Do you Sleep or Power Off?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rph105, Jan 4, 2009.

?

Sleep or Power Off?

1. Sleep

58 vote(s)
    75.3%
  2. Power Off

19 vote(s)
    24.7%
  1. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

I just sleep my Mac whenever I'm away from it, I can't be asked to keep booting it every morning! What about you?

2. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

If I had a desktop Mac I think I'd be shutting it down more than I do with my notebook. I just tend to close the lid when I'm done.

3. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Neither!
    I leave it running and only the monitor goes to sleep. If I am away for a longer time then I put my Mac to sleep.

4. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I sleep my MacBook. I power it off about once every 2 weeks.

5. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

My MacBook sometimes has trouble waking from sleep correctly. I have to press the power button a few seconds, then once more (shortly) and it will wake from what I think is hibernation. There are a couple of rounded rectangles on an otherwise gray screen, near the bottom of the screen, making up a progress bar. When all rectangles are full, my MacBook is usable again. Sometimes, it won't wake at all, leaving me with no other option than to restart it. Really annoying.

Anyone else experiencing this problem? What could be causing it?

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i use neither, i use Deep Sleep (a different method of sleeping). basically the same as hibernation mode for winblows.

when my laptop is at home i never turn it off though.

aaaahhh i know your exact problem, and i know how to change it!!

download (or see if you already have installed) the Widget called "Deep Sleep", its a moon that sits in the dashboard. once you have it, click the "i" button and select the "Regular Sleep Mode" part, make sure that is either "Quick", or "Safe". you can also change that for the bottom one, but id leave it at "Deep".

7. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Thank you! I'm going to try it out now. I guess I won't see the result immediately, as it didn't happen every time, but I'll be able to see if it helped over the next few days.

8. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Macs are designed to wake up instantly from sleep and be ready for use right away.

I always sleep mine, never turn it off (unless I'm away from it for a few days). The instant on is great. I could never be arsed waiting for it to boot up every time I wanted to use it.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Oh yes i couldnt agree more! The only thing that annoys me about the light sleep is that the memory hogs the battery so much! I just wish that it wasnt so heavy on it but ah well..

10. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Isn't that bad. If I sleep my Mac at 100% and leave it over night, it'll have about 93% remaining. That is from 12 hours worth of sleeping. Isn't that bad!

11. Thessman macrumors regular

My Quicksilver G4 is set to sleep whenever I'm away.

12. MacJamRev44 macrumors newbie

Sleep. Plus I have password required when waking from sleep.

13. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

Most of the times sleep. I'll occasionally reboot it about once every other day or so or if I know Im going to be gone for more than a few hours, I'll shut it down.

14. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Need a "Both" option ;)

On the notebooks I just close the lid if I'm coming back to the machine soon or I've got stuff open that I'll immediately resume. If I'm done with them for the day then they go off.

Desktops... neither, they run 24x7.

15. nillls macrumors newbie

I turn mine off, at least overnight. Sure it hardly uses any current in sleep, but it still uses a little. Lots of small actions will help lower my electric bill and preserve the earth. :)

16. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

it depend...if I'm alway for a short period I'll put it in sleep mode but overnight I turn it off...

17. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Sleep.

On a tangent note, I would sleep the Win/Dell Workstations where I work but Microsoft can't seem to get "sleep" right. On many occasions they are unable to wake up and only a forced power down (holding down the power button) and boot up will revive them. I used to think was only a Win 2000 issue but XP has shown it is can do perma-sleep-mode also.

I wish Microsoft would copy Apple's technique. I actually works quite well!

18. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Most of my Macs are set to sleep, unless I am going to be away for a day or more, then I power them off.

20. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Neither.

I never sleep my desktop Macs, only the monitor. I only sleep the portables when I'm moving them.

21. johto macrumors 6502

johto

I keep my imac on about 8-12 hours a day. Always on when i'm around.
    Normally put it to sleep during night, shutdown when leaving house for longer time(1-2 days)...

22. Jisuo macrumors 6502

23. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

i almost always sleep.. reset when i have to for software updates and such

24. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

I will usually power my computers off but with my PC's, I'll usually hibernate them.