Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thetechfixer

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
Canada
I wouldn't use an iPad as a main computer. It is nice to have a computer for the harder tasks and an iPad for web browsing video watching etc.

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
A little backstory. My computer is nearly 3 years old and the apple warranty will be expired this year.

It's still a fine machine and perfectly serviceable, but all of my tech is starting to get out of date.

I'm currently using an Ipad 3, and while it's been serviceable, I can start to see some slow down with apps and other things.

Now now the question comes if I would rather spend money on a new computer or the newest generation of ipad.

I would still have my computer, so for things that absolutely need a computer I wouldn't be SOL.

EDIT: Nevermind. OP is troll/rude. Here's hoping he gets mauled by a moose or something equally awful.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
No but it almost does. I use my ipad everyday and can use it to do about 90% of my computing tasks. There are a few things that I need a proper computer for though. It's quite annoying as I probably only need to use a computer about once a month or maybe even once every two months. So I'm almost at the stage where I could ditch a computer but I need it for those few things that the iPad can't do.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
A little backstory. My computer is nearly 3 years old and the apple warranty will be expired this year.

It's still a fine machine and perfectly serviceable, but all of my tech is starting to get out of date.

I'm currently using an Ipad 3, and while it's been serviceable, I can start to see some slow down with apps and other things.

Now now the question comes if I would rather spend money on a new computer or the newest generation of ipad.

I would still have my computer, so for things that absolutely need a computer I wouldn't be SOL.

Interesting.

Seeing as you will be keeping your PC I'd say go ahead and get a new iPad, BUT bare in mind that an iPad is no computer replacement, no iPad to date can replace the power and versatility of even a 5 year old PC or laptop, it's not possible, we are not there yet.

The iPad is a great content consumption device, but when it comes to content creation it has a lot of limitations that could frustrate you and bring down productivity to a hualt. If your PC is still running fine, does all that you need and is still fast enough and usable then yes go and get an iPad.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
lol who has a 3 year old mac that is slow and out of date? my almost 4 year old iMac was bought used, and still runs very quickly and reliably. i have done a fresh install of every OS since lion and plan to keep it on mavericks instead of going to Yosemite. unless i was trying to render 4k video 24/7, this computer will last me another few years into college... wow. just wow.

Agree. I know plenty of people with 5-7 year old macs that are still quite happy with them.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
No offense but what were you expecting? I gave my opinion, which is just my perspective.

If you really want to replace your computer with an iPad, no one is stopping you. Many people have done it and are happy, others did it, and were not happy. The point, you need to validate what works best for your situation. We cannot make up your mind for you.

It looks like they wanted a reaction.

...https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18514780#post18514780...?

I know its against forum rules to call someone a troll but what else is this?

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
Thanks for nothing guys, literally no help at all.

Guess I'l just have to drive down to the apple store and ask them.

Wow.

Dude.... Are you serious bro? All the responses contained good, intelligent advice and questions. Not sure what else you expected????

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

An iPad can never really 100% replace a computer. My advice would be to replace both. If you can't do both, then replace the computer first.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013

This question is impossible to answer.

You need to ask "can I do _________ with an iPad!". Then the answer will be yes or no. If you need to do _______ and the iPad can't do it then the answer is NO. Very simple.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX

What do you use your Mac for??

For email, web browsing, social, run of mill every day stuff, and iPad is great (I use iPad 85% of time)

If you need to run a certain application or need software only on a full computer, and that work needs high end hardware, that is your answer.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Sorry it is off topic... Many of you think iPad should replace computer then I was thinking about Microsoft Surface Pro, Do you really think it replaces computers? I assumed Surface Pro is part of computer and part of tablet. :apple:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
Kind of funny that you think a three year old computer is old tech. I have a 4 year old Mac book pro and its still running great. What kind of PC do you have? Ipads are entertainment and media consumption devices. If that's all you do with your PC then the ipad can replace a computer in your case. It's not good if you need to do work like photo or video editing.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
what does " all of my tech is starting to get out of date" mean?

Someone who needs new electronics to fulfill his life. Some sort of inferiority complex, child hood trauma or something like that. Nothing based in common sense nor practicality, just status symbol.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
Interesting.

Seeing as you will be keeping your PC I'd say go ahead and get a new iPad, BUT bare in mind that an iPad is no computer replacement, no iPad to date can replace the power and versatility of even a 5 year old PC or laptop, it's not possible, we are not there yet.

The iPad is a great content consumption device, but when it comes to content creation it has a lot of limitations that could frustrate you and bring down productivity to a hualt. If your PC is still running fine, does all that you need and is still fast enough and usable then yes go and get an iPad.

I'm about to use the iPad Air 2, when it comes out, as my only computer. I don't have a desktop at home and sold the laptop.

I can do any document editing or creation I need.

I can do any design I do on the desktop on the iPad.

For me it will replace the laptop nicely. A lot more user friendly, a lot thinner and let's face it, more fun to use.

I think it has to do with what the person does. If I had to code all day, then it wouldn't be able to replace my laptop.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
Sorry it is off topic... Many of you think iPad should replace computer then I was thinking about Microsoft Surface Pro, Do you really think it replaces computers? I assumed Surface Pro is part of computer and part of tablet. :apple:

The Surface is a laptop.

I disagree with the definition of a tablet. Basically a tablet is a computer device that has a touch screen and you don't need a mouse and keyboard to interact with it.

I don't agree. I think a tablet is defined by the OS it runs. A tablet for me HAS to be running a mobile OS. A desktop OS doesn't want to be touched, therefore Windows Tablets suck. Same reason why an iPad doesn't run the same OSX as iMac. It would he insane.

There is a certain design for tablets and a design for desktop. You can't mix both or it'll suck.

If you use a surface and open Photoshop, it opens the desktop Photoshop. You try and navigate desktop Photoshop with your fingers. Impossible. Out comes the stylus. Do you really want to use a stylus? Hold with one hand and poke at it with the other?

Not to mention, when you're in Photoshop, you're constantly using the keyboard. One hand on the keyboard the other on the mouse. Why? Because it is designed for a desktop OS. So, you'll have the kickstand. The MS flappy keyboard and a mouse with your surface when dealing with most apps. Why? Because it is a laptop, really.

This is the reason the surface is a total failure. People don't want to touch their desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.