iPad Do you think an iPad will suffice, instead of a full computer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GKDAIR, Jul 16, 2014.

1. GKDAIR macrumors regular

A little backstory. My computer is nearly 3 years old and the apple warranty will be expired this year.

It's still a fine machine and perfectly serviceable, but all of my tech is starting to get out of date.

I'm currently using an Ipad 3, and while it's been serviceable, I can start to see some slow down with apps and other things.

Now now the question comes if I would rather spend money on a new computer or the newest generation of ipad.

I would still have my computer, so for things that absolutely need a computer I wouldn't be SOL.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

What kind of Mac do you have? Is it portable?

What kind of Mac are you interested in?

I personally don't have an iPad as I prefer the portability of my iPhone.
    In any case if you can buy it with zero interest financing it would be the best way to get a new one either Mac or iPad.

3. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

what does " all of my tech is starting to get out of date" mean?

4. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

Go with the computer. The iPad is fine for light web browsing, but anything that involves a lot of typing or simultaneous use of multiple applications is clunky.

5. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

I agree. I took my iPad for a week to work to see how it would fair taking notes and it wasn't the greatest. It's good for certain tasks but certainly doesn't replace a computer yet.

6. cababah macrumors 68000

No way; it is possible to achieve MOST computer tasks on it but you will waste a lot of time and lose efficiency trying to increase its usage beyond its scope.

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

What do you do with your computer? The answer to your question is directly related to the answer to this question.

8. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

If you feel that your current computer still meets your needs quite well, then by all means, just keep the computer and upgrade the iPad. I've got 4 year old computers that are still running perfectly fine (all with SSDs). x86 processors (even ones from 6 years back) are plenty powerful and I highly doubt even the A7 can do the heavy lifting your current Mac is capable of.

9. New Apple macrumors regular

I think the ipad is a computer substitute for a lot of ppl in this planet

There are 2 categories, producers and enjoyers

If u r not going to photoshop, 3d rendering, audio editing, websites building-ftp, and such stuff you are more than fine with tablets

Reading, writing, listening music, play games, surf, watch movies, check ur bank account, use any kind of apps
    Doesnt really require a pc.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You really don't define what your uses are.

I'd say the iPad can replace some of the functionality of a computer (laptop/desktop) but not all. I mean it may be able to perform the task, but it won't do it as easily and efficiently. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Its been said quite a bit and I agree with it. The iPad is great at content consumption, and a desktop/laptop is great at content creation. Why not use the tool that works best for the task.

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It all breaks down to how often you use your computer and for what. For many the iPad replaces, others it supplements and others, like me, both are mandatory.

12. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I agree. I will say though that an iPad CAN be used for creation and of course laptops CAN be used for consumption. For basic, lighter productivity the iPad does amazingly well. You just cant expect it to crank out a massive spreadsheet or novel as easily as a good old laptop. That's why most of us have both. ;)

13. GKDAIR thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for nothing guys, literally no help at all.

Guess I'l just have to drive down to the apple store and ask them.

Wow.

14. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Are you ****ing kidding me?

15. cababah macrumors 68000

That's what happens when you ask a question that varies from person to person. Lesson learned.

16. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Obviously he wasn't told what he wanted to hear. :rolleyes:

17. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

lmaooooo!!!

18. cynics macrumors G4

Yep.

Dumb question anyway from someone that already owns an iPad and a Mac.

19. graystone macrumors newbie

I'm going to take a slightly different tack here and say that if you are asking if you need a computer, then you probably don't. If you do a lot of content creation or similar tasks, you wouldn't even need to ask if you need a computer. As a user who has had both a Mac and an iPad for several years, here's the reality, from my own narrow perspective:

90 to 99% of what you do now on a computer you will be able to do on a tablet, from web browsing to emails to games to even basic to moderately advanced word processing. One poster stated that if you do a lot of typing you should get a computer, but even that objection doesn't quite hold up. There are some fantastic keyboard cases available for the iPad. I can personally recommend one from Zagg as being lightweight, elegant, and eminently useable. Combined with Pages and Office it is a very credible laptop substitute.

For the once-in-a-while occasions when you might need the full computer, you will still have your old one, and between it and your new iPad you will be able to do everything you do now and much more, and you will find yourself using your iPad for the vast majority of it.

I think most of the Posters here are making the question too difficult, so there's my two cents, for what it's worth.

20. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

How did this post get down voted?? Currently it is -3!

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Downvote buttons showed up for a while earlier today. I guess the mods were configuring the forum, and they got turned on, then they got turned off again.

22. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

Since they are both working, upgrade the device you use the most. If you use them both equally, upgrade the oldest device. If they're the same age, upgrade the slowest. The other one can wait.

23. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

You do that, and then you can listen to the Apple employee ask you the very same questions others have asked you on here. :rolleyes:

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No offense but what were you expecting? I gave my opinion, which is just my perspective.

If you really want to replace your computer with an iPad, no one is stopping you. Many people have done it and are happy, others did it, and were not happy. The point, you need to validate what works best for your situation. We cannot make up your mind for you.

25. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

lol who has a 3 year old mac that is slow and out of date? my almost 4 year old iMac was bought used, and still runs very quickly and reliably. i have done a fresh install of every OS since lion and plan to keep it on mavericks instead of going to Yosemite. unless i was trying to render 4k video 24/7, this computer will last me another few years into college... wow. just wow.