Do you still buy physical media?

Do you still buy physical media? (DVD/BR)

• YES

Votes: 221 54.2%
  • NO

Votes: 136 33.3%
  • STREAMING ONLY (Netflix/Prime etc)

Votes: 51 12.5%

• Total voters

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Geeze, make a flipping excuse for everything.... I bought and paid for the 4K discs that came with 4K streaming versions, DUDE. I paid for them. WTF is this "extra" NONSENSE? They're STILL 4K on Vudu and everywhere else part of the "Movies Anywhere" system for that reason (because I bought 4K, not 2K "upgraded" by Apple). If I buy the 4K streaming version, I should get the 4K streaming version. PERIOD.

If you're referring to Apple's upgrade to 4K only if you bought it directly from iTunes, that doesn't really apply here or for most people at this stage since 4K is now the standard. They sell 4K. They only sell 2K if Disney won't cooperate or it's some old film that hasn't been converted yet. In other words, the 'upgrade' thing was so several years ago. Nor does it give them the right to just take it back if they feel like it. Or maybe it does? And hence, the reason everyone should buy physical media so they don't get screwed.

As for upgrading from VHS to DVD to BD, etc. That stuff is OVER. Only someone that doesn't understand the formats in the slightest would buy an 8K movie and expect to actually see a difference short of a 250" screen. 4K is as far as the average consumer will EVER need to go. These are no permanent archive copies, save the "lying" 4K titles that are really just 2K up-converts using 2K DIs.
Dude, you didn't buy the 4K film you bought the HD film sadly. Check on your MacBook Pro and you'll see buy in HD or buy in SD. Sadly, the 4K version is a freebie extra for the ATV 4K.
I agree, it would be honest if Eddy Cue came clear about this with a clarification to 9to5mac or MacRumours. Maybe, that's why Apple are launching a streaming service so that they don't have the problem with downloads and single purchases.

The disc method seems to suit you so stick to it. Give up on iTunes and move on. It doesn't make you content. Don't waste a single moment of your life feeling sad or angry about your download. It's not worth it. Life is short buddy. And I bet when you get really old, you'll think about your fantastic hiking trip with friends or a midnight surf or the people that came into your life and left imprints on your heart. You won't think about a gigantic cinema screen or a disc.
[doublepost=1557857322][/doublepost]
For somebody who is constantly preaching about "to each their own" you really seem to have a problem with people having a different viewpoint from you. Why is it so hard to understand that other people want a higher quality picture, guaranteed every time (not just when Apple wants to give them access to it), and that people watch movies on devices that aren't a laptop screen or smartphone?

Nobody is forcing you to change what you do, but you really seem to have a problem with other people who don't live up to your standards of minimalism.
Do what makes you really happy with great friends!
Less is more when it come to products and minimalism works great for me. Heck with 70.4 million people are currently displaced world wide, it's about time that people stopped their greed - the greediest and most materialistic people seem to be the most miserable - the current US president is great representation of that!
But hey, adults talking about something so shallow and non significant to life as discs and films is really tragic isn't it. Let's all just move on with our lives! Less TV and more doing!

Last edited:
Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Dude, you didn't buy the 4K film you bought the HD film sadly. Check on your MacBook Pro and you'll see buy in HD or buy in SD.
Dude, I bought the 4K UHD Blu-Ray pack. 4K. It came with 4K codes (which is why it's still 4K on Vudu, Fandango Now, etc. through Movies Anywhere that Apple is a part of). What part of 4K isn't making sense to you? If you buy a new movie directly from iTunes the movie says 4K when it has it. It doesn't say "we're selling you the 2K version, but will stream a 4K version if we feel like it."

Sadly, the 4K version is a freebie extra for the ATV 4K.
BS. They offered 4K UPGRADES to 2K versions (but not SD) that you bought before they offered a 4K version, but that is hardly the same thing as saying they don't sell 4K versions. Yes, it makes it clear you need an ATV 4K to watch them (for now), but that's a condition. It doesn't mean the 4K version you paid for can be taken away any time they feel like it. Well, it probably does since all that fine print that no one in their right mind reads probably says you owe them your first born if they demand it....

It's far more likely they're changing something right now on the titles and the 4K version disappearing has something to do with that temporarily, but they could at least be nice enough to say WHY one way or another. If it's gone for good, they should own up to it and the hurricane of bad PR that will come with it. Sorry, you bought something expecting 4K but we decided to take it away willy-nilly. Ha Ha. Yeah, that goes over like a ton of bricks.... And all the more reason to buy the 4K BDs that they CANNOT take away.

The disc method seems to suit you so stick to it. Give up on iTunes and move on. It doesn't make you content. Don't waste a single moment of your life feeling sad or angry about your download. It's not worth it. Life is short buddy. And I bet when you get really old, you'll think about your fantastic hiking trip with friends or a midnight surf or the people that came into your life and left imprints on your heart. You won't think about a gigantic cinema screen or a disc.
Now you sound like the typical fanatic on here that says if you don't like how Apple does things, go buy a Windows machine and don't let the door hit you on the way out! We don't want you here! Yeah, fark that. WTF are you to tell me what to do? I'm seeing over 54% on here still buy physical media according to the poll results. Clearly, I'm not alone.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

PilotC150

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
It's far more likely they're changing something right now on the titles and the 4K version disappearing has something to do with that temporarily, but they could at least be nice enough to say WHY one way or another.
This seems to be what I've read the most, but for a company like Apple to have that poor of an upgrade process is pathetic. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's still pathetic.

Reactions: MagnusVonMagnum

Jayderek

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Madison, WI
This seems to be what I've read the most, but for a company like Apple to have that poor of an upgrade process is pathetic. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's still pathetic.
this is frustrating to see. I noticed this on the movie Heat and it happened a couple different times...it would be nice for some note explaining what was going on.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2015
I quite like buying from iTunes myself and don’t buy very many physical discs that much these days.
One thing that is slightly annoying with iTunes is that there’s no recognition that you’ve purchased a movie in 4K as no matter how many you have bought while already 4K it will state HD in your AppleID purchase history.
In the US however if you have Movies Anywhere linked and then if you buy a 4K title in iTunes it shows in the MA transaction history as owning 4K but iTunes still shows HD.

Reactions: Donfor39

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
this is frustrating to see. I noticed this on the movie Heat and it happened a couple different times...it would be nice for some note explaining what was going on.
Wait until Apple starts denying software "Notarization" a year or two from now when it's 100% REQUIRED to install new software. They won't give the developer any more of a reason than they do now for why they deny a smart phone app to run. Not the same? Won't run = won't run. When they take the user's CHOICE out of the equation, you no longer have an OPEN platform. I was about ready to buy another Mac Mini, but after reading about Apple's future plans for requiring Notarization, I can just see MakeMKV being denied without any reason given. If my computer can't do what I need it to do, it's not very useful to me no matter how fast a processor they might put in it.

I wanted to know why my Ghostbusters was upgraded to 4K but my Ghostbusters II was not (combo pack). The refused to deal with it through email. They said I had to call someone on the phone in tech support and pay for the call if I wanted to know why and even then they might not have an answer. YAY!

Grade

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
I buy more now since I'm completing my MCU movies (which I none, previous to Endgame). But before that the last movie I bought on Blu-ray was in January.

I think that quality of the movies (personally) as of recent has not been great.

millerj123

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
...And things like this makes me more a physical media kind of person. I'm really considering going digital or streaming is a mistake.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/2/21047388/disney-plus-movies-disappearing-home-alone
Yeah, I asked for CDs from various artists for Christmas, and spent a couple minutes each hour ripping them. My friends daughter was confused by getting media. They get all their music electronically.

I know that if Apple opts to remove them from my library, I can always add them back in.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Yeah, I asked for CDs from various artists for Christmas, and spent a couple minutes each hour ripping them. My friends daughter was confused by getting media. They get all their music electronically.

I know that if Apple opts to remove them from my library, I can always add them back in.
Apple most definitely will not remove any of your iTunes downloaded music to your library. You've downloaded it. Even Tim Cook has assured this!

Definitely do what makes you happy. I tend to buy individual tracks of music from iTunes as I don't like one particular artist.

Both CD and iTunes have their very strong positives...

1. With a CD you can rip it as a 256AAC like an iTunes purchase or a 320AAC or lossless if you think that you can hear the difference - I can't hear any difference between a 320AAC and a ALAC/FLAC/WAV.

2. With an iTunes music purchase you do have the luxury of having that track on any of your devices - Mac, iPad, iPhones, Apple TV instantly. I find it very very handy when I travel that I can instantly use Apple's Cloud service to play a track that I purchased 12 or 15 years ago that I don't keep downloaded to my iPhone. I've done that many times when in a country and suddenly thinking about a time or place etc :)

3. I like to listen to all of the versions on iTunes including Remasters and Mastered for Apple versions to see which one sounds the nicest to my ears i.e. the clearest or one with nice treble or even better volume etc.

As with anything to do with a computer, simply do a weekly or twice weekly TimeMachine backup of your Mac, move on and don't worry :)
- - Post merged: - -

...And things like this makes me more a physical media kind of person. I'm really considering going digital or streaming is a mistake.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/2/21047388/disney-plus-movies-disappearing-home-alone
That has absolutely zero to do with iTunes buying. Disney+ is a streaming service and just like Netflix and Amazon, these title will expire. Just like videos get removed from YouTube etc. You are not buying a film on Disney+ you really are subscribing to a service of multiple channels and content and these will change.

It's really important not to confuse the two here. They are both opposite ends of the digital field.

Reactions: JBaby

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Dude, I bought the 4K UHD Blu-Ray pack. 4K. It came with 4K codes (which is why it's still 4K on Vudu, Fandango Now, etc. through Movies Anywhere that Apple is a part of). What part of 4K isn't making sense to you? If you buy a new movie directly from iTunes the movie says 4K when it has it. It doesn't say "we're selling you the 2K version, but will stream a 4K version if we feel like it."

BS. They offered 4K UPGRADES to 2K versions (but not SD) that you bought before they offered a 4K version, but that is hardly the same thing as saying they don't sell 4K versions. Yes, it makes it clear you need an ATV 4K to watch them (for now), but that's a condition. It doesn't mean the 4K version you paid for can be taken away any time they feel like it. Well, it probably does since all that fine print that no one in their right mind reads probably says you owe them your first born if they demand it....

It's far more likely they're changing something right now on the titles and the 4K version disappearing has something to do with that temporarily, but they could at least be nice enough to say WHY one way or another. If it's gone for good, they should own up to it and the hurricane of bad PR that will come with it. Sorry, you bought something expecting 4K but we decided to take it away willy-nilly. Ha Ha. Yeah, that goes over like a ton of bricks.... And all the more reason to buy the 4K BDs that they CANNOT take away.

Now you sound like the typical fanatic on here that says if you don't like how Apple does things, go buy a Windows machine and don't let the door hit you on the way out! We don't want you here! Yeah, fark that. WTF are you to tell me what to do? I'm seeing over 54% on here still buy physical media according to the poll results. Clearly, I'm not alone.
Well, technically, they kinda can take BDs away. The AACS spec for BD allows particular models for BD players to be denied access to the decryption keys for newer discs. But then again, that's not really a big deal since A) You can just get a new player, and B) It's pretty unlikely that the key revocation feature would be used.

Grade

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
That has absolutely zero to do with iTunes buying. Disney+ is a streaming service and just like Netflix and Amazon, these title will expire. Just like videos get removed from YouTube etc. You are not buying a film on Disney+ you really are subscribing to a service of multiple channels and content and these will change.

It's really important not to confuse the two here. They are both opposite ends of the digital field.
Yes, of course, they are two different services. But the idea is basically the same, aren't they? The idea is play your movies without the need of storing them locally. It is one of the reasons Apple TV, hasn't a very big storage.

Yet, this kind of news, doesn't really give great guarantees, that Disney doesn't do the same for itunes movies and remove them from this store? Or any other big company do the same?

I'm not against the idea of streaming or digitally movies, but these news that happen across the years, doesn't give me really confidence on these services or their enterprises. Yes, at least Apple is the one that gives more confidence in it.

As for music, the same feelings, but they are easier to store on my drive, because each file occupy just a few MB. While 4K movie is around a 20+ GB of space, if Apple ever allow us download those versions, which we can't. Even a HD movie os around, what 4 or 5 GB each? Can you imagine storing a 200+ movie own list, like have physically (I own small collection compared to some collectors out there).

jbachandouris

macrumors 601
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Absolutely. BluRay, DVD, Digital Copy every time. This way I know I have a way to watch in case something gets pulled from iTunes.

I'm a sucker for the artwork, so still buying CD's....which I then import to iTunes.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Yes, of course, they are two different services. But the idea is basically the same, aren't they? The idea is play your movies without the need of storing them locally. It is one of the reasons Apple TV, hasn't a very big storage.

Yet, this kind of news, doesn't really give great guarantees, that Disney doesn't do the same for itunes movies and remove them from this store? Or any other big company do the same?

I'm not against the idea of streaming or digitally movies, but these news that happen across the years, doesn't give me really confidence on these services or their enterprises. Yes, at least Apple is the one that gives more confidence in it.

As for music, the same feelings, but they are easier to store on my drive, because each file occupy just a few MB. While 4K movie is around a 20+ GB of space, if Apple ever allow us download those versions, which we can't. Even a HD movie os around, what 4 or 5 GB each? Can you imagine storing a 200+ movie own list, like have physically (I own small collection compared to some collectors out there).
Yeah, you'd need about 4TB starting out for locally storing HD video. At that point, you're gonna need a NAS with 2-3 drive bays. Not that I'm opposed to doing that.

Reactions: Grade

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I haven't bought a dvd/bluray in years. I'm content to continue that mindset and I don't see myself buy any physical media again

Reactions: JBaby

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I haven't bought a dvd/bluray in years. I'm content to continue that mindset and I don't see myself buy any physical media again
I agree 100%. I was without my Mac a few weeks ago and had to play a disc. For me, it was like going back in time to 1999. Horrible. Loading a disc in a disc player with its thin plastic disc tray, cheap plastic disc box and then insulting copyright notices before a Windows 95 style disc menu. The whole experience was the exact opposite to what you get from using Apple designs.
That instantly made up my mind that I'd never use a disc ever again. But then to me, DVD felt really old when it launched due to the fact that it used a disc - something from the 1980s.

No thanks.

The YES are in the lead (in your poll). Did it surprise your pants off?
No as this forum page attracts an 'older' age group who are quite conservative in their thinking. Try asking the same question to under 30 year olds in Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, Bali etc.

jwolf6589

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I agree 100%. I was without my Mac a few weeks ago and had to play a disc. For me, it was like going back in time to 1999. Horrible. Loading a disc in a disc player with its thin plastic disc tray, cheap plastic disc box and then insulting copyright notices before a Windows 95 style disc menu. The whole experience was the exact opposite to what you get from using Apple designs.
That instantly made up my mind that I'd never use a disc ever again. But then to me, DVD felt really old when it launched due to the fact that it used a disc - something from the 1980s.

No thanks.

No as this forum page attracts an 'older' age group who are quite conservative in their thinking. Try asking the same question to under 30 year olds in Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, Bali etc.
You must not have hundreds of DVD's and Bluerays. I have hundreds of them so I need a disc player and a blue ray player. Hence I have one built into my mid 2012 MBP.

jeyf

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2009
we moved down sized and discarded all the physical media.
-ripped the stuff we wanted needed
-recycled the paper and plastic case
-tossed like a 1,000 CD/DVD disk

could not give them away

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I bought a few films from Redbox since they've been clearing out product for the year end. Also supposedly they are giving up on games, so getting console games has been cheap. I got the films from Redbox because the films I wanted weren't discounted digitally. So I bought $4 & $6 films, and now my PS4 disc drive has something to do.