Do you still buy DVDs

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by podsorcerer09, Jul 18, 2011.

1. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

With the advent of streaming movie services and cheap rental plans, as well as iTunes digital downloads and Amazon VOD do you still feel the need to go out and buy a DVD every now and then? What if it's a movie that you will always enjoy watching, or a TV series that you really enjoy. Would you buy or rip or torrent or just stream?

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I actually just bought Marley and Me at Costco the other day for $6.99.

3. martin1000 macrumors regular

only once in a blue moon.

It would have to be a movie that i really, really wanted and would not be available through itunes or Netflix streaming. I've probably bought 1 or 2 movies this year.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No. I buy Blu Rays all the time though. The picture quality can't be beat by any streaming service.

5. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Why buy DVDs when there's Blu-ray ? I buy all my movies on Blu-ray, I don't want to have none of that DRM crap on stuff I own that limits the devices I can use to watch/play my media. At least Blu-ray's DRM only limits me to officially licensed, yet unlimited devices.

6. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Yeah, I only buy Blu Rays too. In fact I just bought "The Lord of the Rings" extended edition trilogy and pre-ordered the "Star Wars" saga.

The problem with streaming beyond picture quality is reliability, selection and data caps. Watching an HD stream is impossible during peak usage times or early at night. You either can't watch the show/movie at all or you just get a blocky low quality stream that switches back and forth between HD or what looks like 320x240 up sampled.

Plus it seems that only the garbage movies are streamed anything I actually want to watch is not available for streaming. Be it Netflix or Fancast (I have XFinity with HBO and Showtime).

I don't actually subscribe to Netflix I just tried it at a friends and found a very poor selection of streamed titles. I can't attest to the reliabilty of their streaming. I am just going by experience with Hulu, Fancast, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and South Park Studios.

If only they would release Zardoz on Blu Ray.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Nope, haven't bought physical media in ages. iTunes, Netflix and a DVR cover it all.

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Once in a great while. I just stream now from ATV or Netflix.

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

12. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

Some Bluray discs as show-off material but not too often.

13. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

As long as they're making them, I'm buying. These days I'm mostly buying Blu-ray titles. I also buy CD's regularly..

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes. Once in a while and usually I buy TV series on DVD. I'm about to buy the final season of E.R. which was released last week.

15. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

I buy them once in a while to have my favorite movies to watch on my computer on a whim.

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yes, DVD's, generally used for $2-$6 each ($15 - $20 for TV Season Sets).

17. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

I still buy them...

I'm a lover of material possessions.

18. gramirez2012 macrumors 6502a

Very rarely. I think I've bought 2 DVD's in the past 5 years. Probably only about 10 DVD's total.

19. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Not really... if there's something I really want on DVD, I get the Blu-ray. I bought Battle: Los Angeles a couple weeks ago on a whim, was actually surprised by how much fun that movie was. Otherwise, I just take advantage of HBO, On-Demand, etc...

20. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Only for traveling with the kids. Otherwise it's Netflix or BD.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I hardly ever buy DVDs. I just don't want to deal with storing them.

22. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Yes, DVDs are my only source of getting movies. I don't care for downloads or blurays.

23. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Just Blu-rays. I haven't bought a DVD in a very long time. I still buy CD's all the time thou.

24. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

That's what I don't get, what advantage exactly does a physical disk hold? I have to store the bloody thing on a shelf taking up space needlessly, when I want to watch it I have to physically find the damned thing, put it in a drive, navigate stupid menus which inevitably tell me I'm not allowed to skip them.

The whole experience just stinks, until there's a reasonably priced way of paying for movies to download DRM free in a format that's easy to play on any platform I'm simply not going to pay for movies.

I have 14TB of storage and a 21Mbit connection. I'm happy to store them and even happier to watch things on demand.

What hollywood doesn't seem to understand is that people won't pay extra for more hassle and an inferior experience.

25. AdrianK macrumors 68020

I agree with that and I still buy physical media. It's just nice to have, I like having populated shelves :p I find that it doesn't really feel like you're buying it if it just arrives instantly as ones and zeros (and maybe the odd two ;P), rather just a license to consume it, which I suppose is entirely true.

I do rip everything though, so once it's on the shelf it only gets taken out to lend to someone.