Do You Sleep w/ the Door Open or Closed?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, Jun 15, 2015.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Whether you live in an apartment, flat, condo, penthouse, (not studio), or house...

Just wondering if the majority of pal's bedroom is closed or open at nighttime during sleep? I ask cause I read some crazy reddit post about people hearing of break-ins late at night and times when ppl have either heard a noise or missed it altogether; different varying answers. This question isn't limited to breaking and entering fyi, lol. Just thought it be an interesting question and seeing what the general consensus kinda is.

Thanks!

Edit: how the hell do you add a poll in the new forum post?

2. juanm, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Front door closed, balcony door open.

I have two dogs. One of them is a hunting dog in her prime, she can pick (and differentiate) the slightest unusual sounds, so I'm fairly confident if someone were to break into my apartment, she'd go crazy, giving us enough time to call the cops (and where I live, their response time is about 2-3 minutes, so we feel quite safe).

I'm also installing a backup alarm system, later this month for when we're away.

Edit: the dog in question. Huge ears. Usually she doesn't look this shaggy, I had been scratching her against the grain.

[​IMG]

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Sleep with the door closed (Unless it is really warm). Quite sensitive to sounds, so I assume I would wake up if someone broke up the door (I live on the 2. floor).

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Closed I feel very uncomfortable when vulnerable like when sleeping in an open area.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Closed door on my bedroom, always. Locked door, if I am in a hotel.

Actually, I would be most uncomfortable sleeping at night with an open door to my bedroom, and yes, I am quite sensitive to noise, but can block it out if necessary.

Sleeping on buses, trains, planes, - or sofas - is something different, and is more like enhanced napping.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

My apartment door is closed and locked, but all other doors, including the bedroom remain open. Puma doesn't like it when I lock him out of a room and/or away from me.

8. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

External ground floor openings are closed and locked (of course). Upstairs openings depends on the weather. Bedroom door open or closed is neither here nor there for me. Although it's slightly on the counterproductive side - I mean, you have to go to all that effort and reopen them again in the morning.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My front door is locked and he home alarm system engaged - we go into lock-down mode around 10:00pm :p

My bedroom door is frequently closed because we don't want the cats coming into the bedroom in the middle of the night (and causing a racket as cats like to do in the middle of the night)

10. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

My bedroom doesn't even have a door, so no. I want to take off all interior doors in the house though for open concept, it's just me and my wife. We don't even closed the bathroom door. I'm sure it'll be different when we have a kid. Alarm and exterior door always locked and on.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, perhaps I should have added that - in addition to a closed bedroom door, all external doors are locked, too, if I can ensure that, whether I am in a house or a flat.

However, I do like to sleep with an open window……… but, unfortunately, that is not always possible.

12. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

It will remain the same after you have children. They only want/need you when you're on the phone or in the loo.

I don't close doors at home (other than the outside doors, which are always locked). Doors exist only to inconvenience pets and small children.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Gosh.

Children or pets are one thing, but - if you are an introvert, and have a strong sense of privacy and a huge need for some personal space, both physical and mental - closed doors are a boon. Indeed, they are a necessity to ensure sanity, and for the recovery of energy.

Actually, I have worked in some very testing and trying places, and an absolute red line for me is the knowledge that I have some private and personal space, which, in practice, means a room of my own, where I can close the door and the world is kept at bay.

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Oh, don't get me wrong. I follow social conventions in public and would never dream of leaving the bathroom door open anywhere but home. And for safety reasons, my classroom door is always closed and locked. But my entire home is my private and personal space, so I don't feel I need partitions.

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

A resounding yes; this is critical for me too.

16. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If I want to keep the voices in my head out, I close the door to my bedroom, as I have a hard time getting to sleep with any noise.

17. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I close the bedroom door when I sleep to keep the cat from roaming the house and for safety. I was taught at school that the door should be closed to slow/prevent fire from entering the room. Was I the only one taught that?

18. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

During the day everything is open and unlocked. At night we close the bedroom like others to keep the cats out. We have 3 and it sounds like a stampede of elephants at night going up and down the stairs.

19. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

It's just me, bedroom door stays wide open all the time. Front door is closed and locked of course and the curtains are generally drawn. No, I don't have to go put clothes on when someone knocks on the door as I'm not THAT free.

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I leave my bedroom door open unless we have company over, in which case I close it.

21. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I was taught at an early age that it's best to sleep with your bedroom door closed for fire safety reasons. I'm not sure where I got this notion from, but I've done it like this for as long as I can remember.

The basic premise is that if the house is on fire, the door being closed can buy you the extra seconds/minutes needed to get out of the house. The door will prevent the fire from immediately spreading into your bedroom.

In a fire, seconds count.

And that's my PSA for the day.

22. nebo1ss, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015

nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Same here. I am Claustrophobic and would never feel comfortable with the bedroom door closed, also leave the window blinds open. Hotels rooms are generally larger and less of a problem. Although I have been known when in a small Hotel room in Montreal to get up at 1 in the morning feeling very uncomfortable and ended up wandering the streets of the city for a couple of hours. Got a different hotel the next day.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Sometimes, the most unexpected thread titles give rise to the most interesting discussions.

Thank you, OP, for starting this.

24. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Glad I wasn't the only one.

25. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Not going to be much use to you if you in an apartment on a high floor. You are going to have to exit through the door.