without the case, my iPads tend to slip frequently from my fingers.

Last edited:

Mack812

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2013
Honolulu, HI
I mostly purchase ebooks via the Kindle app since I don't have much space in my studio apartment to store physical books. I can also can easily read in bed with my iPad (iPad 3 64gb with Pro Gear Smart Cover) and take notes without ruining the ebook (unlike a physical copy). I also use my iPad to surf the web especially on the go (my Asus laptop stays at home unless I go to Starbucks).

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I'm just curious. Do you read on your iPad? And if so, do you have an iPad Mini, Regular or even Pro? Do you read in Bus/Train/Plane as well or just at home in bed and on couch? :)

I have an old Kindle for reading when I'm on the way to work/home but I consider buying an iPad Pro 9.7. Is it too big to read on it?

I have a Kindle Paperwhite but just got an Air 2 and am finding using the nightshift lighting setting makes reading on my iPad quite pleasurable.

mlovergaard

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2011
New York City
When I am at home I do a lot of my reading on the iPad, however daily on the subway I do my reading on the Amazon Kindle Fire, since the screen s just 7" it is much easier to hold with one hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.