Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bananas Ananas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2015
Massachusetts
I'm considering buying an Apple Watch myself but yet I'm not so convinced of usefulness of that thing. Now that some people have received their Apple Watches, what are your thoughts afterwards about the purchase? Do you regret it or does the Apple Watch justify its price?

trek360

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
It's exceeded my expectations. I initially thought I'd use it every now and then. Now I find myself missing it if I don't wear it. It's by no means an absolute necessity and it is still very first gen but I'm happy with my decision to go with the SS model.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
I have not yet received mine, but cannot imagine spending more than I did for the 42 SGB Sport.

I wear long sleeved shirts at work and I do not work with people that would think I'm a peasant for not having the SS model.

Im happy with my purchase, even if i like it or not

anez

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
I am 100% happy I bought the Watch. I got the 38mm Sport, and for me, it was well worth it.

I'm very pleased with:
- fitness and health tracking
- reminders to be active
- totally silent notifications
- notifications of emails/calls/texts when my phone is in another room
- weather on my wrist (I use this way more than I ever anticipated)
- overall comfort and appearance
- battery life, as mine has lasted all day every day since purchase
- auto-population of responses for questions in texts
- haptic feedback for directions when using Maps

I'm disappointed by:
- limited availability of bands for the Sport models (though I think this will improve with time)
- shaky reliability of "Hey, Siri", especially regards sending/replying to texts
- lack of ability to customize things like how long the face stays active
- the insanely tiny number (8?) of possible user-defined responses for texts, which badly needs to be far larger (25+ would be nice)

Overall, I think it's an incredible first-gen product, and I am hoping it's a massive success so Apple will continue to develop further generations.

I might not need a smartwatch, but now that I have had one, I want to never be without one again.

Reactions: mikezmac

wdfly

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
I had ordered a space black stainless link and got butterflies and cancelled after a few weeks. This was partially due to their not making any of them until after we ordered them giving me time to think about the amount of money I was spending on a first gen product. I ordered my wife a sport and wound up taking it as she didn't really want to wear it. There are times I think it was too expensive for what it is but it is useful and all in all I'm happy with it and can eventually get over the buyers remorse. Now that I've said all this a few years ago I got completely screwed on a new car purchase from a car dealer here in my home town and developed a buyers remorse problem with purchases larger than just a couple hundred dollars unless it's something I really use every day like an iPad or iPhone etc. if anyone is wondering no the car dealer wasn't a shady small lot used car type it was a major dealer, one of the largest in my area.

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
You must invent the usefulness for yourself. Nobody can tell you how you should use technology.

For instance, no longer do I have to take my eyes off the road to glance down at my phone for directions. Very natural to check your wrist to see how many more miles till the next exit. It's like I no longer will expect less information from the things I wear on my wrist from now on... :apple:

It may be superfluous or a luxury, but it is a very nice luxury that is worth every cent its cost.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
I am 100% happy I bought the Watch. I got the 38mm Sport, and for me, it was well worth it.

I'm very pleased with:
- fitness and health tracking
- reminders to be active
- totally silent notifications
- notifications of emails/calls/texts when my phone is in another room
- weather on my wrist (I use this way more than I ever anticipated)
- overall comfort and appearance
- battery life, as mine has lasted all day every day since purchase
- auto-population of responses for questions in texts
- haptic feedback for directions when using Maps

I'm disappointed by:
- limited availability of bands for the Sport models (though I think this will improve with time)
- shaky reliability of "Hey, Siri", especially regards sending/replying to texts
- lack of ability to customize things like how long the face stays active
- the insanely tiny number (8?) of possible user-defined responses for texts, which badly needs to be far larger (25+ would be nice)

Overall, I think it's an incredible first-gen product, and I am hoping it's a massive success so Apple will continue to develop further generations.

I might not need a smartwatch, but now that I have had one, I want to never be without one again.

You know in the 'Watch' app on your phone you can create custom (and as many as you want) responses, right?

maconut

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2014
USA
You know in the 'Watch' app on your phone you can create custom (and as many as you want) responses, right?

Would you please describe exact instructions for creating more than 6? I don't see a way to add a 7th on the watch app on my phone.

anez

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011

If you can point me to the area I've overlooked where you can add more than the six I have already, you will be my new hero.

whatos

macrumors 6502a
I pre-ordered and received mine on launch day. It was fun to play with, it was a bit of a pain to have one more device to charge, but that was expected.

Overall other than as a toy to play with, which is not a criticism, just an observation, I couldn't find any good reason to keep it. That's not to say anything negative, no product is for everyone.

I simply returned mine. Regrets? Heck no, I'm glad I gave it a try. It's the only way I ever judge any product I have even the slightest interest in.

ChinaRye

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Washington, DC
I have long been an Apple Watch skeptic, but I am too much of a gadget nerd not to pick one up and try it out. While I still think it is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist, I quite like it. I believe that it will evolve into something much more useful, especially when they add in additional health monitoring functionality.

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
Regret purchasing it?

I didn't want to get an Apple Watch at first but being a sucker I just had to try it out. It is without a doubt a neat device (because its new and different of course). It is a motivator for me when it comes to being active.

The only thing I regret is the price I paid for the watch. The price point is a tad high for my liking, but it is what it is.

Overall I enjoy the watch, though I do wear it in rotation.

falcongsr

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2015
I see it as an evolutionary step in wearable technology. It may not be a game changer by itself, but wearable computing is going to be a big part of life going forward. It doesn't quite do everything I hoped, but I bet version 2 or 3 does.

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
I have long been an Apple Watch skeptic, but I am too much of a gadget nerd not to pick one up and try it out. While I still think it is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist, I quite like it. I believe that it will evolve into something much more useful, especially when they add in additional health monitoring functionality.

I think it's true that this watch is trying to solve a problem that isn't really a big problem for many people. That being the case, I think if you get it mainly as a watch you're going to be quite delighted by it's extra features and you will find that it improves your daily workflow. If you get it for all the smart features, and not primarily as a watch, and I think you might find it a little too "1st-gen" feeling

EDIT: I don't regret mine at all.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
I dont regret buying mine, but i will say... Its a watch. it does stuff that you would love to use a watch for but were never able to before. it alerts you to things so you dont have to pull your phone out every 10 minutes you feel a buzz, only to find its a macys email or a reminder for a Facebook event you vaguely remember hitting "maybe" on. I also like the directions notifications, the macid when its not bugging out my computer, and theres also a cool tap tempo app for music.

If you went into it expecting to watch tv on it or write a screenplay on it at a coffee shop, youre gonna be disappointed.

OT2000

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
California
Got mine for half off with my brothers Apple employee discount. I would not say I'm disappointed, but I am a little underwhelmed. Need to set my expectations differently and know that it's more of a fashion accessory and assistant to the iPhone than anything.

42mm SS BBLL

chiffchaff

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
Western US
I have a 38mm sport and am very glad I bought it. I mainly wanted it for the fitness tracking, with notifications as a nice-to-have feature. After using it for a few weeks I like the fitness features a lot, as expected, but I like everything else it does a lot more than I expected. Notifications are only part of that.

I'm still discovering more ways to use it. For example, I had a long way to drive today and listened to a lot of music. Instead of fiddling with my phone when an album or playlist ended, I just raised my hand and told Siri to "play artist _____". Worked flawlessly. It's a simple thing but really nice, and actually quite a good safety feature since I was driving twisty mountain roads in a rainstorm at the time. That's just one example. As others have said, whether or not you'd find it useful is something only you can decide, because everyone has different needs and wants.

telefono

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
I have the sport and have no regrets. Had I purchased the stainless steel one, I probably would have regretted it

Glad you don't regret buying the Sport. I don't regret buying my SS with Link Bracelet.

If you and I swapped watches we would both regret the swap, enjoy your watch, I absolutely love mine ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.