Do You THink Apple Will Replace My iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appleguy123, Jul 4, 2009.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

A long time ago I went to get my iphone looked at because the microphone was not recognizing the inline mic, Apple told me one of the water sensors was activated. Soon after the mic started working again. About a week ago I realized there was a crack on my iPhone about 1/2 of an inch in length (from the bottom by the 30-pin dock connector to about halfway to all the FCC symbols and warnings). Now even though it has water damage to you think Apple will replace the iPhone? And if they decide to do you think they would allow me to pay a little more to get an iphone 3g S, and if so what would you approximate that fee to be?

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

No... if your water sensor is tripped they will not help you..

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You can always give it a shot, but I would not be too hopeful since the water sensor is tripped.

4. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Thanks, for the quick replies but are you sure of this? It makes sense for them not to help me with the internal components but a crack on the outside that has absolutely nothing to do with water damage. I am not trying to argue or contradict you guys but more trying to figure out what made you judge this.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Because that's just the way it is. The water sensor being tripped voids the warranty. They don't "have" to do anything for you. They might, but I doubt it.

6. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

What do you guys think would be the best way to go about this? i can email sjobs@apple.com call the 1800-my-iphone number or make a genius appointment online. Which do you think has the best chance of success?

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The genius appt. None of the others are worth your time, especially emailing Jobs.

8. cpljwlusmc macrumors regular

I don't think emailing Steve Jobs will help you. If the water sensor is tripped, then they can't tell if the damage is attributed to a general hardware defect, or by water seeping into the device. Even if the water sensor wasn't tripped, the crack is considered damage by user negligence, and they don't cover that in the warranty, either.

Basically, Apple will not help you.

9. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I know people get iphones replaced for cracks all the time its a well know defect

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

So, I guess you were just looking for us to tell you that you can get a replacement.

Sure, water damage, cracks, no problem, they'll replace it. :rolleyes:

11. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Look, here's how it usually plays out.

If the water sensors show water "damage" you're done for. There's no way to prove the device's dysfunction is NOT due to the water exposure.

99.9% of the time, water damage/detection prior to your sending in for repair trumps everything else.

12. dave006 macrumors 68020

Sorry but you are not the first person to want to get warranty service on an iPhone that has a void warranty due to liquid (water) damage. We are just trying to prepare you for the exchange with Apple.

Just read the warranty and you will see why Apple can ignore your cracked case because your warranty is void.

As of May, Apple modified the Out of Warranty Serviced (OWS) Exchange policy to allow liquid damaged phones to be replaced for $199. This is the option that 99.9% of the Apple Genius techs will offer you. You might find that if you are friendly and don't start a fight with the tech, you might walk out with a refurbished iPhone. Again, don't expect it but if it happens (there have been some reports here on the forum but not many).

Dave

13. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

THanks for the advice. I never really have been known as rude rude person and i'd says its my turn to get lucky (you would think this was more funny if you knew how the sensor was tripped (playing the ocarina lol))

14. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

You were blowing into the microphone on the iPhone?????? :eek:

They will replace it for $200. That's the water damage policy.

15. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

ya stupid me using a product as advised how dare me!!! just shows my stupidity

16. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

You will only get a replacement of the same exact product, it is very rare for Apple to let you exchange up to an iPhone 3GS by paying a difference.

17. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Okay thanks for the info

18. cpljwlusmc macrumors regular

Look, you're just looking for us to tell you "SURE APPLE WILL GIVE YOU FREE EVERYTHING".

Once the water sensors are tripped, the technicians cannot determine if the fault is due to a defect in the product, or if it was caused by water damage.

Plus, Apple never acknowledged an issue with cracking cases on any iPhone. Therefore, there is no sort of exchange program set up for that.

For example, when the MacBook AC Adapters would fray and spark, Apple acknowledged this and set up an exchange program.

I've owned 5 different iPhone 3G's. Each one was an exchange because of faulty hardware. But never one did I have have a cracked case. I've actually gotten Apple to upgrade me to an iPhone 3G S because of all the phones I've had. But never has one had a cracked case.

My diagnosis? You don't know how to take care of your stuff and you expect Apple to fix it for you. Honestly, if you've tripped the water sensor on the phone, I can't imagine what else you've done to that thing. The crack on the casing is probably a result of that.

But before this becomes a flame war, the fact is, Apple will not help you. Unless you pay them, that is.

19. iArrudaG macrumors regular

iArrudaG

Apple is under no obligation to help you once you trip your water sensor. Sorry dude. :eek:

20. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I 100% agree. How many more people have to let the OP know that Apple don't have to fix this phone?

OP, you can at least try to take it to an Apple Genius but don't go in there expecting it to be replaced. If they do you will be lucky, if not then there is nothing you can do apart from paying for the repair sadly.

21. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Why do you even ask us the question if you're not going to listen to the answer? Please stop wasting bandwidth and people's time.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it is a long shot now. But give it a try, the worst they can do is say no.

23. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

That is a very harsh response. You jump to judgements very quickly.

First, you don't know that the OP dosen't take care of their phone just b/c a water sensor has been tripped. That topic has been discussed around here ad nauseum, and it is pretty clear that those sensors can be set off be ambient moisture, which is not the fault of the owner.

Second, the cracked case is a totally separate issue from the sensors. I have never read anywhere where Apple will refuse to deal with any other issue on the phone which is unrelated just b/c the sensor has been tripped.

They are separate issues, especially if the Genius did not document a cracking case issue as part of the visit where the tripped sensor was discovered.

I would take the phone in again, show them the issue, be polite, and continue to press the issue until I had satisfaction. Apple should not be let off the hook for any other unrelated issues with the phone just b/c the sensor has tripped. Of course, alot of what happens depends on which Genius you happen to meet with, which is another issue entirely.

24. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

You could open your phone up and replace the sensors with white paper lol. But if I were you I would look at all the phones at the apple store and check them for cracks. When I went to the apple store 4 out of 5 iPhones They had on display had cracks at the ringer switch. Tell the genius the iPhone has cracks in it, and if they say anything about the water sensor, tell them your here for the cracks not the water damage. Who knows water could have gotten into the phone through the crack? And if there is any cracks in the iPhones on display there be sure to tell them that way they can't say you have an isolated case.

25. dave006 macrumors 68020

The problem with this idea is that the warranty is VOID. Once the liquid sensors are tripped your warranty is VOID. So if you bring it in for any other issue, 99.999% of the time the Apple Genius tech will be forced to tell you that the iPhone is now Out of Warranty and the best option for you is the OWS program and you get to pay $199 for a refurbished iPhone or in the case of the iPhone 3GS a whitebox "new" unit until the refubished pipeline is stocked with actual refubished iPhone 3GS units.

Dave