Do you text with one hand or two?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bchreng, Sep 13, 2014.

?

Do you text with just one hand or both?

1. One hand

80 vote(s)
    37.2%
  2. Both hands

135 vote(s)
    62.8%
  1. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

This poll was inspired by this thread. When texting, do you guys use just one hand, or both? I have always used both hands to type out my messages and texts, unless I'm using Swype, which isn't very often.

2. urkel macrumors 68030

I hate to break it to people but "one handed use" is a myth. This was never something based on fact, it is something that was created by people on message boards trying to justify why the industry is going with bigger phones and Apple was lagging behind. The truth of smartphone use (including the iPhone) is that it was ALWAYS a two handed device.

Yes, there are many many times that one-handed phone operation can be done but for the most part then those functions will not be gone once you get a larger screen because 4.7" and 5.5" aren't as big as people think.

So I'm glad that Apple users are finally getting big screens because, as proven for years now on other platforms, if you're open minded enough to give it a try, bigger devices do improve the user experience.

3. est1738 macrumors regular

This person knows whats going on.

I myself noticed that the only time I usually "one hand" my phone is when I grab it out of my pocket to check the time. Or causally scrolling through Twitter. Thats about it.

4. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

It depends what I'm doing.

If I'm walking but I need to text someone, one handed.
    If I'm checking a feed (Twitter/Instagram/Facebook) one handed.
    If I'm playing a game, two handed.
    If I'm sitting down texting someone, two handed.

I generally like having one hand free whenever I'm doing something, so I have become used to using my iPhone one handed. But one handed use is not the only reason why I didn't get the 6 Plus. Huge in the pocket, difficult to even hold (feel like you're gonna drop it etc). I would have been hugely upset if the iPhone's screen didn't get bigger, but 4.7" is big enough for me. I maybe would have jumped to 5" if they'd sorted the bezels out. But alas, 5.5" with those bezels? Too big for me.

5. lewismayell macrumors 6502a

Two handed typing is just quicker. And it means I'm less likely to keep pressing backspace instead of M and ****ing up all of my messages

6. menist macrumors regular

menist

Two, use to have a tmobile sidekick, back then lol.

7. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

I find one handed typing awfully uncomfortable even on my 4S. I don't think my 6+ will make a difference honestly.

8. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Wow, I guess I'm a myth now just because some guy half the world away decided to say so.

I literally just picked up my iPhone 4 and spent the last 30 seconds trying to figure out how am I supposed to use my phone with 2 hands. Nope, couldn't figure out how to split that tiny screen between my two thumbs.

9. Zxxv macrumors 68040

I haven't text'd one handed since moving to touch screens. Texting one handed was easy on physical keypads. You could even do it with the phone held down at your side.

10. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

well so far there are 12 of us myth's :p

i tend to even be one handed on my iMacs key board

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

12. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I do everything with one-hand hence why I ordered the 6 for myself.

13. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Bull... I've always used my iPhone one-handed and I want to keep doing that and it's much more practical than going landscape and using both hands. First of all, in many situations I'm using my iPhone, my left hand isn't available to begin with, like standing in the subway with my left hand on the rails.

14. miamialley, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I use a Galaxy S4 with Swype keyboard. Only need one hand. If I had a current iPhone I would have to use two to be faster. When you guys have Swype you'll use one, also.

15. Mrs. Jobs macrumors member

16. bchreng thread starter macrumors 65816

bchreng

Same here. I would use Swype on my S4 more often, but I noticed that whenever it's active, I don't have access to the smilies.

17. kyussmondo macrumors member

One of the original iPhone videos showed a tutorial of how typing with two thumbs is faster. Ever since then I have always typed with two thumbs. Learn to trust auto-correct and you can type very quickly.

18. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

Although I tend to agree with you, I do think there are many valid scenarios where one-hand use comes into play. These are almost exclusively when you're walking around, maybe carrying a bag in your other hand. For example, maybe you want to change your music, that's easily done with one hand. Or check navigation on a map.

It will be interesting to see how well the zoom function works for these types of tasks.

19. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I always text two handed unless in a pinch. But otherwise I almost exclusively use my phone one handed, using my thumb as the pointer.

I guess that will change when I get my 6 plus on Friday.

20. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

That was an awesome device way ahead of its time. Even had an app store with like, seriously, one app.

21. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

22. Zxxv macrumors 68040

that may have been true in the past and even up to ios5 and iOS 6 but iOS 7 autocorrect and even mac osx now is terrible. Something went wrong.

23. toliy253 macrumors member

50-50. When I want speed, I type mostly with two. But to be honest, the speed is negligible.

24. CEmajr macrumors 601

I text one handed a lot if it's a quick reply or something. For longer messages or speed I'll use two hands.